Author Topic: legal advice for someone fucked in the head  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
legal advice for someone fucked in the head
« on: February 16, 2007, 08:23:57 AM »
How could one go about getting a judgement passed that states that they are too fucked up mentally (by a program) to work?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
By a psychiatrist who will help you fill our state disability paperwork.  They should also help you apply for SSI, federal disability which pays out longer than the state money.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:40:44 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
By a psychiatrist who will help you fill our state disability paperwork.  They should also help you apply for SSI, federal disability which pays out longer than the state money.

I suppose you would need to be able to afford to see a psychiatrist. Is there any way to see one without paying out of pocket? Are they available at community colleges? Would a judgement have to be passed after filling out the paperwork?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
well I got on mine after being arrested and taken to a county mental health place.. so I didnt even have to ask. they forced me to see doctors and stuff.... and the other crazies told me about disability.,, so I just brought in the form to my next meeting and the doc filled it all ou t no prob. got denied SSI though. but I received state disability for psychiatric reasons for a couple years.. about 800 a month.. if I had worked more it would have been more.. but I was only 18 at the time..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »
I suppose you would need to be able to afford to see a psychiatrist. Is there any way to see one without paying out of pocket? Are they available at community colleges? Would a judgement have to be passed after filling out the paperwork?

For federal moneys, SSI, yes, its more complicated. For state benefits, I never so much as had a conversation with anyone from the state. All it took was the doctor filling out a one page green form actually. SSI was different. Having to go into the SOcial security office in person, do interviews, phone interviews, all kinds of hoops. If I was going after SSI I would hire one of those lawyers you hear on TV commercials that do that kind of thing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: legal advice for someone fucked in the head
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »
Quote from: ""Damaged""
How could one go about getting a judgement passed that states that they are too fucked up mentally (by a program) to work?

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :roll:

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 03:36:20 PM »
Depending on where you live, the county may have psychiatric services for indigents. First, you would have to qualify as one by proving that your income is below the poverty line. Then, they will set up an intake appointment, where  you will be assessed.

You can't just get disability for being "fucked up by a program", you need a valid diagnosis. However, PTSD is a valid diagnosis, and that pretty much explains the situation for many survivors.

The first type of disability you want to apply for is state. It pays more. Hell, it even pays more than unemployment. However, it is for a limited amount of time. I think 13 months. During that time, it would be wise to apply for SSDI, especially since you are almost always turned down the first time, and will have to appeal. I also don't know if you qualify for SSI or SSDI, since you have to have made a certain amount in wages in your work history before you can qualify. You normally receive a letter when that happens. The amount you receive in SSDI is modest, to say the least.

If you are seriously looking into going on disability, I would recommend applying to medicaid. Then, after a while you will be eligable for medicare as well.