Author Topic: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon  (Read 309615 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Lester Roloffs Rebekah Home for Girls Survivors-Cult-mindcon
« Reply #1050 on: November 27, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »
Quote from: "??????"
Quote from: "???"
Quote from: "Guest 2211"
 I just hope I was not the only one why was sexually assaulted there!  
I hope you meant to say something different than what that selection of words seems to say.
Good luck with the book.
THat was a typo woops
whoooops!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline PoetandDidntKnowIT

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »
Quote from: "jean"
Quote from: "Guest"
I was a Rebekah girl in `82.  I know all of this is true.  We chanted, girls kneeled on salt, no girl had a period for the entire time they were there.  
I can remember a girl being chained to a bed after she ran away.  What a mess!!
 I was there in 82 also.  I was in the Jubilee ensemble.  I was supposed to be on the plane that crashed with two other girls.  Two of the women who were in the trio before us lived in the dorm.  Why, I do not remember.  The third person, in what was their trio came to Jubilee to visit her friends.  At the last minute Roloff decided to take the original trio.  They never returned.  A mess?  OMG is almost ruined me.  I have survived it though.
 Email me sometime [email protected] we have loads to share as survivors

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: December 04, 2009, 04:30:38 PM »
Quote from: "Laura 1984"
My name is Laura.
I was at Rebekah from Nov.12, 1984 - November 16, 1985.
The place was aweful. The Barrett's (house parents) were abusive.
All the girls were physically and mentally abused. Some sexually abused.
Im 41 years old now and still suffer to this day.
I have Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome. I have never been married because Im scared of people since I was in Rebekah.
I use to think this emotional pain would go away but it doesnt.
I tried to sue when I got out and no lawyer would take my case. Is it too late now? Maybe so....I will just suffer until the day I die I guess
LAURA in Texas

Hi Laura,
I was there the same time you were.  Yes the Barrett were aweful and had no business running a dorm full of girls.  I was there for 3 years. Jan. '83 till Aug. '84 than lived on the farm till Nov. '85.  I didn't have anywhere to go.  I ended up getting kicked off the farm.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
Quote from: "Donna R."
I never harmed anyone nor did I want to. Futhermore I never saw anyone harmed in any way. Kneeling on pencils ? Never heard of that either. I believe you are the sheep in wolves clothing if you believe Bro. Roloff had any thing but serving God & doing God's will. If bad things happened to you or anyone else it WAS the work of the devil but I can promise you Bro. Roloff had NO part in it. I am grateful for being chosen to be there.
  Hope things are better for you now.
  Donna R.

Donna, when you do remember all those things, let us know.  I can assure you that such an obscure place, time, etc would not bring this many people out of the woodwork unless we were all searching for others who went through the same things.  I think you may be in denial or still in shock...I know I would be if I had seen such things.  Thank the gods I was still in the womb.

Since I wrote those posts, I have found out more from my adoptive mother who was completely freaked out by the environment and Roloff.  She and my grandmother actually left the facilities because of all the cockroaches and spoiled food they were fed.  After spending the night in a hotel they were brought before Roloff who chastised them for leaving because it showed they turned down his "charity" (i.e. bug infested beds and rancid scrambled egg dinner).   He made them jump though all these weird hoops in order to get back into his graces...one was saying outloud that they loved and respected him in front of "his favorite girls".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: December 14, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I am a survivor of the Roloff Rebekah Home for Girls in Corpus Christi, Texas.
the place was a cult, They brainwashed and used mindcontrol on us girls, there was no choice to understand reality. You just had to be what they said. There was never a counselor. Windows cememted down, one girl jumped , she had been tied to a bed, her eyes blank, she had been drugged if you ask me... once she got free of the restraints that bound her to the bed, next to comptons apartment in the upstairs dorm, she ran and jumped out the window of the second story window, the alarms went off, and we all were packed into the dorm rooms.... Many things were going on. But they were big on roloff, he was like a god to them, they near worship him, still keep him alive today, via the radio and tapes and old sermons, he is thier hero, not
Christ, he is hailed as the one who had an answer to hurting kids and parents. he became like a god to his followers. he is enshrined and kept alive even today, he died in 1982.
where did all his money come from?... my parents were going on charity. many parents from what i gather, could not afford the costs. where did all that money come from. who are these roloff supporters today?... then?...who paid roloff ?... he had many compounds, throughout texas and beyond texas, he had boats, he took in penniliess kids with some parents not able to provide no more than $50 a month to help pay the costs of living ....he had airplanes, he had buses, and on one site, they proudly claim that 3,000,000. (http://www.fbbc.com/messages/roloff.htm )....dollars was tied up in the rebekah home alone. wondering who had the money and who was channeling money to the ministry.???
healing has been long and hard, the challenge in learning to interpret reality for ones own self, mindboggling mind games, who else is out there who knows what i am talking about?... where are all the rebekah survivors, why are they not talking?
lets talk, without names if you prefer, just lets open the box and talk.

Thank You

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: December 19, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
Hello, my name is Cindy and I lived in this home in 1975 and 1976.  The couple running the home while I was there were called Papa and Granny and before they came and after they left it was Mr and Mrs. Cameron.  I was 15-17 while there.  I would just like to say that I've been reading some of the postings on several sites tonight and totally shocked at most of the negative stuff I've read.  It sounds like most of it happened after the home closed in Corpus....I can tell you that while I was there in Corpus I was treated good, feed good, slept good and have very few bad memories of being there.  My bad memories are only of being locked away from the world and missing my family....which is only natural.  I'll also say that had I not been taken there and kept locked up I doubt very seriously if I'd be alive today.  For the girls that have posted negative memories regarding puishment I'm really sad and sorry to read these things.  I don't know your circumstances of being sent to Rebekah but if you went there it's probably because YOU were causing problems where you were and/or you were already on the road to a dangerous life or you would not have been accepted to Rebekah in the first place.
[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: December 28, 2009, 01:51:26 AM »
Cindy, I totally agree with you. I was there 72-73 & felt only love & warmth. I thank God every day for chosing me to have the privledge of hearing one of the best preachers that ever lived ! :) Did you know Bonnie Rose from Ohio ?  Donna R

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: December 29, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know, Brother Wiley Cameron died Christmas Day 12/25/2009 in Georgia.  Please keep Mrs. Cameron in your prayers....

Kathy Green-Nichols
Rebekah Home for Girls 1977-1981

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: December 30, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
Now why on earth would ANYONE here pray for Fay?!?!?!  I hope he is in complete misery and hope his wife is in even more misery.  He got what he deserved!!

Offline lisacrf

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 19, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
i arrived at the rebekah home in early 1982 right after brother roloff died and the camerons were the house parents and mrs. barrett was the housekeeper in charge of makeing sure are rooms were clean. I went there because i was being abused by my stepfather and i turned to a church for help because the state would not help me. The first year i was there was ok. the camerons wer very nice to me. yes you got paddeled if you got to many dermits it was hard going without tv and radio but it was better than getting beattin and molested by my stepdad. I am shocked about the commets about abuse by Mrs. cameron I remeber her as being nice. The abuse started when the berrets took over as house parents and yes some of the girls were made to kneel on pencils. Also you were made to kneel with bibles in your hands for one two hours. Girls were refused medical care. This all went on in 1983 there was a girl that almost died from apendex bursting. Mrs berrett told her she was faking and locked her in 'the room' .  Also the same year another girl ended up pregenant and told us Mr berrett raped her when she was in the room for running away. Mrs berrett started having girls locked up in the room for getting to many dermits including from cleaning your room. My bathroom had mold on wall that could not be removed. you guessed it right me and my roommate every week was either kneeling or was locked in the room instead of getting to watch the movie and eat doo doo bars granala. My mother kept all my letters that i wrote her i'm 43 now and my mother is 68 now she was reading them asking me what does this mean. I had to laugh I was speaking in code trying to tell her that things had changed. I got away in Dec of 1983 by getting Mrs cameron to chose me to be te alto singer in the all so famous trio. we went on tour and ended up in Dayton, Ohio where my older brother and sisters lived. If you had relitives in a city they let you stay with them they partnered you with someone from the choir to stay with you. I told my siblings what was going on since the berretts took over the girl that was with me verifyed it, so they refused to put me back on the tour bus called the police,Police told them they had the right to keep me . They had no choice but to go on. I have gained postive and negitives from my experices at rebekah home. I think it is a dangeous thing to glourify the place though. Only God can be truly holy all men have sinned.
    :soapbox:

Offline Pastor Hicks

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »
You should be ashamed of yourself. You try to make it sound like your a holocaust survivor or something. Why dont you mention the reason(s) you were there to begin with? Lester Roloff was a great man of God. Was his ways extreme? Yes, but often thats what it takes. There are many boys and girls that came out of those homes far better than they went in and are thankful for it. I was in the Marine Corps and after having been through some very tough training I didnt come out of boot camp saying "its a cult, people treat the drill instructor like he is God, i am lucky to have survived." We didnt get to watch tv, read mags, talk with family, and was not co-ed. We received physical punishment for doing wrong, we had to earn privileges and etc... The point is to build caricature, respect for authority, and discipline. People wanted to quite, there were some that acted stupid because they couldn't handle the training and conditions. Nevertheless, those that do make it through are proud they did and and are better for it.

Instead of dragging a dead man's name through the mud and those that supported him, why dont you look into the mirror to the source of the trouble that got you into a type of Christian boot camp for girls.

Offline Pastor Hicks

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »
Quote from: "Donna R"
Cindy, I totally agree with you. I was there 72-73 & felt only love & warmth. I thank God every day for chosing me to have the privledge of hearing one of the best preachers that ever lived ! :) Did you know Bonnie Rose from Ohio ?  Donna R

Amen and God bless you Donna!

Offline Pastor Hicks

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 09, 2010, 12:23:33 AM »
Quote from: "Lori"
Quote from: "Laura 1984"
My name is Laura.
I was at Rebekah from Nov.12, 1984 - November 16, 1985.
The place was aweful. The Barrett's (house parents) were abusive.
All the girls were physically and mentally abused. Some sexually abused.
Im 41 years old now and still suffer to this day.
I have Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome. I have never been married because Im scared of people since I was in Rebekah.
I use to think this emotional pain would go away but it doesnt.
I tried to sue when I got out and no lawyer would take my case. Is it too late now? Maybe so....I will just suffer until the day I die I guess
LAURA in Texas

Wow Laura, You really need to grow up and take responsibility for yourself and own up to the actions that lead up to you going there in the first place. I am sure it was tough, but sometimes thats what it takes. I dont believe they were the terrors you claim them to have been. Nevertheless, Know this, its people and your own way that failed you, not God. You dont have to suffer, accept Christ into your heart as Lord and Saviour, and forgive others as you have been forgive. Only then will your burdens be lifted and your sorrow turned to joy.

Offline Pastor Hicks

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 09, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »
Quote from: "Cindy Madden"
Hello, my name is Cindy and I lived in this home in 1975 and 1976.  The couple running the home while I was there were called Papa and Granny and before they came and after they left it was Mr and Mrs. Cameron.  I was 15-17 while there.  I would just like to say that I've been reading some of the postings on several sites tonight and totally shocked at most of the negative stuff I've read.  It sounds like most of it happened after the home closed in Corpus....I can tell you that while I was there in Corpus I was treated good, feed good, slept good and have very few bad memories of being there.  My bad memories are only of being locked away from the world and missing my family....which is only natural.  I'll also say that had I not been taken there and kept locked up I doubt very seriously if I'd be alive today.  For the girls that have posted negative memories regarding puishment I'm really sad and sorry to read these things.  I don't know your circumstances of being sent to Rebekah but if you went there it's probably because YOU were causing problems where you were and/or you were already on the road to a dangerous life or you would not have been accepted to Rebekah in the first place.
[email protected]

Amen! and God bless you Cindy.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #1064 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »
Quote from: "Pastor Hicks"
You should be ashamed of yourself. You try to make it sound like your a holocaust survivor or something. Why dont you mention the reason(s) you were there to begin with? Lester Roloff was a great man of God. Was his ways extreme? Yes, but often thats what it takes.
The ends justify the means, right?
There are many boys and girls that came out of those homes far better than they went in and are thankful for it.
And some who are not.
I was in the Marine Corps and after having been through some very tough training I didnt come out of boot camp saying "its a cult, people treat the drill instructor like he is God, i am lucky to have survived." We didnt get to watch tv, read mags, talk with family, and was not co-ed. We received physical punishment for doing wrong, we had to earn privileges and etc... The point is to build caricature, respect for authority, and discipline. People wanted to quite, there were some that acted stupid because they couldn't handle the training and conditions. Nevertheless, those that do make it through are proud they did and and are better for it.
The difference is that when you join the military you consent to doing so.  Were that not true, it would be unethical.
Instead of dragging a dead man's name through the mud and those that supported him, why dont you look into the mirror to the source of the trouble that got you into a type of Christian boot camp for girls.
You're assuming there was a problem to begin with.  Where's the due process?  The medical diagnoses?  Sometimes the issue is with the parents being controlling and not accepting the legitimate choices their kids have made.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)