Poll

Does Aspen use behavior modification techniques?

Yes
6 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closes: May 11, 2044, 12:09:26 AM

Author Topic: Needs help: Is Aspen conduction behavior modification  (Read 6540 times)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Needs help: Is Aspen conduction behavior modification
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:56:32 PM »
As much as I think this table of deaths is ridiculous because it misses all of the wider moral issues connected to this meanspirited industry, Why has there been none for Summer Camps. Afterall they are a longstanding American tradition tradition. How many kids have died in one of these?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Behavior modification returns short-term results
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »
Here is an examle of a teen's behavior after going through a behavior-mod program:
By ADAM ASHTON

MERCED SUN-STAR

August 4, 2005

WINTON - The 17-year-old boy who allegedly spray-painted racist slurs in front of a black woman's home last week is one of nine teenagers who participated in a reality TV program to learn better manners.

Isaiah Alarcon has a national audience once a week on ABC's "Brat Camp," which documents his progress through a 50-day Oregon wilderness camp with a focus on disciplining troubled teens.

Now back from the camp, the Atwater High School student reportedly admitted to Merced County Sheriff's Department deputies that he used spray paint to scrawl "spook" and "N---ers live here" in front of preschool teacher Angelic Royal's home on Palomino Drive early Friday morning.

Alarcon and his friend Christopher Farenelli, 18, wrote the slurs and drew a swastika in the street after a drunken night of partying in Ceres, authorities said.

The teens told sheriff's deputies that they did not mean any harm with the graffiti, and Royal said Alarcon tried to clean up the slurs before he was taken into custody Saturday.

Alarcon spent the weekend in Juvenile Hall and was charged with damaging property and interference of civil rights, Sheriff Mark Pazin said.

He said the situation was ironic, but with some serious consequences for Alarcon.

"Reality TV has taken the place of long-term rehabilitation," Pazin said. "These kids had some real serious issues that needed to be dealt with in a long-term process, not a multiweek TV program for entertainment."

Alarcon's mother, Virginia, declined to allow her son to comment Wednesday. She told the Sun-Star last week that his behavior had improved since he returned from "Brat Camp."

The TV show's Web site describes him as an "angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire." The show airs Wednesday at 8 p.m.

"Brat Camp" takes place at SageWalk, a wilderness school at which teens can learn anger management and educational skills. It was filmed between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Alarcon escaped from the camp in one of the episodes, according to an ABC press release.

Farenelli was arrested Saturday after he turned himself into the Sheriff's Department. He faces charges of suspicion of a vandalism and criminal conspiracy charge. He was released after posting $5,200 bail.

Both young men might face increased penalties if they are charged with committing a hate crime. The district attorney's office has not decided what charges it will pursue in their prosecution, Chief Deputy District Attorney Larry Morse II said Tuesday.

Royal, 37, discovered the graffiti when she looked out her window early Friday. She said she brought Alarcon water when she saw him scrubbing the graffiti Saturday morning.

"I think maybe he got caught up in the moment, and what a price to pay," she said.
There is no change with these behavior modification programs, I sent my child to Second Nature and he is still doing fine five years later. They use a different model than these behavior modification programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 05:29:52 PM »
Oh yeah? Well I sent my kid to Second Nature, he killed me for it, and I'm posting this from HELL!

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
As much as I think this table of deaths is ridiculous because it misses all of the wider moral issues connected to this meanspirited industry, Why has there been none for Summer Camps. Afterall they are a longstanding American tradition tradition. How many kids have died in one of these?

Good Point OzGirl, it would be interesting to see summer camps compared to wilderness and TBS's, I wonder if the data exists, does anyone know?

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Re: Behavior modification returns short-term results
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
A 40 year old 2nd cousin of mine did something like this kid did not so long ago.

Quote from: ""Guest""
Here is an examle of a teen's behavior after going through a behavior-mod program:
By ADAM ASHTON

MERCED SUN-STAR

August 4, 2005

WINTON - The 17-year-old boy who allegedly spray-painted racist slurs in front of a black woman's home last week is one of nine teenagers who participated in a reality TV program to learn better manners.

Isaiah Alarcon has a national audience once a week on ABC's "Brat Camp," which documents his progress through a 50-day Oregon wilderness camp with a focus on disciplining troubled teens.

Now back from the camp, the Atwater High School student reportedly admitted to Merced County Sheriff's Department deputies that he used spray paint to scrawl "spook" and "N---ers live here" in front of preschool teacher Angelic Royal's home on Palomino Drive early Friday morning.

Alarcon and his friend Christopher Farenelli, 18, wrote the slurs and drew a swastika in the street after a drunken night of partying in Ceres, authorities said.

The teens told sheriff's deputies that they did not mean any harm with the graffiti, and Royal said Alarcon tried to clean up the slurs before he was taken into custody Saturday.

Alarcon spent the weekend in Juvenile Hall and was charged with damaging property and interference of civil rights, Sheriff Mark Pazin said.

He said the situation was ironic, but with some serious consequences for Alarcon.

"Reality TV has taken the place of long-term rehabilitation," Pazin said. "These kids had some real serious issues that needed to be dealt with in a long-term process, not a multiweek TV program for entertainment."

Alarcon's mother, Virginia, declined to allow her son to comment Wednesday. She told the Sun-Star last week that his behavior had improved since he returned from "Brat Camp."

The TV show's Web site describes him as an "angry punk rocker who smokes, drinks and has an obsession with fire." The show airs Wednesday at 8 p.m.

"Brat Camp" takes place at SageWalk, a wilderness school at which teens can learn anger management and educational skills. It was filmed between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Alarcon escaped from the camp in one of the episodes, according to an ABC press release.

Farenelli was arrested Saturday after he turned himself into the Sheriff's Department. He faces charges of suspicion of a vandalism and criminal conspiracy charge. He was released after posting $5,200 bail.

Both young men might face increased penalties if they are charged with committing a hate crime. The district attorney's office has not decided what charges it will pursue in their prosecution, Chief Deputy District Attorney Larry Morse II said Tuesday.

Royal, 37, discovered the graffiti when she looked out her window early Friday. She said she brought Alarcon water when she saw him scrubbing the graffiti Saturday morning.

"I think maybe he got caught up in the moment, and what a price to pay," she said.
There is no change with these behavior modification programs, I sent my child to Second Nature and he is still doing fine five years later. They use a different model than these behavior modification programs.
am the metal pig.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Re: Behavior modification returns short-term results
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

Keep in mind the following is a reality TV show

Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
A 40 year old 2nd cousin of mine did something like this kid did not so long ago.

Quote from: ""Guest""
By ADAM ASHTON

MERCED SUN-STAR

August 4, 2005

Keep in mind it is a reality TV show, unless they can create drama no one will watch it.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »
Keep in mind that that is Who's opinion that no one else in the industry shares, particularly program owners and producers.

Brat Camp executive producer Arnold Shapiro has legitimate credentials. He produced the landmark Scared Straight documentary that won an Oscar in 1978 bringing troubled kids face-to-face with hardened criminals in a real prison to steer them from a life of crime. On the other side, his name is also associated with Big Brother and Blow Out, reality TV at its worst.
Shapiro said Brat Camp (a name he was stuck with contractually when the show concept was imported from England) is a serious documentary that will offer hope to thousands of parents dealing with troubled, ill-mannered children.

Redcliff says it's a Documentary and takes it pretty damn seriously
http://www.redcliffascent.com/brat_camp_history.html

SUWS calls it a Documentary
http://www.suwscarolinas.com/press-release.html

as do all these other programs:

SageWalk was chosen for the Brat Camp series because our exciting, powerful, and transformational wilderness school is one of the most effective programs for reaching teens struggilng with behavior and academics.
http://www.sagewalk.com/bratcamp/

Mountain Homes Youth Ranch works with the same types of youth who would qualify for the popular TV show "Brat Camp".
http://www.mhyr.com/brat_camp.html?gcli ... JAodpWA_9A

Oh hell, that's enough. Point made.

2004 GRIERSON AWARD
BRAT CAMP series
Shortlisted, Best Documentary Series or Strand.

Tamara Abood, producer for London based Twenty Twenty Television, which created Brat Camp, says antisocial behavior among teen and issues of family breakdown were grabbing headlines and political attention in Britain at the time the show was being conceptualized. "The idea was to show how our cousins across the water tackle these issues," Abbod says. "We wanted to educate and inform families."....

Redcliff claims they were hesitant...and... "The thing that swayed us more than anything else is we were promised we would have therapeutic control over how things would go," he says. "We told the company we would not alter the program or stage events. We were going to do whatever was necessary to make sure it was in the child's best interest. We were there to provide treatment."

When Redcliff was asked to do a sequel they declined, "For a program to continue to be successful on TV it need to continually up itself the next season. When you're dealing with troubled kids and the wilderness, the only things we could think of were tougher kids or worse weather. We're not willing to take that risk."

Don't ya know they weren't.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
I have no doub that Aspen programs are primarily behav. mod.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 12:57:10 AM »
After speaking with close to 100 former participants, as a former therapist, I would have no doubt saying that the b.m. is the essence of their business model  - how to keep secrecy and control. Whatever other therapy happens in these programs may be useful but only by accident. The psychic rape involved in the points and levels system is brutal. I'm sure that the degree of severity differs from program to program.

I don't know about their weight loss programs. I suspect they are employing a "kinder gentler" sort of behavior mod.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 09:17:50 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
The bottom line is that many of these programs are extremely effective in keeping a child safe and getting them back on their path in life which is what these programs are all about.  .

Cite your sources please.  Independent, long term studies by qualified people.  No parent surveys or questionaires.

You throw that out there all the time with nothing to back it up.  Please refrain from making statement that you have absolutely nothing to support them.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 02:08:45 PM »
Quote from: ""hurleygurley""
After speaking with close to 100 former participants, as a former therapist, I would have no doubt saying that the b.m. is the essence of their business model  - how to keep secrecy and control. Whatever other therapy happens in these programs may be useful but only by accident. The psychic rape involved in the points and levels system is brutal. I'm sure that the degree of severity differs from program to program.

I don't know about their weight loss programs. I suspect they are employing a "kinder gentler" sort of behavior mod.

It's the essence of ALL of them.  Bottom line is, programs are about changing kids against their will (for their own good  :roll: ).  Unless you've got a dx from a psychiatrist that says you're an imminent threat to yourself or others, it's illegal to hold someone.

These places couldn't continue to exist without the extreme strict controls they place on a child and his/her environment.  I keep putting this up but it's  because it's what helped me the most to understand what had been done to me.

http://www.ex-cult.org/General/lifton-criteria

http://www.ex-cult.org/General/singer-conditions

http://www.ex-cult.org/bite.html

http://www.ex-cult.org/General/totalism-group-dynamics

Pay special attention to the sections that deal with environment, thought and information control.   Scary stuff.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa