Author Topic: Local info, please  (Read 772 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Local info, please
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:33:40 AM »
Quote from: ""In a neighboring forum, Deb wrote""
The 14-year-old in a juvenile-justice program had been visiting home for the weekend.

Amy L. Edwards | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 10, 2007

A 14-year-old on a weekend home visit from Florida's only STAR program -- the state's replacement for the controversial youth boot camps -- apparently killed himself after stealing a truck in Polk County, according to sheriff's officials.

Joseph Malcolm Freeman of Lakeland was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head inside a Dodge Dakota pickup Sunday afternoon. The truck was reported stolen hours earlier from the Auburndale Nature Trail.

Freeman entered the STAR program, operated by the Polk County Sheriff's Office, in September and would have graduated this month.

On Monday, sheriff's officials said Freeman was a model cadet with a 3.7 grade-point average who talked about becoming an engineer and was recently baptized at an area church.

"For this to have occurred is shocking to all of us," said Sheriff Grady Judd. "Every indicator we had . . . shows that he was progressing well and was on track to graduate from our program."

Freeman was sentenced to STAR by the Department of Juvenile Justice and went into Polk's program in Bartow. The STAR program was created after the Martin Lee Anderson Act, named for a teen who died after being beaten by guards, abolished youth boot camps last year.

Other than Judd, each of Florida's sheriffs who operated a boot camp closed their programs and did not re-open under STAR, which emphasizes education, community service and vocational training.

STAR counselor Eric Holm said he spent a lot of time with Freeman, who appeared to be "very happy."

Holm said fellow cadets who were notified about the suicide Monday shared the same sentiment.

"There was no indication by anyone that he would have done something like this," Holm said.

Freeman's mother, Penny Culver, said she is waiting to see if her son --"Jay" -- was on drugs because she doesn't think he would have killed himself with a clear mind.

"He was in great spirits Saturday. He was happy. He was helping his grandfather rebuild his mobile home because it caught on fire last November," she said. "He worked tremendously hard Saturday."

Sheriff's officials on Monday released the copy of a note reportedly written by Freeman in his home-visit journal.

In it, Freeman wrote to his family: "I'm sorry things aren't working out for the best right now but I cannot go through with this. Things are crazy and I cannot adapt. . . . I'm leaving now and I don't know when I'll be back or even if I'm coming back. Please forgive me."

He signed the letter and ended with a P.S.: "We will all meet agin (sic) soon."

Sheriff's officials said Freeman was signed out of the STAR program Saturday morning by his mother and taken to his uncle's home in Lakeland.

The uncle told deputies he last saw Freeman about 1 a.m. Sunday. When he awoke about 7:30 a.m., the teen was missing.

When Culver called the Sheriff's Office to report her son missing, deputies and K-9s were dispatched to search for the teen, Judd said. Deputies also checked Freeman's friends' houses.

Meanwhile, Polk County resident Franklin Woessner reported his 1998 Dodge Dakota pickup stolen about 8:40 a.m. from the Auburndale Nature Trail. Several hours later, Woessner's relatives spotted the stolen truck near Saddle Creek Road and began to follow it, the Sheriff's Office reported.

Woessner's relatives told detectives Freeman rammed the vehicle on Hickory Road, and then he drove the truck through a barbed-wire fence and crashed into a tree. After the crash, the relatives, who were on the telephone with Polk County dispatchers, waited inside their vehicle until law-enforcement arrived.

Deputies found Freeman locked inside the truck, the music playing loudly. The preliminary investigation indicates Freeman shot himself with a .45-caliber handgun Woessner said he stored in the center console.

Sheriff's Office records show Freeman has been arrested on multiple criminal charges, including grand-theft auto, battery on an education employee, marijuana possession and the use or display of a weapon during a felony.

Culver said the state's juvenile-justice system repeatedly failed her son when she tried to get him help, but she had nothing but praise for Polk County's program.

Now, Culver said, she wants state officials to issue monitoring bracelets to track cadets in the STAR program while they are on home visits.

"I couldn't save my son like I wanted to. He's dead now. But if I can save another child . . . then his life is not going to be in vain," said Culver.

source

Dead teen was on STAR furlough
Last Edited: Monday, 09 Apr 2007, 10:42 PM EDT
Created: Monday, 09 Apr 2007, 4:26 PM EDT

LAKELAND - The death of a teenager this weekend has left his family grieving and the sheriff's office reviewing its policies.

Joseph Freeman was a cadet at Polk County's STAR (Sheriff's Training and Respect) program - a residential camp for troubled kids. Everyone thought he was getting his life together, until he stunned everyone by ending it all.

"He could make laugh. He could take the saddest moment and turn it into the happiest moment of your life," said Freeman's mother, Penny Culver.

She can't believe her son's gone. She says he got caught up in gangs, and lost his way. But she never thought he'd take his own life at just 14-years-old.

"He was a good kid. He just made some bad choices. He got caught up in the wrong situation with the wrong people. He didn't deserve to die," said Culver.

Freeman had been in the STAR Program since September of last year. In recent years, he'd been arrested for drugs, grand theft, and battery. Yet his mother, deputies, and even the sheriff say Freeman seemed to be turning his life around.

"From every indication, he was moving along remarkably. In fact he was scheduled to graduate in two weeks," offered Polk Sheriff Grady Judd.

He was doing so well, that deputies allowed him to spend Easter weekend with his uncle. But early Sunday morning, he snuck out.

Investigators say he stole a truck in Auburndale, along with the registered gun that was left in it. By noon, the family of the truck's owner spotted Freeman and followed him. Eventually, they collided. But Freeman kept going, driving off the road, and into a tree.

Then, investigators say, he used the gun to kill himself.

"You don't ever want to lose one of these kids. Even this kid who had a criminal background was progressing well. But it's not a perfect system," said Judd.

He's now reviewing the program to see what, if anything, could've been done differently. Although deputies with the STAR Program say Freeman never showed any suicidal tendencies.

He did leave behind a note saying:

"I'm sorry things aren't working out for the best right now but I cannot go through with this. Things are crazy and I cannot adapt. I want to thank you all for everything that you have done for me. I'm sorry for all the things that I have put you all through. I'm leaving now and I don't know when I'll be back or even if I'm coming back. Please forgive me. I love you all and remember things happen for a reason. P.S. We will all meet again soon."

His mother believes he may have been afraid to leave the STAR program.

"I guess that he didn't have enough confidence built up in himself and he was scared he wasn't going to make it with graduation just two weeks away," said Culver. "He told me Saturday morning he was scared of being recycled. He was scared of failing, and I told him then, 'son, I'm proud of you. You've accomplished a lot. You've come a long ways.'"

But the next day, on Easter, Culver's son took his own life.

"All I wanted to do was save him and I couldn't," said Culver. "I was proud of him no matter what he did because he was my son and I loved him."

source

Quote from: ""Then, hanzomon4""
Have any Straight survivors contacted any of the news papers covering the Anderson case, and now this one, to enlighten them on Florida's troubled history with "helping" teens? Maybe it's just me but any reporter worth a damn would be shitting whole galaxies all over the news if they knew about Straight with stories like this and the Anderson case still in the social consciousness.

I'm tellin ya, man, kids ta'day are just getting smarter and smarter. The conversation continues ...
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=21155
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes