Author Topic: I Have A Troubled Son. What should I do?  (Read 26566 times)

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
I Have A Troubled Son. What should I do?
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:49:25 PM »
I have a 15 year old son, lives with me and his mom. He met bad kid at public school last semester and started with bad crowd. Now he has been suspended four times for smoking, terrible grades last semester, tested positive for THC, bought pot at school, gets cigs at school, took mushrooms and OTC pills to school to sell, physical fights with parents, curses at parents, took parent's car at 2:00 am for joyride, runs away for several hours at a time, pulled knife on parents, doesn't want any rules.

Son has treated with a psychologist and psychiatrist for a year and a half for OCD first and now depression. Is on enough anti-depressant med, but this doesn't stop his actions. I have tried talking to him and have spent time with him. I tried to get him into track and field this semister and even offered to pay him for doing it. He did two days and quit. Also, offered to get him a car if he would make good grades and quit the cigs and pot. It didn't help. He bought pot at school last week. I threatened to cut off his guitar lessons if he got suspended again for smoking cigs. But, he got suspended again last week for that.

I checked him into a medical treatment facility for emotional and drug problems last week. It's short-term. He gets out in a couple of days. I started researching some TBS's about 3 weeks ago and read the horror stories about some of those on this site and others, so I won't send him to one of those.

Does anyone know of a legit TBS or program that includes school work? If not, any suggestions on what to do for my son? He will be selling pot at school if he stays there and end up in jail. I checked into one private school near our home and it won't take him.

A therapist suggested this program by Eckerd:
http://www.eckerdyouthalternatives.org/
The one he would go to is in Hendersonville, NC. I have seen bad things about some "wilderness schools" on the internet. Any info on this particular program or Eckerd in general? Other suggestions?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
[troll9]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »
i aggree he is probably a troll... but just in case..

lemme help you out:

http://http://www.google.com/search?q=Eckerd+site%3Afornits.com
http://http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Eckerd+Youth+Alternatives%22+site%3Afornits.com&btnG=Search
It's called google.  use it.
if you don't find results on the first hit, keep clicking.

No.  Don't send your kid to a program.  see how he does once he gets back from the 30 day place.

http://http://astart.fmhi.usf.edu/

Look.  Just do your research and you'll find out that no placement is safe.  Read "help at any cost" by Maia Slavitz if you really need a long, detailed, explanation of why... if that still doesn't help, come back and ask some questions.

Is eckerd safe:
ask this kid:

Michael Wiltsie. Death due to suffocation for during a restraint over walking away from a huddle.

again.. google helps
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
I assure you, I am no troll
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »
This is a real situation. And it's more like a 7 day place. I couldn't even get him in there until I mentioned "suicide." I don't think he is really suicidal, but he did mention it.

I know how to Google. That's how I found this website and a few others. I started researching TBS's when a co-worker of a relative suggested a certain "school." In researching it I learned about the horrors of some TBS's. The school suggested to me turned out to be a former WWASP school in Ga.

I get the impression that this is a site for people who had horrible experiences at horrible TBS's. I figured that if there is any dirt on the program in Hendersonville, NC, I could find it here. After I posted, I searched the site and found an article about a death at an Eckerd program in Florida.

Does anyone have a positive suggestion about my son's situation? My son gets out of the very short-term program today or tomorrow. He still thinks that smoking pot is OK, his drug dealer friend is OK, and he shouldn't have any rules.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:43:51 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 03:37:13 PM »
What do you think the TBS is going to do that you can?t? And, how? What are your expectations? Are you seeking a private, more cushy prison?

Save your money and require that he get a part-time job. McDonalds, Taco Bell, WalMart.
Do not offered to buy a car as a bribe. Doesn?t work. The stakes just get higher. What will you bribe him with to keep him from driving under the influence? If he is not mature enough to hold down a job to at least help pay the auto expense, then he?s probably not mature enough to drive. Don?t pay for Driver?s Ed either. If he?s not motivated to work to pay for, probably sh0uldn?t have a car. It?s a pain in the ass, but keep your money and keys in a safe place. When a kid is faced with "what I want" and "what you want", "what I want" will always take precedent. Don't take it personally.

Stop trying to rescue him from society?s consequences. So what, if he ends up in jail for pot?  Worse things could happen. He won?t be there long, and a fine and probation might be what?s necessary to put things in perspective. Why prolong that life lesson, if he doesn?t have the good sense to be more cautious? If he completes his probation with no problem, his record can be sealed.

Pulled a knife? I certainly don?t get this one. I can?t imagine what a parent could do to enrage their child to this degree. You and he might benefit from pondering that question. Find a good family therapist who'll let your kids tell you why he's so angry at you. And you need to divulge this to any program you might consider. I've never seen one that says they take violent kids, actually the opposite, although we know that some do. Other parents don?t want their smart-mouthing kids warehoused with violent kids.

Keep looking for educational alternatives. Better yet, put that one in his court, by asking him what his long-term plans are.  Graduation? GED? College? Work? Make up a budget and help him realize how much money he will need to live independently and how much he?ll need to earn to do so. And the next step?.and the next step.... and help him get there without doing it for him.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: I assure you, I am no troll
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »
Quote from: ""Dad Trying""
This is a real situation. And it's more like a 7 day place. I couldn't even get him in there until I mentioned "suicide." I don't think he is really suicidal, but he did mention it.

I know how to Google. That's how I found this website and a few others. I started researching TBS's when a co-worker of a relative suggested a certain "school." In researching it I learned about the horrors of some TBS's. The school suggested to me turned out to be a former WWASP school in Ga.

I get the impression that this is a site for people who had horrible experiences at horrible TBS's. I figured that if there is any dirt on the program in Hendersonville, NC, I could find it here. After I posted, I searched the site and found an article about a death at an Eckerd program in Florida.

Does anyone have a positive suggestion about my son's situation? My son gets out of the very short-term program today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Sorry if i seem negative to you.  There are many people who come onto this site pretending to be parents, often asking questions that seem silly to most that have been around here a while.

I can't emphasize enough how unsafe this industry is.  As far a suggestions for help?  I am not a mental health professional (and neither are educational consultants, or most that work at these programs).

I suggest you ask a therapist what his advice is.  If he suggests a TBS, point him to this site, and we will point him to the ASTART to get a clue.

If you want my advice?  Imagine you couldn't afford a TBS and go from there.  Exhausted, who posts on this site, could probably also offer some advice.  She is a parent who had similar issues with her kids and learned to work them out on her own.

Your son is depressed, and has issues of his own, a TBS won't fix that, it will temporarily "fix" the behavior, (which will most likely return to normal once he leaves).  At that point.  He will also hate you.  Ask yourself: is he the forgiving type?  The underlying issues will still be there, and only introspection and/or therapy can help that.

My advice on what to do:  See how he acts when he gets home.

What to do if he acts out?  Ask a mental health professional.  Functional Family Therapy can do a lot for these situations as well.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
Google the side effects of anti-depressant, and how many kids have suicided while taking them. They may be contributing to his current state of mind. Hopelessness, anger, loss of passion don't require medication. Again, help him find something to be passionate about. It's in there, keep digging til you/he find it.
Reminds me of a story I read on ST this morning. Kid went through a long-term TBS, came out and went back to her old ways. Ended up pregnant at 17. Being a mom has brought her peace for the first time in a long time. You never know what a kid needs to find meaning and purpose in their life. You can't force your dream on them, so help them find their's. Won't work any other way, not any any humane kind of way.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're for real.

Don't expect too much from a 30 day detox. If he still has the attitude that he wants to use (more likely than not), he will jump right back into the same old routine.

Get him out of that school. Since he's been gone for 30 days, this semester is shot anyway, and it sounds like he wasn't putting much effort into school. Find out if you have local charter school options or online school options, if he's even willing to do school of any kind. If he's not willing to do any sort of school besides the one he was attending, tell him he's not going back to that school and that he needs to get a job. Sitting around doing nothing all day should not be an option.

How does he get car keys? Those should be locked up. Where does he get money for the things he's been buying? Assuming he doesn't have a job, he's either stealing, dealing or both. Lock up anything of value before it just disappears (been there done that). Why are you threatening to cut off guitar lessons? The guitar should be gone. Cell phone? Gone. Computer, internet, video games? Gone. Offer him little more than food, a roof over his head, a willingness to pay for therapy and of course your love & support. Write a behavior contract, spelling out the rewards he can earn for responsible conduct (i.e., earning back the things & priveleges you took away).

If he doesn't like the psychologist he's been seeing, find another one. And another and another until he finds someone he feels comfortable talking to. Otherwise you're just wasting your money and his time.

Prepare yourself for the battle of the century, but try to always be looking out for ways to praise him verbally reward him when he acts responsibly or says or does something positive. Try not to engage him or argue with him when he picks a fight. It's so hard to do, but the argument itself may be a 'reward' for the very behavior you don't want to reward. If he gets physical, tell him to leave and go for a walk until he calms down. If he runs away, let him run. He will come back.

If you just let things go on as they were, there is a good chance that he will eventually have a run-in with law enforcement, either directly or via the school authorities. That will put him into the juvenile justice system and will put you in a position where you have a lot less influence on what happens to him.

If you put him in a program, there is strong possibility he will come out a lot more damaged than when he went in. The best you could hope for is that they do no harm, but understand that they aren't really going to help either. Oh by the way, going the program route also means parting with your life's savings and/or getting a second mortgage.

Good luck to you and your son.
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Re: I assure you, I am no troll
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Quote from: ""Dad Trying""

Does anyone have a positive suggestion about my son's situation? My son gets out of the very short-term program today or tomorrow. He still thinks that smoking pot is OK, his drug dealer friend is OK, and he shouldn't have any rules.

Thanks.

I had a similar situation and would suggest trying to get your son to see a different local therapist and also one that can work with the family (yourself and spouse).  It is important that your son?s therapist become an advocate solely for himself.  The family therapist can help you with gaining insight into what your son is going through, issues he is dealing with and help you gain some perspective or at least maybe a different perspective.  The two therapists can speak to one another also if you all agree and this can add another conduit of communication both ways between yourself and your son.
Personally I wouldn?t sweat the pot issue; a TBS is way over kill for that, in my opinion.  Don?t buy him stuff, car etc. to bribe him to act right it doesn?t work as Deborah/psy suggested.  Its good that you are starting to research TBS?s ahead of time so if the time comes you are prepared and educated, but I strongly suggest you exhaust all your local options first.
Our family had a positive experience with TBS?s but most here on fornits did not have a good experience with the industry as a whole.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:14:31 PM by Guest »

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
What do you think the TBS is going to do that you can?t? And, how? What are your expectations? Are you seeking a private, more cushy prison?

Save your money and require that he get a part-time job. McDonalds, Taco Bell, WalMart.
Do not offered to buy a car as a bribe. Doesn?t work. The stakes just get higher. What will you bribe him with to keep him from driving under the influence? If he is not mature enough to hold down a job to at least help pay the auto expense, then he?s probably not mature enough to drive. Don?t pay for Driver?s Ed either. If he?s not motivated to work to pay for, probably sh0uldn?t have a car. It?s a pain in the ass, but keep your money and keys in a safe place. When a kid is faced with "what I want" and "what you want", "what I want" will always take precedent. Don't take it personally.

Stop trying to rescue him from society?s consequences. So what, if he ends up in jail for pot?  Worse things could happen. He won?t be there long, and a fine and probation might be what?s necessary to put things in perspective. Why prolong that life lesson, if he doesn?t have the good sense to be more cautious? If he completes his probation with no problem, his record can be sealed.

Pulled a knife? I certainly don?t get this one. I can?t imagine what a parent could do to enrage their child to this degree. You and he might benefit from pondering that question. Find a good family therapist who'll let your kids tell you why he's so angry at you. And I want you to divulge this to any program you might consider. I've never seen one that says they take violent kids, actually the opposite, although we know that some do. Other parents don?t want their smart-mouthing kids warehoused with violent kids.

Keep looking for educational alternatives. Better yet, put that one in his court, by asking him what his long-term plans are.  Graduation? GED? College? Work? Make up a budget and help him realize how much money he will need to live independently and how much he?ll need to earn to do so. And the next step?.and the next step.... and help him get there without doing it for him.

My expectation for a TBS is that it will change his environment (get him away from public school and bad friends and drugs), and teach him responsibility and give him concentrated therapy. It should also keep him physically active. Maybe there isn't a TBS out there that does this.

I tried to help him get a job, but he couldn't find one available for a 15 year old. He actually wanted a job, but I think he wanted to get a car to be more "free."

The suggestion to let him learn his lessons early isn't bad. The MD actually suggested this morning that I call the police and let him go through the judicial system if he starts another fist fight. I would hate to see him get caught selling pot though, and if he doesn't get caught early, it will be a terrible lifestyle at 18 YOA.

The reason he pulled the knife is because he failed a drug test and thought his mother had hidden his wallet. He packed a bag and said he was leaving and pulled the knife when I stopped him. It was a power play instead of an attempt to hurt me.  

I have asked him what his future will be if he keeps this up-- no college, etc. He used to say he wants to go to college. Now he says he'll work with his hands. He's very intelligent, but has some stupid ideas now. He didn't have any problems until he met the bad friends.

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 04:20:43 PM »
psy,

Thanks for your suggestions.

A therapist who came highly recommended suggested the program I linked above. Maybe she needs to visit this site.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »
SIBS can help you!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »
I am just surprised this same troll works over and over and over again.  :rofl:

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »
70'spunk rebel,

Thanks to you also. Some very good suggestions. The MD suggested behavior contracts. We learned to secure the car keys. He lost the cell phone. The money and guitar were from Christmas. He has to go to school somewhere (15 YOA). plus, I want him to go. I'll keep trying to find a private school.

Offline Dad Trying

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 05:00:48 PM »
The Who,

Thanks for your detailed therapy suggestions.

I did feel like I would be sort of abandoning my son by shipping him off to a TBS, but I was under the impression that he could actually get treatment there while also being separated from the bad element.