Author Topic: formatting problems  (Read 13177 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
formatting problems
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:37:56 PM »
Many of the posts that are longer than a wee bit are cut short.  In some cases chopped to a fraction of their original length.  This includes previous entries plus entries post-move (earlier today).

In at least one thread, some posts have been crammed to the righthand side.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:12:02 PM »
Yep, 10 years of research gone from this post, one of my longer ones. 1994-2005
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=16338

Is the information from the shortened messages permanently gone?
Will there be a character/word limit now? If so, what?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »
I've been quietly freaking out about this.  After determining that most of my longer posts were chopped, I next checked your posts, Deborah, knowing all the fine research you have done here and its necessary page space.  And then I really freaked.

I hope the old database is not completely gone.  I'd be willing to put in some legwork and crunchtime repairing issues if "Kelly" (new tech?) is overloaded, but would need instructions...

Additionally, perhaps "Kelly" could have a PM box?  Might make it easier for people to contact her/him with problems 'till the database change gets all settled...

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »
That's the only one I checked. I'm afraid to look. Hours and hours of research. Hope it's not lost.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »
Find out where in your SQL implementation the text length is defined, and maximize it. Yes, this is in your SQL implementation, not the forum software. This topic may be of help. You'll also need to restore the backup again, as everything was indeed lost.

Even weirder: When trying to click post reply as a guest, I get an indefinite wait.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
We haven't had this particular problem before, although we have had other minor MySQL errors with the forum software in the past...  My guess is that this could be fixed in the forum software.  Can Ginger or "Kelly" tell us whether material from the old database is indeed completely lost?

Thanks, Milk, for the informative link.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
email received from Kelly:
Quote from: ""Kelly""
Thanks for the info i noticed the missing data as well,  I think that is causing format issues. But the data is actually not missing at least, it's only displaying a portion of what's in the db. Thankfully it's "fixable". So i should get to it later today. Thanks again :)
Kelly

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
no worries
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »
i wont have time to fix it until later but i know what the problem is> And FYI no more MySQL we are running on SQL Server 2005 now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 04:37:50 AM by Guest »
RIP Steve Matthews and all those we have lost along the way!

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
and u know this!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 06:40:10 PM »
oh yes that explains it all we could run mysql  but I chose not to for several reasons. The indexing SUCKS compared to MSSQL 2005,the searches will be much faster once I've indexed it all. You can't do any type of complex sub queries, triggers, etc  in MySQL,  which is a necessity with most of my clients.

MySql will get there soon but not yet. Unless you want to pay and why pay when MS SQL Server 2005 is FREE :) Course I'm not building sites for bobs fishing shop either so yeah. I had to go corporate seeing that most companies with more then 500 employees that aren't in IT are Microsoft. She needed a host I offered with what i have in place. I'm sure you'll survive.  I've always been a unix fan but client wise I'll retire MUCH sooner by going the MS route because that's where the $$ is and I'm ready to drop out of this corporate rat race so I'm going to do it as quickly as possible :)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: formatting problems
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 12:43:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Many of the posts that are longer than a wee bit are cut short.  In some cases chopped to a fraction of their original length.  This includes previous entries plus entries post-move (earlier today).

In at least one thread, some posts have been crammed to the righthand side.

Threads are STILL chopped.

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 12:52:43 AM »
is that growling I hear or are you just happy to see me. Yes i realized I updated the php.ini file and forgot recycle. Im sure that made a lot of sense. But thanks for pointing it out.  let me know if they still are i just check this thread and it looks good to go.

http://http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=17301&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 01:09:44 AM »
At least two posts on that page are still chopped short, one of which chopped the entire reply (current form just consists of a PORTION of the quote reply).  I don't have time right now to go through the entire forum, but clearly something is still not kosher.  

Although and BTW, thanks for all your efforts.  It sounds as though there are a lot of new bells and whistles.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
formatting problems
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 01:32:47 AM »
Right now, Kelly is more adept at admining the site on an M$ platform than I am at maintaining it on a unix platform. I've known this lady a good while and I trust her. It really is a monumental task porting this over. This is actually going well.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 01:43:54 AM »
If you go to the IP address site, the posts are still in their entirety there.  I think it is post #s 33, 34 in the above noted thread.

Will there be a space limit on future posts?  I am thinking primarily of Deborah's output here, not my loquacious drivel.

thanks

Offline webdiva

• Administrator
    • View Profile
formatting problems
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 01:44:13 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
At least two posts on that page are still chopped short, one of which chopped the entire reply (current form just consists of a PORTION of the quote reply).  I don't have time right now to go through the entire forum, but clearly something is still not kosher.  

Although and BTW, thanks for all your efforts.  It sounds as though there are a lot of new bells and whistles.

its one of 2 things. if ANYONE edited a chopped post they lost any data that had been chopped obviously.   i set the limit from 4500 characters to 60000 which is about 4000 words. It's quite possible some posts (esp with all the damn quote inside of quote inside of quotes)   are longer than that. So when i get back home I'll set it to a higher number. Can you let me know specifically which post in that thread is still chopped so i know what to test when I get back? that would be most helpful. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:13:49 AM by Guest »