Author Topic: the HYDE FOUNDATION: bringing LGATs into Public Schools  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: The 360° Education; HYDE vs. HOFFMAN
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 01:02:51 AM »
Quote from: "cid viscous"
Quote from: "Ursus"
Btw, Bob Hoffman's assertion "I coined the word Quadrinity" would appear to be in direct conflict with Ken Ireland's attributing the origin of this term to someone else :

"Some key people are dead, among them
Julius Brandstatter, the man who coined the word 'Quadrinity' to reflect the four aspects of being human— physical, intellectual, spiritual and emotional. I met Julius and his wife Miriam when they returned from Israel in the 70's; their work with Hoffman continued through the re-casting of the Process into the current seven-and-a-half-day format. In the opinion of most observers, their contribution was never fully acknowledged by Hoffman."[/list]
Yeah! Human development guru smack down over who coined the word "Quadrinity."  If _I_ had coined it I would be all like, "no I didn't bitch, that was my brother or some shit. I don't be sayin' shit like quad didn't he, shit yo"

The Holy Trinity:
    We are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.[/list]
    Julius Brandstatter:
      Yo, Bob... So Miriam and I have been doing some research here in Israel and in light of your, er...
    legal difficulties with Mrs. Fischer over the use of her husband's name for the 'Fischer-Hoffman Psychic Therapy', we've been thinking... Why don't we call it 'The Quadrinity Process', the subliminal associations oughta make for some great marketing! It could stand for... lessee... I know! What it means to be human: physical, intellectual, spiritual and emotional... you know...[/list]
    Bob Hoffman:
      Yo, Julius... you dead. What's more,
    I can see and feel the spirit of the esteemed Dr. Siegfreid Fischer before me (I'm psychic, you know), and he's telling me that... I coined the word Quadrinity, so have a nice life in the ether beyonder there...[/list]
    Joe Gauld:
      Yo, Bob... you dead. What's more, I think I'll just stick 'social' in that mix so I can call it
    mine since that's just the way we do things here at Hyde School. We can call it... lessee... I know! 'The Hyde-Hoffman Process'! I don't want none of them gol-darn legal difficulties for me! I'm a brilliant mathematician! And I have a special gift for understanding kids! Especially since I've rediscovered my inner child, thanks to you! So have a nice life in the ether beyonder there...[/list]
    « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    IPSES - Physical
    « Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
    IPSES continued...

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

04/15/2009
    IPSES - Physical

Facing physical challenges is a way to help us understand our capabilities and our limitations. As with each area of IPSES (intellectual, physical, social, emotional, spiritiual) it is not adequate as the single approach to stimulate self-awareness. Each area of challenge brings its own level of challenge and comfort or discomfort to an individual; the array of challenge brings learning opportunities to everyone regardless of where their innate talents lie.

Every Hyde charter school teacher is required to attend an orientation retreat that we call Hyde 101. During this retreat, in addition to learning the philosophy and practices that are unique to our schools, teachers engage in self-reflection and challenges to deepen their understanding of their attitudes and approach. All this work makes them better able to reach their students at school and to model a life of growing potential. As part of the retreat, each member of the team climbs the ropes course. This facilitated experience entails participants climbing a rope ladder, or stakes, to a wire traverse hung 30 feet high between trees. This is an experience that regularly asks people to push beyond their comfort zone with heights, physical activity and trusting others. A successful climb is one where the individual tried his/her best. For some, best is hugging a tree at 6 feet off the ground; for others it is climbing blind-folded. Through trying their best with the vocal support of team members, teachers discover they have a new perception of their limitations.

Through this group experience of individual physical challenge, we inspire ourselves and one another.

Jennifer H. Burns[/list]

Posted at 12:20 PM  | Permalink
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Public School Parent Workshops
      « Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
      Cultivating (indoctrinating?) the community:

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

04/16/2009
      Public School Parent Workshops

Part of the vision of the Hyde Schools Foundation is to cultivate family programs in public schools and create parent programming in schools as more than just specialty events. The following summary highlights some of our key practices.

Last night was the final parent workshop for the MSAD 75 school district for this academic year. The Hyde Schools Foundation offered one workshop at each elementary school. MSAD 75 has 6 elementary schools in 4 towns (Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Harpswell, Topsham). The spring 2009 Parent Partnership program consists of workshops as a series of two. In February, Hyde Foundation Training Director Jennifer Burns covered the principle, Truth Over Harmony for all of the schools; in April, she introduced Principles Over Rules.

The foundations goal for the program offered to MSAD 75 was to build a parent demand for similar programming in the future. Parent feedback during the April meetings indicates that the desire is there. As we have seen repeatedly, the 10 Priorities—and the opportunity to discuss parenting without judgement and with support to improvement—is moving and motivating for parents.

Essential Elements that Make Our Family Program in Public Schools Successful:

1. Determined leadership—when school leaders have a vision for their schools that include parents and communities, these programs and the people involved flourish. Those leaders who are determined over the long haul to make it work have the ability to influence other school leaders and find funding. In one case, an Asst. Superintendant attended every event and oversaw the childcare. No job is too big or too small if it contributes to this leader's goals.

2. Long term commitment—we acknowledge that parent community is something that is intentionally built. We set reasonable goals to increase participation and involvement from parents and school leaders. We will work toward faculty development using the Hyde School model and language. The goals are "whole school" not just parent programming, but we see the parents as the cohort who can build momentum and influence change.

3. A nourishing experience—We provide childcare and food with each workshop. We are vigilant about observing the start and finish times we set. While we ate in cafeterias and classrooms, the spaces are made welcoming with tablecloths and simple decorations. The parents feel relaxed as their children scamper off to join friends and teen supervisors on the playground and in classrooms. Principals and counselors attend, as well, and provide a familiar, welcoming presence.

Posted at 08:32 AM | Permalink
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------