Author Topic: Discovery Academy - Provo, UT  (Read 15754 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Discovery Academy - Provo, UT
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 11:11:51 PM »
Quote from: ""mel0731""
First, let's remember this is my FORMER husband.  Hitting is not allowed....

My son is classified as an addict.  He used weed, alcohol, Rx drugs and mushrooms.  No nail polish or Marilyn.  In fact, he is a very compliant kid.  

Snake oil is a good term.  And they sell it by the gallons...

mel

Classified an addict by whom?  Himself?  Because nobody else can say so.  Even AA holds to that doctrine.

Is he religious?  If he hates that aspect of AA, and doesn't want to become some Twelve Stepping thrall, you could recommend Rational Recovery...  AA has a horrible sucess rate (3%)...

Does he think he has a problem?  Because if he has a problem, and you want him to get help, he has to believe that...  and if you try to force it, it will backfire.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
Discovery Academy - Provo, UT
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »
Yes, I am clear.  It is the other side I need to convince.  The period before you can talk to you child is between three and six weeks, depending on their level.  Here is one thing I just don't get.  Let's just say you have a child with a brian tumor.  You find the best hospital in the country which is miles from home.  You are prepared to deplete much of your live savings to help your child.  Then, the doctor says that you cannot see you sick child, miles from home in a strange city, for six weeks.  No one would put up with that, but yet, in this industry, parents are willing to say OK.

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 11:13:50 PM »
Mel,
I sent you a Private Message:  and you may want to try and talk to Deborah who usually post on the Hidden Lake section.
Deborah is very familiar with facilities in Texas.

Joyce

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 11:16:29 PM »
He does believe he is an addict. His problem got to be quite severe.  In fact, he overdosed in December.   Maybe classified was not the right word...

He is buying into the 12 steps, although, he has found something more Biblically based that he has embraced.  

He is telling me that is wants to be clean and sober.  I want to believe he is telling me the truth.  He has not enjoyed rehab.  Well, who does?  But, it has given him some good time to reflect and I do believe he wants his life back...

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 11:23:12 PM »
Yes, I am clear.  It is the other side I need to convince.  The period before you can talk to you child is between three and six weeks, depending on their level.  Here is one thing I just don't get.  Let's just say you have a child with a brian tumor.  You find the best hospital in the country which is miles from home.  You are prepared to deplete much of your live savings to help your child.  Then, the doctor says that you cannot see you sick child, miles from home in a strange city, for six weeks.  No one would put up with that, but yet, in this industry, parents are willing to say OK.

The parents, stricken by fear, nod and say "ok!  you know best"

I don't get it either.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »
Mel:  there is NO GUARANTEE that the parents have contact with their children in SIX WEEKS---it depends on when the program decides that the child has reached this level.

It could take a LOT LONGER THAN 6 weeks for your son to get to the "level for parental contact."

My daughter was at Whitmore Academy--and we were never told about "no contact for a month" until after we had left her there. When I was told about this "no contact" after we returned home, after enrolling her: I said, "Absolutely not. PUT MY DAUGHTER ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW, or I will be there to pick her up immediately!"  We were allowed telephone contact--but other parents did not exert this "right."

But: we removed our daughter after 2 months, when an investigation of child abuse against the owners began.

It probably depends on what is agreed to in the enrollment contract.  We NEVER agreed to "no contact with our daughter" for any specified time.

Good luck.

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 11:25:32 PM »
I am off for the night.  Wish me the best as I am going to visit a couple of community resources tomorrow for my son.  

Thank you all so very much.  I am sure you have not heard the last of me.  Hope to give you good reports and I will be back on the site.

Good night....
mel

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 11:26:12 PM »
Yes, I am clear.  It is the other side I need to convince.

Mel: Bring the other side here. Or a few people here can get into contact with him. Either way.

Your ex-husband isn't actually evil or sadistic, is he?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 11:27:54 PM »
He does believe he is an addict. His problem got to be quite severe.  In fact, he overdosed in December.   Maybe classified was not the right word...

overdosed on what?

He is buying into the 12 steps, although, he has found something more Biblically based that he has embraced.  

He is telling me that is wants to be clean and sober.  I want to believe he is telling me the truth.  He has not enjoyed rehab.  Well, who does?  But, it has given him some good time to reflect and I do believe he wants his life back...

Did he believe he was an addict before going to the rehab?  This is relatively important, since i've heard that particular 30 day rehab can be very confrontational.  Some people believe things that are not true about himself and/or create self-fulfilling prophecies.

If he is an addict, and he is at a point where he wants to help himself, if he likes AA... Fine.  great.  I would recommend Rational Recovery instead (does not require changing life around, sponsors, etc.)  But why send him to an TBS?

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
No, his father is not sadistic.  He believes what the therapists are telling him hook, line and sinker.  He is quite intelligent, but I think wants to take all precautions he can.  Or I should say, the precautions being recommended by the rehab place.

You raise an interesting point about being an addict before admission.  Yes, he thought and knew he had a problem and admitted that to me.  He was seeing a therapist here at home and she told me that he truly needed help.  

As far as the OD, he had three times the legal amount of alcohol in his system, opiates, benzos and he had taken mushrooms.  Not a great combination...

As far as why a TBS, the therapsits at rehab think that this will give him a better chance at recovery than coming home or attending a small boarding school about 80 miles from my home.  I am pushing for option #2 for a variety of reasons.  My son believes he can be successful there.  He is scared to death to go to Discovery and has cried when it has been discussed.  He saw the DA Forum website with comments from former students before it was pulled.

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
Discovery Academy
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
Mel:

Please read a new topic that is posted under:
TROUBLED TEEN INDUSTRY
"New Program"

This topic was posted yesterday about a new facility that was opened in Utah in January 2007.
This facility, Oxbow Academy is also connected to Discovery Academy.

This will provide you with more information.

Joyce Harris

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »
Looks like you've found info on Discovery. I'm curious about Sundown Ranch/ Ranch Academy
The facility was founded by Irving lawyer Robert Power.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 99b00.html

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p= ... f7fe#71316

Red Flag. They aren't licensed by the Tx Dept of Family and Protective Services as a Residential Treatment Facility. And they "faith-based", therefore, exempt? Or does their classification as a "charter school" exempt them?
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Care/ ... ential.asp
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline mel0731

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 08:29:10 PM »
That is interesting they are listed as faith-based.  I have seen no evidence of that when I have been there....

I did call DA today to find out who is on their board of directors.  No return phone call....

I cannot fully express my gratitude at the out pouring of support and information.  This is all new territory to me and I appreciate everyone's information and insights.  

Please let me know if I can help anyone.  My knowledge is only of Sundown Ranch as that is where my son is now.  

I hope I can bring him home soon...

-mel

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
I was at DA for 1 year and I can look back and say that sending me there was the best decision my parents ever made.  I was hooked on drugs and I was struggling with bipolar (but didn't know it) - I was on my way down a road with no positive future.  Nothing bad ever happened to me there, I had a wonderful therapist that made me feel good about myself.  I did get in trouble on occasion and was punished but never to any extreme or that I didn't deserve.  

No having said that, I do not believe that the owners now are the same as when I was there - all this info may not pertain.  I was there 1993-1994.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
I was at DA for 1 year and I can look back and say that sending me there was the best decision my parents ever made.  I was hooked on drugs and I was struggling with bipolar (but didn't know it) - I was on my way down a road with no positive future.  Nothing bad ever happened to me there, I had a wonderful therapist that made me feel good about myself.  I did get in trouble on occasion and was punished but never to any extreme or that I didn't deserve.  

No having said that, I do not believe that the owners now are the same as when I was there - all this info may not pertain.  I was there 1993-1994.