Author Topic: Sick mom and you are in Jail  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Sick mom and you are in Jail
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »
This is the closes we properly would get to show that a sick mom means jail-time for the child, if the child protecting laws is not good enough.

We are talking about Dale, who was reported as a runaway by his mother, when he went to band practice.

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/juvies/seri ... Id=1554161
http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/juvies/seri ... Id=1553566

Here is a mom, who like to use tax-payers money for attention. She even hospialized her son earlier, but the doctors did not find anything wrong about him. The court saw what was going on and released him to his father. But perhaps in a try to protect the system, he was convicted as a runaway, so his time in jail could be justified.

I dont that is fair, regardless of the fact that he is at a better place now. Somehow the system should be able to protect such a child before he ends up in jail. I think that his mother is ill and properly with this sickness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabricated ... ed_Illness

What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:58:58 AM »
Covergaard, trust me, I was there throughout my childhood, my mother would do anything (and still would) for attention, including all sorts of nasties to herself without regard to what would happen to us, we ended up in care more times than you've had hot dinners.

Some peple just have no responsibility when it comes to looking after their kids, they don't want to admit they are sick or that they're harming their children, they just do not see it as a problem! In cases such as my own mother's, they often don't learn by it when it backfires either, she has lost her kids, one died as a result and now she cannot have contact with her grandchildren due to her being too much of a nut job, but still she will always maintain she did her best always

it's always the innocent who end up damaged by this, it's just the way it is, you either move on and forget that person exists or you let it eat you alive.

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »
I saw this episode of Juvies.  I remember thinking that this mother loosely fit a disorder called Munchausen Syndrome.  

"The MSBP sufferer is often a mother who deliberately harms her child with the intention of gaining the attention of the medical services. She gains gratification from being in the presence of doctors, nurses and medical personnel and revels in the attention that a concerned mother inevitably attracts in these surroundings. It appears that the intent is to induce illness and injury, rather than commit murder, for the death of the child would take away the object which she repeatedly manipulates for her gratification."

(full article below)

http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/munchaus.htm

Pretty messed up stuff.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:04:15 PM »
But does mental abuse cover Munchausen's? I think it should, but I think you'll find it's only if it's physical - you know how it is, physical shows the scars, mental doesn't so actually, it doesn't hurt

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:37:30 PM »
Exhausted~
I remember one case in particular where the mother made up an elaborate story about her daughter having a rare disease.  The hometown had fund raisers and benefits to help defray medical costs.  She had shaved the child's head to make it look like chemo therapy had caused hair loss.  It was twisted.

The thing that struck me the hardest was that she had convinced the poor child (who was about 12 if I recall correctly) that she had a terminal illness and was most probably going to die.

None of it was true.  There was not even of thread of truth to the mothers story.  The kid was a healthy (physically) normal kid.  

Mother got almost instant notoriety.  It was all over the national news.  Sympathy and financial support poured out from all over.

So, while some mothers inflict physical carnage on their kids ... others do as much damage psychologically/mentally.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »
"None of it was true. There was not even of thread of truth to the mothers story. The kid was a healthy (physically) normal kid. "

Thats a program...

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:35:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Truth Searcher""
Exhausted~
I remember one case in particular where the mother made up an elaborate story about her daughter having a rare disease.  The hometown had fund raisers and benefits to help defray medical costs.  She had shaved the child's head to make it look like chemo therapy had caused hair loss.  It was twisted.

The thing that struck me the hardest was that she had convinced the poor child (who was about 12 if I recall correctly) that she had a terminal illness and was most probably going to die.

None of it was true.  There was not even of thread of truth to the mothers story.  The kid was a healthy (physically) normal kid.  

Mother got almost instant notoriety.  It was all over the national news.  Sympathy and financial support poured out from all over.

So, while some mothers inflict physical carnage on their kids ... others do as much damage psychologically/mentally.

Sad thing about this is that many good parents get labeled with this problem and lose their kids for a spell. The name is Münchhausen by proxy or Factitious Disorder. The problem with this "label" is that for the innocent it's impossible to defend against because the state doesn't have to prove any actual harm.

How can you prove that you didn't drug your kid when the state doesn't have to provide any evidence against you other then the fact that your kid is sick. I admit I've grown a particular hatred for this condition because I've seen more then a few cases where innocent parents have lost their kids. Just imagine a kid with good parents being taken away and shipped to a program by Court Order!! *shudder*

I have an itch to scratch and I have every intention of scratching it str8 to hell  ::bigsmilebounce::........  intelligently  :wink:
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""

Just imagine a kid with good parents being taken away and shipped to a program by Court Order!! *shudder*

Just imagine a kid with a parent who is mentally torturing him/her being allowed to keep their kid at home by court order! The world's gone mad I can tell you