Author Topic: Porter County to Drug Test Students This Year (DATIA/DFAF)  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Porter County to Drug Test Students This Year (DATIA/DFAF)
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:19:21 AM »
:o  :flame:  :o         WTF? Gotta fill them blue chairs with someone somehow, right?  :flame:  :flame:  :flame:

BY BRIAN WILLIAMS
[email protected]

PORTER TOWNSHIP | Drug testing for township students driving to school or taking part in extracurricular activities could be in place by fall.

Random, unannounced testing of perhaps 10 percent of eligible students would occur several times a year, said Nick Brown, Porter Township School Corp. superintendent.

Brown presented the testing policy and guidelines to the School Board last week. The board will review the policy at its March and April meetings.

Students will be invited to buy into the concept, Brown said. In exchange for the privilege to drive to school or to participate in athletics or clubs, students would agree to the random testing.

Sampling randomly, Brown said, would offer students facing peer pressure to try drugs the opportunity and a reason to say no. A sports team member could turn down an offer of drugs by citing the chance of being tested, he said.

The policy is not designed to be punitive, Brown said. If a test came back positive, the student would lose a certain percentage of team, club or driving privileges. Parents would be notified and opportunities to gain help would be offered.

The district would attempt to keep the testing confidential, Brown said. A student missing athletic time would not be an indicator of a failed drug test, because students become ineligible for academic, injury and behavioral reasons.

Such a policy would not assume that most students experiment with drugs but would offer another layer of protection, Brown said. At the same time, drug use among youth is a problem in every community, and if testing were to save just one life, it would be worth it, he said.

Brown said the goal is to approve a testing policy by the end of this school year so that students will know of it before the start of the 2007-2008 year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:04:26 AM »
What the fuck?? Here it is 2007 and freedom's becoming more & more scarce..

Offline Infinity

• View Profile
    • http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »
Isn't this intended to be a deterrent that actually reduces total drug use (and thus leads to less incarceration, not more?).
size=9]It doesn\'t stop after high school...
The Student Voice[/size]

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 09:51:46 AM »
Then the driving age should be changed to 18 just like the goddam drinking age was changed to 21 years ago. Too many asshole kids on the road anyway; fuck 'em! I'm serious. Old folks too! Make Mr. Magoo take another driving test every once in a while!

But NO fucking drug testing, except for pilots and brain surgeons.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »
"Mommy, I want to play the piano after school for the choir"

"Well my precious daughter, you'll first have to submit to a drug test. It's nothing to worry about, it's just the school's way of protecting you"

"But Mommy, why do I have to submit to a drug test? I don't use drugs. Besides, I'm worried that I'll turn out like Roger."

"Well my precious daughter, like I said, just do it and don't worry about it, it's meant to protect you. Roger? What happened to Roger?"

"Mommy, it was terrible. Roger was wearing a t-shirt with a rock band album's artwork on it. The principal got real mad at Roger and called the police. They took him away to a place called Pathway Family Center. There are several kids at the school who have been to that place and they act like robots. Mommy, I don't want to be a robot."

"Well my precious daughter, you'll be just fine. Those people know what they are doing and you'll have nothing to worry about. Just be careful not to piss off the principal and you should be OK."

:rofl:

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
Has anybody passed along the info that DFAF is actually st8? perhaps digging up the DFAF's skeletons could cause a parental revolt.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Ganja

• View Profile