Author Topic: Straight Executives  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: "MORAL INVENTORIES" ARE MIND RAPE
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 09:02:04 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Yes the M.I.s were abusive. I don't think it's "all relative" at all. Straight had an agenda to brainwash us. Forced confessions of moral failings are definitely a tactic of brainwashing. Brainwashing is torture. It's all part of the basket of pain Straight gave us. It all works together.

It wasn't exactly "moral failings" like stealing something, it was about continually examining our inner state to make sure we had the proper cult attitude, thoughts, and feelings. M.I.s were a training ground for oldcomers to examine and work on correcting newcomers with respect to these things and to teach them cultspeak and cultthink.

We could not write anything that we could keep private, at all. This has a huge impact on the psyche. In addition, we were led to believe that if we even allowed our thoughts to be private and unexamined, we were in danger. The real danger was the emotional abuse of possible confrontation we might face to make us "get honest" and the certain loss of freedom if we were found to be "f.o.s." But of course we were trained to think that the danger was ourselves, we wanted to be fully honest and share all our thoughts, especially "bad thoughts", because we wanted to be "closer to the Group" and we didn't trust our own minds and thought that our thoughts would make us do something bad like cop out and do drugs. Violation of the right to privacy of the mind might seem like a hidden or lesser abuse to some. It doesn't seem "violent", but it is. It's a rape of privacy, a rape of self-conception, and a rape of self-expression. It is MIND RAPE.

The ritual practice of writing M.I.s also serves to train the mind to focus on "shortcomings", "things to fix", and so on as part of the cult tactic of domination of the mind and thinking time. If we are busy worried about these things that are totally inappropriate for teenagers to be worried about -- like whether we were "really open and honest with the group," or whether we were "sitting in our shit" --we stop thinking, literally, our minds are focused on a ritual practice of self-denigration and self-disrespect.

Over the years I have certainly heard from more than one person how much the forced writing and reading of M.I.s damaged their mental and artistic abilities. It abused yet another aspect of self-expression. Staff would get people's diaries from before Straight and read them out loud in Group. How dare they.

It all sucked, and there's a reason it sucked. Straight was an institution dedicated to DOMINATING every aspect of our days, thoughts, body, self-concepts: every aspect of our existence.

There's actually a lot of information on the web if you do some internet searching on "confession", "brainwashing", and "cult".

This is a damned good examination of the abusive nature of MIs---which, to the casual observer,  are a seemingly innocuous facet of the program, or perhaps lesser form of abuse than the rest of the package.  In reality, they were the constant "front line of defense" against thinking which ran contrary to cult doctrine and ideology.  Thank you for your insight and examination of this topic,  I hope the original poster gets your point.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »
Quote from: ""Rusty Goat""
please excuse the off topicness, but, does anyone reading this consider the MI's as abusive? The remark about Ross rang a bell, sorry... In the trenches of front-line activism activities, I have maintained that MI's are a form of psychological abuse that may not get the attention it deserves. It was and still is one of those pain in the ass kind of chores that is required even today by clients of spinoff programs. I've heard some folks say that they don't consider it abuse, it's just a PIA chore based on AA philosophies, and others who agree with me about it being a brainwashing tool. Thank you for an opinion.
Rusty

OTHER PEOPLE READING YOUR MI is abuse.
Writing MI Moral Inventory is probably one of the good habits taught in the programs.
Writing MI is good.
Being REQUIRED to write MI is wrong.
Other people reading your MI before your death is not only wrong,its also unAmerican.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
Yes the M.I.s were abusive. I don't think it's "all relative" at all. Straight had an agenda to brainwash us. Forced confessions of moral failings are definitely a tactic of brainwashing. Brainwashing is torture. It's all part of the basket of pain Straight gave us. It all works together.

It wasn't exactly "moral failings" like stealing something, it was about continually examining our inner state to make sure we had the proper cult attitude, thoughts, and feelings. M.I.s were a training ground for oldcomers to examine and work on correcting newcomers with respect to these things and to teach them cultspeak and cultthink.

We could not write anything that we could keep private, at all. This has a huge impact on the psyche. In addition, we were led to believe that if we even allowed our thoughts to be private and unexamined, we were in danger. The real danger was the emotional abuse of possible confrontation we might face to make us "get honest" and the certain loss of freedom if we were found to be "f.o.s." But of course we were trained to think that the danger was ourselves, we wanted to be fully honest and share all our thoughts, especially "bad thoughts", because we wanted to be "closer to the Group" and we didn't trust our own minds and thought that our thoughts would make us do something bad like cop out and do drugs. Violation of the right to privacy of the mind might seem like a hidden or lesser abuse to some. It doesn't seem "violent", but it is. It's a rape of privacy, a rape of self-conception, and a rape of self-expression. It is MIND RAPE.

The ritual practice of writing M.I.s also serves to train the mind to focus on "shortcomings", "things to fix", and so on as part of the cult tactic of domination of the mind and thinking time. If we are busy worried about these things that are totally inappropriate for teenagers to be worried about -- like whether we were "really open and honest with the group," or whether we were "sitting in our shit" --we stop thinking, literally, our minds are focused on a ritual practice of self-denigration and self-disrespect.

Over the years I have certainly heard from more than one person how much the forced writing and reading of M.I.s damaged their mental and artistic abilities. It abused yet another aspect of self-expression. Staff would get people's diaries from before Straight and read them out loud in Group. How dare they.

It all sucked, and there's a reason it sucked. Straight was an institution dedicated to DOMINATING every aspect of our days, thoughts, body, self-concepts: every aspect of our existence.

There's actually a lot of information on the web if you do some internet searching on "confession", "brainwashing", and "cult".

MI doesn't hurt people.
People hurt people.
It was HOW THE MI WAS USED that was abusive.

Offline BROWNIE

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BSTEVE0044/
m i
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 11:39:34 PM »
psychological abuse BOO

Offline BROWNIE

• View Profile
Re: m i
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 06:25:36 AM »
H A P P Y B U N N Y D A Y !   NCL

Offline BROWNIE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 06:28:53 AM »
Brainwashing is torture. It's all part of the basket of pain Straight gave us. It all works together.

Right-On !!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 09:07:58 AM »
Quote from: ""BROWNIE""
Brainwashing is torture. It's all part of the basket of pain Straight gave us. It all works together.

Right-On !!!!

A basket of hard boiled pain & Easter Grass?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »
Sandbaskets... and piss-clams.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »
Quote from: ""Rusty Goat""
please excuse the off topicness, but, does anyone reading this consider the MI's as abusive? The remark about Ross rang a bell, sorry... In the trenches of front-line activism activities, I have maintained that MI's are a form of psychological abuse that may not get the attention it deserves. It was and still is one of those pain in the ass kind of chores that is required even today by clients of spinoff programs. I've heard some folks say that they don't consider it abuse, it's just a PIA chore based on AA philosophies, and others who agree with me about it being a brainwashing tool. Thank you for an opinion.
Rusty

OTHER PEOPLE READING YOUR MI is abuse.
Writing MI Moral Inventory is probably one of the good habits taught in the programs.
Writing MI is good.
Being REQUIRED to write MI is wrong.
Other people reading your MI before your death is not only wrong,its also unAmerican.

I disagree because I never could have even written an M.I. if the oldcomers didn't "teach" me how to do it "right". It was a practice scripted by the cult. It changed my thought processes from what I used to write and think about before, and it certainly didn't make me a better person.

That inventory of moral failings stuff is really popular in 12-step groups, maybe that is what you are thinking about when you say they are good? To go over your shortcomings at the end of every day seems self-obsessive, plus it's a prescripted formula. I had to shake off that kind of thing getting out of 12-step cults after Straight. People in 12-step groups were awfully concerned about all their actions shortcomings and emotional states, which I don't think is really helpful at all, I think it made people miserable and they didn't even realize. Sponsors and people in the cult took that "working your steps" stuff really seriously. I once wrote pages and pages to "do my fourth step," and it didn't make me happier or anything, it was a continuation of the neurotic self-obsession thing. It gives me the shivers to think about those 12-step meetings with people talking about how they worked their steps. I don't think half those people really wanted to ever use and the 12 steps and the slogans really kept them from doing drugs or drinking. I think really they wanted a good story to tell in a meeting about how they almost used and then the 12 steps saved them, when really they just decided not to use.

If you have some kind of personal practice, that's your thing. But I'm a little weirded out. Do some survivors still do M.I.s every night, or even ever? That would be weird, if people still did M.I.s and called other survivors for dime therapy. Really weird. Now I'm kind of curious.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
I KNEW someone would post something like this..  ::blah::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 04:20:51 PM »
And NO, I'm not the one who posted about writing MI's.

Must the dialogue here always be so predictable?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 04:22:06 PM »
Nevermind.. continue having your trite and pointless discussion; I'll try to stay out of it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
I'm sorry for being a grouchy bastard, I've had a few drinks today. And to tell the truth, I guess I'm a little (just a little, mind you) curious as to why someone would want to write MI's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 04:56:40 PM »
And NO, I'm not the one who posted about writing MI's.

Must the dialogue here always be so predictable?

I agree. People are always agreeing and disagreeing around here. It gets really annoying.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight Executives
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 05:01:25 PM »
I agree. People are always agreeing and disagreeing around here. It gets really annoying.

Yeah, yeah..lol.. I apologized, what more do you want?  ::dose::