Author Topic: Dizzy Izzy strikes again  (Read 5328 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:33:21 AM »
From the Offices of the TS Waygookin:

http://http://www.whitmoreacademy.blogspot.com/

I also direct your attention to:

http://http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsnz.asp#whitmore

Whitmore Academy: Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks

Owners and Directors of the Whitmore Academy
Sunday, March 18, 2007
The Whitmore Academy: Part I: Up close and personal

How it all began

Many years ago Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks owned a hunting and fishing lodge in Northern British Columbia, Canada. Many of the adolescents who were brought there by their wealthy parents were uncontrollable teens. Some of these teens worked at the lodge under the supervision of the Sudweeks.

Within a short period of time their parents often noted a marked improvement in their behavior and attitudes. As Mark Sudweeks said, ?these kids will learn what they are ready to learn, they will accept what they are ready to accept. Trying to force them into it is counterproductive.?

Some of these teens and their parents decided the teen should stay at the lodge and work under Mark and Cheryl. By the time they went back home several months later, most had become responsible, happy, productive, outgoing kids, and thereafter continued to succeed.

Their program ? a program that works

Mark and Cheryl realized that what they were doing for these teens worked. They opened their home and opened their hearts to children who others had either given up on or knew they could no longer help. They eventually purchased the Whitmore Mansion in Nephi, Utha, and opened The Whitmore Academy, a small program that gradually grew to about 40 youth. Mark and Cheryl?s program was unique, and has had a positive impact on the lives of many.

As their program grew they continued with the methods that had proven effective and that had turned teens? lives around. Before long, their home was bustling with children and teens who had found new hope in life.

According to former parent, Peggy Rodebush, ?Mark and Cheryl each had their own approach with the children which complemented each other. While Mark was the outdoorsman, taking the children flying, to the cabin, on dirt bikes, hiking, hunting, and being a positive male/father figure for the boys, Cheryl had the patience of a saint. She would listen to the children for hours. She taught my son how to trust his own feelings and how to share and express his feelings in a positive way.?

Parents who visited the Whitmore prior to placing their children shared they immediately recognized the love, warmth, and caring that emanated from the Sudweeks and the children in their care. Former students of the Whitmore Academy shared with me that their lives truly were changed by their experiences there. They shared that Mark and Cheryl helped them see the love and caring that was missing from their lives. They saw the light at the end of the tunnel; they learned to hope again, something they had not felt in a long time. They learned they could control their own destiny and saw that through love, kindness, understanding, and therapy, they could be happy and they could thrive. The students were encouraged to look inward and evaluate themselves, make goals, and work towards their goals.

Wherever they were, the students had chores to do, they had to get up on time and go to bed on time. The program was tailored to each individual child. They had to go to school if they were enrolled in the public schools or do their schoolwork at home if they were enrolled in alternative coursework.

According to the Sudweeks? lawyer, the students were not allowed to mistreat each other, and were certainly never directed by Cheryl or Mark to mistreat each other. Discipline was administered by the giving of privileges and/or taking away of privileges. The students were made to be accountable for their actions in ways that worked, when all other methods tried by their parents and former therapists/counselors/supervisors had been largely unsuccessful.
Former parent, Mary Gentile, stated ?It was never about the money for Mark and Cheryl. Cheryl gets very attached to the kids and makes sure they do not go down the wrong path. Though some of these troubled teens have turned their backs on her, she has never turned her back on any of them.?

Mary Gentile went on to say that during group therapy sessions, which consisted of a licensed therapist, the children, and Cheryl, ?Cheryl was a liaison ? she was there for the children. She made sure they were at peace with one another and resolved their differences. She was always there for these kids.?

Throughout their stay children benefited from emotional growth education through their equine program and the outstanding recreation afforded them at their unique locations in British Columbia, Canada, Nephi and Levan, Utah, and in Baja California, SUR, Mexico. Because of these extraordinary locations, the rewards were endless - canoeing, mountain biking, fishing, hiking, floatplane fly-outs, rodeo, kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, water skiing, horseback riding, beach activities, swimming, and more.

When I asked former student, Brandon, if he went on trips he laughed and said, "Lady, I don't have enough fingers to count the number of trips we went on. We went to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell - and that was just my first month. The trips were very fun, you got to know everyone in the group very well. I got to learn about the people and form close friendships with others that I had never had before."

After talking to parents and students it has become apparent that Mark and Cheryl are truly special people with a gift for helping children and troubled youth. Parent Sheila Willis said she is saddened that the Whitmore has been shut down. She said that Mark and Cheryl taught the kids morals and taught them that they did not have to resort to drugs or alcohol to bring happiness; how to give back to their community and how being of service can bring personal growth and satisfaction; how to have fun. Some of these children came from such severe backgrounds that they really didn?t know how to have fun. They learned life was worth living, people were worth loving.

Mark and Cheryl taught children life skills and correct principles as they prepared the kids to take accountability and govern their own lives, which, in my opinion, was truly the success of their program. They provided a safe environment with structure and used follow-through and consequences as effective deterrents. Their program was not a lock-down facility but rather the doors were open so children could learn to set their own limits so they would have the tools necessary to move on in their lives when they left the Whitmore.

Part II: "Voices from the Whitmore" coming soon

Posted by Isabelle Zehnder at 3:25 PM 0 comments

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:29:01 AM »
Mary Gentile is reporting that a "licensed therapist" conducted the group sessions?  COME ON Mary. Who told you that?  That was Cheryl's job.  Remember the ole yell?
GROUP!  GROUP!  GROUP!

All hours of the day and night?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:40:15 AM »
How strange.  This looks just like Isabelle's blog.

http://suescheff.blogspot.com/

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 06:33:32 AM »
http://isabellezehnder.blogspot.com/

Isabelle encourages parents who are considering placing their child or teen in a program or facility away from home to contact her at [email protected]. She provides a free, one-hour consultation to help parents make an informed decision for their child. As mentioned above, this industry is not regulated. There is no Federal oversight and there is no governing body monitoring what goes on behind closed doors. This leaves the door wide open for abuse and neglect to occur. Isabelle believes it is vital that parents seeking residential placement for the child or teen be well informed. This is one of the biggest decisions parents will make, so making it in haste, out of fear, and without doing research can be disasterous, as we have too often seen.

----------------

Yup.  There is no oversight.  ANYONE can call themselves a parent advocate or consultant.  

Wonder what happens if the "consultation" goes over one hour?  And what "options" (programs??) does Isabelle recommend?

:roll:

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:33:56 AM »
I wonder what prompted this glowing recommendation of Whitmore by Izzahell? Why now Izzy? Interesting - sort of.

I wonder if she would be willing to talk with some pro-program parents and grads from, say, Dundee Ranch, or Casa by the Sea, or Paradise Cove - and explain how wonderful and helpful the program was for them; and what a shame it is that they have been closed down?

How about it Izzy - you want to be fair, and present all Points of View don't you?

After all, There are Lots of families that will testify for you how great all these programs are, and have always been; how kind and supportive the staff are; how they teach the kids "correct principles" and so on and so fourth.

In fact, I feel it is safe to say that these families would outnumber those who say these programs are abusive and negligent hell holes by a wide margin. That being so - surely you can over look the fact that they have shut down by the various governments where they were located. And unlike Whitmore, no charges were ever brought - or if they were - they were dismissed, or the charged party won an acquittal.

So surely, if you can laud Whitmore and the Sudwicks, despite them being chased out of two countries; with convictions in one for gross and extreme animal abuse; and closed down in Utah (of all places) pleading no contest to charges of child abuse and hazing - If you are comfortable with all this, then surely you can give proper acknowledgement and support to the various WWASP programs, that are clearly even more deserving.

Or is it simply that kudos to WWASPS doesn't pay?

:o

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:26:30 PM »
Excellent points you make Buzzkill.

WWASPS is for all intents and purposes, a competitior of PURE's, correct?

WWASPS is also being sued and the contact info for the lawsuit can be found on various websites, including CAICA, who claimed to have helped the original defendant obtain legal representation along with Sue Scheff.  

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=19171

Since the filing, the lawsuit has been amended to include many other plaintiffs.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=22096

Just wondering if anyone is concerned about a potential "conflict of interest" defense being raised by the defendants (WWASPS et al)?

:exclaim:

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »
///Just wondering if anyone is concerned about a potential "conflict of interest" defense being raised by the defendants (WWASPS et al)?///

Well, being as none of the plaintiffs have anything to do with CACA or PURE - No.  It isn't a concern of mine, anyway.  As for the self congratulating going on in certain circles, It only takes hot air to boast and brag. As I understand it, there is nothing much that can be done to stop it, no matter how silly and distasteful it is.

My concern has to do with the mixing of advocacy and profit venture; because it will inevitably cause such an "advocate" to be highly biased in favor of the programs they profit from; and possibly cause them to jump to negative conclusions about the competition.

As for the earlier post, Its not as if I would ever suggest anyone actually promote those programs I mentioned. Its just that in my mind, it is just as outrageous to promote Whitmore.  In fact, considering the history, even more so. That was the point I was trying to make.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:13:12 PM »
I dont understand what zehnder and scheff have to gain from this. If the place is not open they are not getting referrals.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »
Maybe damage control for the Sudweeeks?
Maybe the Sudweeks are planning to open another program somewhere else?
Maybe then everyone is back in the referral business with the Sudweeks again?

Cherly Sudweeks' plea bargain: She can't run a facility in Juab County again for life; so that leaves out Whitmore Academy in Nephi, Utah.

Deseret Morning News  September 22, 2006
"Plea deal for ex-school operator - She agrees not to run another rehab facility in Juab"

www.isac.org

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 01:16:16 AM »
IMO, this is beyond disgraceful.  It is downright revolting.

::puke::  ::puke::  ::puke::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
cheryl doesn't think what she is doing is wrong... lol!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Maybe damage control for the Sudweeeks?
Maybe the Sudweeks are planning to open another program somewhere else?
Maybe then everyone is back in the referral business with the Sudweeks again?

Cherly Sudweeks' plea bargain: She can't run a facility in Juab County again for life; so that leaves out Whitmore Academy in Nephi, Utah.

Deseret Morning News  September 22, 2006
"Plea deal for ex-school operator - She agrees not to run another rehab facility in Juab"

www.isac.org

i think its right. whoever that isabelle lady is, i think shes probably a close friend or getting paid. or cheryl just sent her some long ass email telling her her story, because couldn't you see something like that happening. ill admit, i felt like cheryl was my mom while i was there, but id ont know why. i even felt like it for a while after wards. but i started to think about why i still loved her after all the shit she did to me?? i finally let that love go and now she has one less  supporter and it probably doesn't matter but i know it hurts her to lose me as a friend and if it doesn't, then i still dont care. but yah, i had to sit in the bathroom of the bus with no shower, and no food, for 3 days, on the way back from mexico to utah. for smoking cigarettes in mexico

in the end you will be laid to rest where you belong
bathed in the flames
your hatred, your ignorance
you're the symbol of masculinity, a true king kong
I WILL STAND UP FOR THOSE WHO'VE SUFFERED
I will stand up for those who have suffered
been crucified by your insecurities

HATCHETS CASTRatING THE FUCKERS

the blood has reached me
the scars have made their impressions
BODIES ABLAZE
with no one to push you in the flames
throw another stick in...
and I swear with every ounce of strength I have

I WILL BURN YOU ALIVE
in the sticks lays your worthless body
screaming
keep fucking screaming

and with your eyeballs boiling...

WHO'S THE FUCKING FAGGOT NOW

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Dizzy Izzy strikes again
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »
Ya know what? This really does define the problem. Jim Crow. Nothing more, nothing less.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes