Author Topic: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon  (Read 306958 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »
lies?  it's not us telling the lies here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline wrathfulhoof1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »
NO SHE DOESNT LIE!!!! I TOO AM A SURVIVOR OF THE ROLOFF HOMES!!! I am a former roloff attendee. I can vouch for most of the stories that have happened and can add many more since i was a particpant from anchrtraz from 82-85
             eric
               hoof to those that know me
too am alive and kickin after anchortraz

Offline notworking

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »
On 2004-04-06 14:58:00, Melanie wrote:

Memories from children, true or false? Who's to know?

This thinking has led to a tremendous amount of harm in the world.  Children abused by teachers, priests, ministers, youth counselors because "children don't know what they're saying, they can't distinguish fantasy from reality."  It's a crock.  Stories of being abused are inherently humiliating to tell.  Why would SO MANY people bring this up if it didn't happen?  People who didn't see it might have done just that -- NOT SEEN IT.  Or they may have an agenda -- look at the poster who wanted to know someone's name so she could REPORT them, for heaven's sake.

Well, one thing is for sure, I would have hated it till the end had I not accepted the LORD to live inside my heart. It made ALL the difference in the world.

The Lord gives us the strength to get through anything if we open ourselves to Him.  The fact that you experienced His grace at Rebekah doesn't meant that it was a good place.  Many people experienced God's grace in concentration camps -- Corrie TenBoom made a living writing and speaking about it.  That doesn't mean they weren't evil.

It IS nessasary to start over fresh every day. It feels good to wipe the slate clean before going to bed at night.

The same is true to let the past stay where it is, in the past.

NO.  You do not wipe the slate clean every night.  Confession and forgiveness are necessary, but not sufficient to salvation.  You must SIN NO MORE.  Abusing children is a sin.  Although I don't agree with him about everything, Pope John Paul II was right when he said it was one of the most grievous sins a person could commit.  It doesn't matter how many times you confess and beg for forgiveness, even mean it, if you go back to that sin again and again and again.  Intimidating other people, trying to avoid the consequences of your actions, those are sins, too.  Even if you stop abusing children, you have an obligation to admit what you did so that the people you abused can get the help and closure they need.

First of all, I too didn't have a period for the entire year I lived at the Rebekah Home. I think this happened because our life styles had changed so dramatically and our hormones where affected from this. Also, most of the food that was prepared for us to consume, were very healthy and good for us. Though, I do remember a lot of starchy foods as well, which is full of carbs, and explains why so many of us gained tons of weight. Too much weight gain or loss, can affect a womans/girls cycle. I for one was quite happy for not having to deal with having a period for a year. Who wouldn't be?

Well, an OB/Gyn wouldn't be, for starters.  What you're describing is called amenorrhea, a medical condition.  Weight gain or loss can cause you to skip a period or two, but not for a whole year.  That's a sign of something more troubling.  Either you were being fed hormones OR you were stressed to the point that your bodies were constantly flooded with adrenalin.  Women fleeing war or living in refugee camps often don't have periods because losing blood/carrying a baby could kill them.  Otherwise, if you go to the doctor and say "I haven't had a period in a year," s/he's gonna be concerned.

YES, THERE WAS A LOCK UP ROOM.

I spent a week in lock up and I had wackings on my be-hind a few times. Of course it hurt. I think that was the point, but I did not bleed or bruise. I pay attention to detail. Knowing this, it is hard for me to imagine true "abuse" exsisting in that Home. I think I would've noticed. Others would have told me. Wouldn't they?

Striking a child with an object is abuse, period.  Do it more than once and your child will be removed from your home in most states.  Striking teenagers is not only abusive physically, but mentally as well.  Plus it's stupid.  Teenagers may be motivated by humiliation and pain in the short term, but in the long run you get resentment.  If you couldn't recognize that you were being abused, why would you have recognized it happening to someone else?

< The tub didn't work, and I wanted to bathe. That was gross in itself. And, I heard later, that roaches lived in the room and came out at night where we'd sleep on the floor with a single mattress. Yuck. Yuck...There were no windows either. And, when I would sing out loud, (cause I do), "worldly" things,  such as singing popular songs, the lights would be turned off. I had no control over the lights at all.

Again, this is abuse.  Do it to your kids and you'll lose them and (hopefully) go to jail.  Even in the 80s, if you locked your kid in a filthy room with no windows on a single mattress and turned out the lights when the kid tried to comfort himself by singing, you would have had to explain it to a judge.

It is good that you've made peace with your experience.  But others can't.  And when you invalidate their experiences -- waxing rhapsodic about fresh oranges and tanning -- you turn them away.  Did you ever think that maybe some girls from Rebekah came to associate their treatment there with God and decided to have nothing more to do with Him?  Do you think Christ would have approved of these methods?  Anything that stands between people and salvation is just plain wrong, no matter how well intentioned it may be.

Offline Melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »
Hello "Familiar Face",
I wish to respond to the post above.....
Thank you for your acknowledgment and your comments regarding my posting~

You must first know, I am NOT an advocate of child abuse, or abuse of any kind. It is in my nature to protect those who are suffering. It is a passion that lives deep inside of me, and it will never leave me~

Though, you have made me aware, that I too, lived through a form of abuse. I am becoming more and more aware of the abuse and suffering, of others, particularly, those from the Roloff Homes. I myself do not come from a physically abusive home. I apologize that I am slow to learn in this area. I do, however, come from a mental abusive up bringing. So, at least I can try to comprehend the "mind" part of all of this. Bare with me as I learn more, please.

My way of "thinking", as I posted, "God knows", was an attempt to help bring others peace in their mind, to remind them that they are not alone. Another words, He knows the whole truth(s). He will bring out in the light, which was once in the dark.

I NEVER implied that people are/were lying. I believe everyones story. Why wouldn't I? The Homes were in operation for thirty-something years. Many different people ran the Homes over the span of many years. Some "good", some, "bad", so how could I or you, ever not believe what others proclaim? Most of us only lived there for a few years, or less. It would be nonsense to try to speak on behalf of others who lived at the Homes in different times. And, once again, this is common sense.

Furthermore, I never said it was a "good place", nor a "bad place". It was neither to me. But, that was MY experience, not necessarily yours. And, I respect that~ Also, it would be nice if those who were "abused", could find it in thier hearts, to respect those who do not have the same awfull memories. For, neither the abused nor the non abused, are to blame... We were children, remember that~

You have said good and interesting things in your posting, I am glad that you spoke up. That is what this is all about, after all~

I too admire the teachings of Corrie Ten Boom. I have a wonderful devotional book by her. It is called, "Each New Day",in case you would like to check it out. We can never begin to understand, the sufferings that she had to endure, or all of the souls murdered in the Holocaust. Now that is an issue that really pisses me off.

YES. I do wipe the slate clean every night, and, I always will. There isn't any reason to get so deep in this area. It is a generalization. Haven't you ever heard that saying about the sun going down? ( I can't remember it right now), however what you do before you go to bed each night, is your own business. I will respect that too~

You are right! Every one has the "obligation', to ask forgiveness to those they've/we've  harmed, and closure is VERY important. Everyday~

I stand corrected on the OB/GYN issue. Though, as an adult, when ever I had gained extra weight in the past, this would happen to me, like it did in the Home. I assumed it was "the" cause. I was wrong, and "thank you", for that info. I wonder if "Amenorrhea", has something to do with the fact that my husband and I haven't conceived a baby yet. But, thats another sad issue that perhaps, I'll have to overcome too~

I do wonder if any of the abused people are doing anything about there past abuse now. Who would one go to talk to? Do you have any sugestions???Have any of you pressed charges? I probably would have, (if I personally had a reason to), but, I would have done it a long time ago~ then again, thats just me~

I can assure you, that if I had ever witnessed anything alarming, anything at all,  I would not have kept it to myself. No way man~

Others CAN make peace with their past experiences, and they must, or else, they will fade away for sure, and wake up to be little old men and women with a scrunched up grumpy face. Not good~~

All through the ages, people of "faith", have had to suffer greatly. I don't know why, do you? But, there must be a reason for it. Once we get over "this" thing, there will be another "thing"...Thats LIFE....THATS LIFE..Most of our answers, are right in front of us sometimes, and we don't choose to recognize them~At least, that has been my experience.

By the way, I still love oranges, swings, sunshine, and rock and roll~ and for these simple pleasures that God gave me to "survive with", I do not feel the need to apologize~

Thanks again Familar face. You have so much passion, perhaps you can do a lot of good in the world with it~ You go girl!
Melanie

[ This Message was edited by: Melanie on 2004-04-26 05:20 ][ This Message was edited by: Melanie on 2004-04-27 12:20 ]

Offline nett

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 01:59:00 AM »
i was there in 79 -80 and seen none of what you are saying

Any Irishman who doubts the reality of selective enforcement ought to take just a moment to comtemplate the etymology of the term "paddy waggon".
--Antigen

have looked at all you haft to say and it is hard to believe that you would tell such lies.I only have great memories of Rebekahi was there from4-79/6-80 and i never saw any of the things you all are talking about.i had great friends kim smith was my ve

Offline iknowcedulies

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2004, 09:56:00 PM »
i survived cedu in running springs in 84 but i am willing to talk to all cult survivors

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
I was there from 1978-1980. I still cry. I cant forget. Onegirl left and shot father. Two of my friends came up missing.Roger Minnix beat me with a boat paddle.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »
We are still afraid because 24 hrs. a day you lived in fear there.  They are still continuing to do what they have done for decades. They have even propigated their lies to the point that Texas Govenor George W. Bush gave them free reign i.e. HB 2482. I was one of the girls they hid in Georgia when they were closed in 79.Hunger,lock-up, licks in excess of 78,bleeding,lack of mensus, made to stand or kneel for hours on end. I'VE SEEN IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! And every day it haunts me.
     Where do they get all their money besides donations?  Grapefruit groves, orangegroves,( I helped to harvest the fruit. I,ve seen them.) produce,audio cassettes, movies,(yes I'm in one)fishing boats, shrimp boats,evangelists for hire, singing groups,a day care center,at one time a retirement home, milk production, livestock, various small businesses on the property. And guess what folks?  It's all tax free.
     The greatest tradgedy of this is not what they did to me, or others in the past. The true tradgedy is that they are still in operation creating more of us suvivors who will be scared, who will look for a web sight for somebody that understands, who will still cry when the memories of torture and licks and lock-up come back even when that horrible place is over 20 years behind them, and wonder what happend to the ones they treated the worst, or their friends.
     Faye Cameron has a court order by the State of Texas never to work in any type of juvenile facility again. So, where are they now? Did they run to Mississippi or Missouri or Georgia again? I know they are operating somewhere....making more suvivors.

Offline LIZ MALDONADO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
HELLO EVERYONE, MY NAME IS ELIZABETH I WAS ONE OF THE SURIVORS ALSO.WELL I NEVER EVER THOUGHT THAT THERE WAS SO MUCH GOING ON WITH LESTER ROLOFF LIFE.SORRY WE MEANING ME AND MY SISTERS NEVER CALL HIM BROTHER ROLOFF OR LESTER ROLOFF. HE HAD ME AND MY SISTERS CALL HIM DADDY ROLOFF.WELL ANY WAYS WE GOT TO THE HOME IN DECEMBER OF 1976.OUR MOTHER DIE JUNE OF 76. SO OUR FATHER WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH US.HE TOKE US IN AND BOY DID HE BEAT US NOT FEED US AND NO SCHOOL.HOW DID WE GET TO CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS IS WHAT I ALWAYS ASK BUT WE DID.WE CAME FROM CHICAGO ME AND MY TWO SISTERS AND TWO BROTHER.SO ANYWAY HERE IS MY STORY.WHEN WE FIRST GOT TO THE HOME WE WAS SCARE OUR MOM DIED AND OUR FATHER DID NOT WANT US,SO WE WAS SCARE BEING IN A PLACE WHERE WE DONT KNOW ANY ONE.I GUESS IT WAS NOT BAD THE FIRST MONTHWE WAS THERE. BUT THE RULES,WAS KILLING ALL OF US.I GUESS WE LIKE THAT DADDY ROLOFF USE TO COME OVER AND TAKE US PLACES JUST ME AND MY SISTERS WE LIKE THAT HAVING A FATHER WE NEVER HAD.BUT ONCE HE TOKE US BACK TO THE DORM THATS WHEN THE NIGHTMARE BEGAN.ALOT OF THE STAFF MEMEBER DID NOT LIKE THAT WE GOT TO GO OUT WITH DADDY ROLOFF.NOW I CAN TELL YOU ALL MY NIGHTMARE I WHEN THRU IN THERE BUT TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH IT HURTS ALOT.MY LITTLE SISTER HER NAME IS ESPERANZA GOT BEATEN SO BAD THE SHE HAD BRUSES AND BLEAD LIKE YOU WONT BELIVE.AND TO MAKE THINGS WORST THEY WOULD'NT LET ME OR MY SISTER MARIA IN THE ROOM TO TAKE CARE OF HER.YOU SEE MY SISTER IS SLOW TILL THIS DAY SHE STILL DONT KNOW HOW TO READ.SHE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE.AS FOR MY SISTER MARIA SHE IS THE OLDEST SHE WAS ALWAYS TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF ME AND OUR LITTLE SISTER SO SHE WAS ALWAYS LOCKED UP IN A ROOM.CAUSE SHE WAS ALWAYS GETTING INTO FIGHT IF ANYONE MESS WITH US..WE WHEN THRU HELL IN THAT PLACE. YES WE WAS LOVE BY DADDY ROLOFF BUT HE ALSO USED US ON TV FEELING SORRY FOR US CAUSE WE HAD NO FAMILY AND HE ALWAYS USED MY MOM'S DEATH SO PEOPLE COULD SEE WHAT A GOOD MAN HE WAS.MAYBE HE WAS CAUSE I DO REMEMBER ALOT OF GOOD TIME WITH HIM AND SOME OF THE GIRLS IN THERE WAS VERY GOOD TO US.SOME.I STILL TODAY HAVE NIGHTMARES OF THAT PLACE.I DONT KNOW IF THE HOME ARE STILL OPEN BUT IF IT IS GOD BLESS ALL THE GIRLS IN THERE AND THE FAMILY WHO BUT THEM IN THERE.WELL THATS ALL AND SORRY I DONT KNOW HOW TO WRITE THAT GOOD HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND...LOVE ELIZABETH        1976-1978

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2004, 03:50:00 PM »
Dear Elizabeth
 I know. I believe. I am the one who wrote the letter befor yours.

Love You

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »
"Evangelist Lester Roloff drew a line in the dirt to keep the State of Texas from regulating his Rebekah Home for Girls. Years later, George W. Bush's plan to free faith-based institutions from government rules handed Roloff's disciples a long-sought victory. But this Alamo had no heroes-only victims like DeAnne Dawsey".

Source:
http://www.teenadvocatesusa.homestead.com/roloff.html

Offline Melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for sharing your story with us.You write very nicely and I understand where you are coming from.  It is clear, that you and your sisters are very close. Blood is thicker than anything, at least it should be. I wish the very best for you and your sisters.
May you all be blessed, and blessed well~

Take care my friend~
Melanie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 01:53:00 AM »
Hi , i was there in 78, I remember ole Minix.
Sorry he hurt you...  
I have been struggling for many years to get to the healing I am now at.

Glad to see you...wonder if we remember each other?

Be interested in finding out...

I am now healed, but have struggled a long time in healing. my experience in Rebekah was very detrimental to my emotional and mental stability.
But Gods Grace has prevailed inspite of the damages done...

Gods Peace
[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 02:13:00 AM »
Hi Liz...and sisters...Patricia ALexander here...
Hi and I feel like I am nearly home to hear you on here...
been a long hard road to healing, I am now 40...
how are you?
please contact me...
would love to get reaquainted...

My experiences at Rebekah were detrimental to my mental and emotional wellbeing....
I have been in recovery for going on over 8 years...

Please contact me when you can...
[email protected]
love Patricia

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2004, 02:25:00 AM »
HI Patricia here...
one time back some time ago, i was surfing web, and was reading a page for Baptist Missions, and found a letter that Br.Charles Crumb (new leader in place of Cameron..), wrote, he wrote it telling that the Rebekah Home had been re-located to FLORIDA, in 2001...
and I had also learned that the Camerons had "retired" to Georgia...

I was there in Rebekah in 1977-1978...
write me when you can...my life has been mainly just learning to survive and heal and try to be all in one mind since that fateful year of my life..

would like to get acquainted

sincerely
Patricia Alexander-- survivor 1977-78
[email protected]