Author Topic: SUWS Marketed as Treatment for Aspergers  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
SUWS Marketed as Treatment for Aspergers
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:33:52 PM »
Get a load....NILES, wanna weight in on this?

AEG is marketing SUWS wilderness as treatment for Aspergers
http://www.suws.com/asperger/

Press Release
SUWS
Shoshone, ID
SUWS Wilderness Therapy For Aspergers
February 12, 2007

The therapeutic camping experience of wilderness therapy helps children and teens with Asperger's Syndrome develop social skills and learn strategies to deal with frustration.

He has trouble making friends with kids his age.

She seems so uncoordinated.

He has a strange obsession with bugs.

She misses social cues and doesn't recognize it when her peers react negatively to her behavior.

Can these teens go camping?

Jeffrey Derry, MA LPC NCC, clinical director of the SUWS programs, believes so.

SUWS is an outdoor, short-term therapeutic program headquartered in Shoshone, Idaho, that has been serving struggling youth for over twenty-five years.

Derry believes that teens with Asperger Syndrome could benefit as well.

Asperger's disorder/syndrome is a fairly new and often misdiagnosed condition in adolescents and adults. Some of the common symptoms of this Disorder are marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction. In addition there is generally an inability to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental age and restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities.

Teens with the disorder often have high IQs and become experts on one particular subject. However, what often causes them the most pain in life is their inability to connect with others. "Children/adults diagnosed with Asperger's disorder" often have to learn intellectually how to make eye contact, read body language and other social skills that come naturally to others.

Being different is particularly painful for teenagers, who notoriously care what their friends think about them. For Children diagnosed with Asperger's this is especially difficult due to how they view the world. Most Children diagnosed with Asperger's face exclusion and rejection, especially in mainstream schools. Most experts on the disorder believe that it is impossible for Children/adults diagnosed with Asperger's disorder to learn social skills and sensitivity to others in an ordinary high school classroom. If Children/adults diagnosed with Asperger's disorder receive one-on-one training and intervention, they can go on to lead productive adult lives.
 :question: One-on-one training and intervention. Does that describe wilderness?

Derry believes that time in the wilderness could "jump start" a new understanding of others and social relationships for these teens. SUWS teens camp and hike in small peer groups that always have no less than a 4 to 1 ratio student to trained wilderness staff. In addition each student is assigned to a field supervisor/therapist who sees him/her 3-8 hours each week. The 24 hour/ 7 day a week interactions with the staff, therapist and other students help create a nurturing and open environment. This way learning social skills becomes a natural part of enjoying the outdoors together.
Oh, not a cure, but a jump start. Like a jump start into a TBS? Well, they won't have to worry about making eye contact cause they'll only see the backs of their peer heads while they're on forced marches. No worries about interaction either, as they march in silence.

Derry individually selects each group of campers in terms of the individual's needs, behaviors, and functioning level. With this level of selection the ability to create a small nurturing and supportive peer culture allows for the first time, an Asperger's disorder diagnosed student to be with a small group of friends who accept and like him or her as a real "camping buddy."
 :question: And what if they genuinely don't accept or like him? "Camping Buddy"? What a load. Since when is Wilderness equivalent to "camping"? And, why do they need to go to the remote desert when they clearly need one-on-one training? What a marketing scam.

"The use of appropriate and often hand-selected peer interaction will help with delayed social development and self-esteem," he says.

He also explains that the counselors and therapist will use the latest techniques, such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy. This therapy helps people learn to better tolerate stress and interpersonal conflicts. The therapist also works extensively with the teens' parents and family helping to educate them on the process and to understand the condition. There is a long orientation process before any teen goes into the wilderness. Derry explains that he requires extensive testing of each teen before any wilderness experience to make sure "the diagnosis is solid and to develop a program individually structured to the age, sex and needs of the child."
 :question: Individually structured? Puleez.

SUWS enrolls teens ages 11 to 17 for a wilderness experience of four to nine weeks, depending on the individual's needs. Then the staff helps them successfully transition to a home setting or a therapeutic boarding school, if necessary.
There we go. Yep, a jump start into a TBS for Aspergers kids.

To learn more about how SUWS works with teens with Asperger Syndrome visit www.suws.com or call 888.879.7897.
~~

Is Who handling the marketing for Aspen?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 11:30:03 PM »
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

I think this categorically proves that the programmies are getting more and more desperate. First they claim to be able to cure sexual desires, and now this?

They must be completely out of their pea-sized minds.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:07:07 AM »
A PROGRAM to help teach SOCIAL SKILLS AND FRUSTRATION?

:rofl:

Right. Riiight... something a program rather by design fucks up and takes advantage of to break you down, respectively!

I think I'm going to start pulling strings here. This is bullshit, Utter fucking BULLSHIT.

Also, child protective services in NC are gestapo-nazis. Yes, that was a double godwin, but whatever... I know from experience.

I say we full court fucking press. Acutal psychologists would probably jump out of their skin at the bullshit a wilderness program does to an aspergers kid... and the very concept of takingan aspergers kid out of a stable environment and putting them in the WOODS AT ALL and doing the program's staple bullshit to them on top of it...

:flame:  If I can get enough people behind me...
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:11:15 PM »
"the diagnosis is solid and to develop a program individually structured to the age, sex and needs of the child."

yep... individually structured....

your alone in line,
you follow the person in front
the person in back follows you
you dont talk....

SOLO time!!!! yippy....  

All children /need/ this.... yep......

/end sarcasm

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:42:30 AM »
Punch drinkers are already in the AS community!

http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/showthr ... &#pid85802

:roll: oh god here we go again.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:55:01 PM »
Now, the version for those of us who don't have accounts?

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:07 PM »
Oh register one, it doesnt take any time at all... Ginger did!

Anyway it seems some of them were either mistaken about it or were mislead about it by talking to a counselor who worked at a wilderness place.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »
You don't have to register to read. Click
Aspies For Freedom Forums

But... which topic is it in?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile