Author Topic: The Carlbrook thread  (Read 51714 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 11:43:49 PM »
Quote from: ""Social Security""
Hey everyone, just wanted to tell yas I've been reading along..

Gonna go catch Letterman, ttyl.

Hey, not a bad idea.  I've been watching him a little more lately.  Switching from a Stewart/Colbert overload I think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 11:44:43 PM »
So you seemed to have done your research about these programs and came up with a total of three you found acceptable for your son. I am curious, how many kids does Carlbrook hold? Based on what you are saying, all three schools could only absorb maybe a couple hundred kids. What would you tell the parents of the thousands of other kids who want to send their kid away, once those top three schools are filled... if that were the case, would you recommend a parent seek treatment for their child from a private, unregulated out of state TBS? What would you recommend to those parents in that case?

The reason I ask is because these are the questions that get posed to anti-program people all the time. I am sincerely curious as to how you perceive these questions and what type of advice you would give.

lets say a parent emails you and says their kid was using pot, stole a car with his friends but got away, recently got kicked out of school, and they are considering an aspen wilderness followed by a stay at midwest academy wwasp program... what kind of thing would you say to a parent , seeing as how you have been in a similar situation?

i have another question

you say if a kid ran away they just followed them.. did they do physical restraints, have an isolation room, restraints chemical or leather straps or anything. If not, what happened to a kid who would run away.. were they sent to the next worse level of program? what if your kid had kept pushing the system even harder, how far down wou you have taken it?

i am also curious as to the price of carlbrook. thanks in advance for your perspective.
It\'s time to get real!?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 12:06:08 AM »
So i did a little looking up about Glenn Bender:

"Glenn F. Bender, A.B., M.A., Ph.D. Dean of Academics With a Bachelor of Arts from Kenyon College and a Master of Arts and Doctorate in Philosophy and Educational Policy Studies from the University of Wisconsin, Dr. Bender brings extensive academic and administrative experience to the Board of Regents. During a 25 year career in secondary and higher education, he has served as Dean of Academics and Dean of Admissions at the Academy at Swift River in Massachusetts, Director of Academics at Cascade School in California, Director of Admissions at Blue Ridge School in Virginia, and Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southwestern Louisiana."

That is his resume from the Carlbrook site.

It's incomplete though:
Guess what he did next...

"DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS/MARKETING/
Glenn F. Bender, Ph.D., M.A., A.B.
Glenn Bender has a doctorate in philosophy and educational policy studies, as well as a Masters in philosophy from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. During a 25-year career in education, Dr. Bender has served as Dean of Admissions and Dean of Academics at the Academy at Swift River; Director of Academics at the Cascade School, Director of Admissions at Blue Ridge School, Director of Admissions and Director of Academics at Rocky Mountain Academy and Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southwestern Louisiana."

That is his resumé from the Alldredge (Ayne) Academy site.

Odd.  Director of admissions at RMA.  Same job Lon used to have.  Hmm... A pattern i'm seeing here... ::ftard::

Btw.  Karen.  Rocky Mountain Academy...  Worst CEDU school...  and this clown was a director....

Cascade?  I had a staff member (Carl Janowitz) from there too at bmark... EVIL person..  You know what it was shut down for right? *COUGH*  whoo.  that was a nasty sneeze.

Oh me oh my.  what A coincidence  Here's HIS resume
Carl Janowitz, Program Coordinator - SWIFT RIVER ACADEMY

MA, Counseling, California State University; BA, Psychology, California State University; seven years experience as Counseling Supervisor, Cascade School; three years experience as a Counselor, Cedu School, nine years experience as Program Director, Advocate Schools; two years experience teaching english and journalism.

interesting that all these completely different people follow such similar career paths.. isn't it.

Now the fucker (Carl that is) is dying of cancer.  Karma's a bitch! ::cheers::

Alldredge (later "officially" changed to Ayne) academy... Named twice to avoid the feds!  Why?  hm...  i did research on this one for somebody:

Due to felony child neglect charges, resulting in the death of a child, Alldredge closed and opened (offcially) under a new name.

http://www.isaccorp.org/alldredge/alldr ... 15.02.html
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=4233#4233

Aw hell: just do this: http://http://www.google.com/search?q=alldredge+site:fornits.com

Oh.. and according to this court document  the clown was director of admissions at the place at the time this little incident...  Read up.

I feel i should stop..
Oh... fudge.. i'm gonna

Joseph left Alldredge Academy on December 14, 2000 and
met the Giannones at Philadelphia International Airport.  Joseph
could not walk without excruciating pain, so his parents used a
wheelchair to transport him to their car and had to assist him
into their house.  Safely at home, Joseph told his parents that,
at Alldredge, he had slept outside in the snow, sheltered only by
a sleeping bag with a plastic cover.  Id. at ¶¶ 91-96.  
The next day, the Giannones took Joseph to the
Emergency Room at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.  Joseph
had lost fifteen pounds since entering Alldredge's program, and
doctors diagnosed him with bi-lateral frostbite of the feet and
neuropathic pain.  Joseph received pain medication and remained
at the hospital overnight.  Later, he was transferred to the
intensive care unit.  Id. at ¶¶ 98-104, 115.
Over the following days, Joseph began to relate some of
his experiences at Alldredge to his parents.  He had slept
outside in the cold without any kind of heat or shelter, except
for his sleeping bag.  Alldredge employees berated Joseph when he
asked to speak with his parents.  Unable to make a fire for
himself, Joseph attempted to eat "frozen" food, but the food
caused him to vomit.  Travis and Keith, two Alldredge employees,
poured water down his throat, causing him to choke, and they
poured water on his chest as a form of punishment.  The wet
clothing froze and stuck to Joseph's body, leaving him cold
throughout the day.  Id. at ¶¶ 108-14.

On their own behalf on behalf of Joseph, the Giannones
filed a Consolidated Amended Complaint against the Alldredge
Defendants,1 the Greene Defendants,2 and fifteen John Does.  The
complaint includes twenty-three counts, including thirteen counts
against the Alldredge Defendants and eleven counts against the
Greene Defendants.3  The Giannones seek to recover from the
Alldredge Defendants for violations of the Racketeer Influenced
and Corrupt Organizations Act and for negligent child abuse,
fraud, fraudulent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty,
breach of contract, assault, battery, negligence, negligent
supervision, intentional infliction of emotional distress,
negligent infliction of emotional distress, and civil conspiracy.

ASR... Holy Poop!  It has a 125 page thread devoted entirely to it...
http://http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=2826&forum=9&1818

Summary here (thanks TSW)

Any other staff names you got?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Dr. Phil-   The circumstances you describe would not warrant sending a kid away.  Also, I don't believe there are thousands of parents wanting to find a placement for a struggling teen- I could be wrong, but that seems high.  I didn't look at the other two schools  we considered, so I can't say if I would have found them OK at the end of the day.  Carlbrook seemed to suit what we wanted- at least based on the initial visit and information we got.
I really think every kid's situation is different.  Many will agree to family counseling or good local therapy.  Some need a rehab program for substance abuse (short term).  I am not a psychologist, so I can't say, but I actually have only recommended Carlbrook to a few people-  those who had a pretty mild mannered kid who was in wilderness at the time and the family was looking for a TBS with pretty strong academics.

Psy- the staff is listed on the website.  I know the ones who were there three years ago, which includes all the principals.  One excellent senior staff person who was there is not there now- he got crosswise with the Boss.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
carlbrook
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 12:49:28 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to get involved in this thread after I've read it.
Don't forget Tim Brace.
Rma/CEDU incarnate.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 01:02:58 PM »
I don't know the topics.  I'll have to find that out.
Re: Tim Brace    Consensus seems to be that he was very mild at Carlbrook and not very confrontational-  more inclined to weep than to yell.

Want to mention that boys wore dress shirts and ties to class and girls wore nice pants or skirts.  Had the feel of a southern prep school.  Pretty campus with nice facilities and adding more.  I think there is a new dining hall now.  The portable buildings that were there won some kind of award for being so well done that they didn't look at all like portable buildings.  The main building looked like a plantation house.

Reading didn't appear to be censored. Everyone was into DaVinci Code at the time.  My kid read that and got into Ayn Rand and Shakespeare.

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 01:16:14 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
Dr. Phil-   The circumstances you describe would not warrant sending a kid away.  Also, I don't believe there are thousands of parents wanting to find a placement for a struggling teen- I could be wrong, but that seems high.  I didn't look at the other two schools  we considered, so I can't say if I would have found them OK at the end of the day.  Carlbrook seemed to suit what we wanted- at least based on the initial visit and information we got.
I really think every kid's situation is different.  Many will agree to family counseling or good local therapy.  Some need a rehab program for substance abuse (short term).  I am not a psychologist, so I can't say, but I actually have only recommended Carlbrook to a few people-  those who had a pretty mild mannered kid who was in wilderness at the time and the family was looking for a TBS with pretty strong academics.

Im just assuming that number since thousands of kids have passed through one program, wwasps, all by itself.. then if you added all the unregulated TBS and abusive regulated TBS together it would be a lot more places than we care to think. I am just wondering, if a huge group of people like that were looking for placement, what do you tell them. Because that is the reality of the situation right now. Anyways, you forgot to mention the price of the program, and if you dont mind how long is the average stay for a kid?
It\'s time to get real!?

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 01:27:10 PM »
Carlbrook cost $5000 a month at the time my son was there.  I think it has gone up.  The kids got computers after a couple of months (no internet). There was a "tech fee" that we paid for this. My son thought it was a crappy computer, but he has pretty high standards.
The program is 14-15 months.  There are graduations in March, May, August and December. (I think March is accurate)

I am not claiming to be an expert.  All I can report is my experience and what I can get out of my son.  I did have a lot more contact with the place than most parents- I can assure you of that.  I also have had a lot of contact with graduates and parents since then.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »
Re: Tim Brace Consensus seems to be that he was very mild at Carlbrook and not very confrontational- more inclined to weep than to yell.

I guess that consensus didn't bother to mention his predisposition for inviting boys up into his office privately for some more "intimate" smooshing? Nothing blatant or concrete enough to give a student adequate evidence for filing charges... just nice, no-boundaries, incredibly uncomfortable affection... in his office... with the door closed.

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
Are you serious?  Was he ever accused of that?  Any charges filed?

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 10:25:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
Are you serious?  Was he ever accused of that?  Any charges filed?

Of course not! Were any of the sexually predatory staff who worked at CEDU ever charged with anything?

Besides, it's soooo easy to blur the lines when you have all this disgusting forced affection going on. Sure, I may not fuck you, or cross any blatant line like grinding uglies, but maybe I'll take you aside and have a snuggle fest with you all to myself, where no one can see us.

Come ON Karen!

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 10:46:36 PM »
I can completely see that happening.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
Quote from: ""try another castle""
Re: Tim Brace Consensus seems to be that he was very mild at Carlbrook and not very confrontational- more inclined to weep than to yell.

I guess that consensus didn't bother to mention his predisposition for inviting boys up into his office privately for some more "intimate" smooshing? Nothing blatant or concrete enough to give a student adequate evidence for filing charges... just nice, no-boundaries, incredibly uncomfortable affection... in his office... with the door closed.

I definitely need to ask my brother about this dude.

Tim was already gone by the time your brother got there. Doug Kim-Brown was the headmaster then.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 12:02:45 AM »
Let's meet Tim Brace everybody:

Tim Brace, B.A., M.C. Dean of Students Mr. Brace has truly inspired a generation of students through his vision, innovation and educational leadership. During his distinguished career over the past 25 years, he has served as Headmaster or Executive Director at several secondary boarding schools, including Mt. Bachelor Academy in Oregon and the Academy at Swift River in Massachusetts. With a wealth of knowledge and experience in working with young people and their families that is virtually unmatched, Mr. Brace holds a Bachelor of Arts from the United States Naval Academy and a Master of Counseling from Arizona State University.
Oddly it does not mention that he worked at RMA for 13 years
Tim has been with the CEDU Schools for 13 years, serving as Headmaster both at CEDU and Rocky Mountain Academy in north Idaho.

SO.  RMA, ASR..

I'm starting to sense a pattern...  What was i saying about similar career paths?

He is also a board member of Natsap
" Tim Brace, Aspen Youth Services, California, 3-year term"

But TSW is right.  let's stick to the topic in hand.  ask your son what kinds of things were talked about in group.  were they personal?  were there confrontations?  how harsh was it?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 02:13:41 AM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 08:43:33 AM »
To TSW's Question-

I do not support Carlbrook or any teen help program with the exception of Second Nature, which I truly believe is an outstanding program with excellent ownership and staff. (I am open to learning otherwise)

I believe Carlbrook served a purpose for my son and our family. Much of this success was simply due to a fortuitous combination of factors unrelated to the therapeutic structure of Carlbrook.  At the time we were connected to the program (9 months) there were some problems related to the newness of the program and too much adherence to stuffing all the round pegs in the square holes.

I don't feel competent to recommend Carlbrook to anyone, since I am not a psychologist. I now am questioning the CEDU model and if the groups were conducted in this manner, there is a strong likelihood for abuse and coercion. This does not HAVE to be the case, but I simply don't know how good the current staff is at conducting proper group therapy.  

What bothered me the most?  Probably the lack of attention to individual needs and differences. Again-the round pegs thing. My son could have benefitted from some things (like being permitted to train for his sport) that could have completely made his experience different. This may seem like a minor thing, but if you understood his needs, which I hit them over the head with over and over, it was a big factor in his resistance there.  It is hard to strike a balance between valuing the parents input (after all, we are the ones who screwed up the raising of these kids in the first place) and holding to the line of "you gave us your kids, now trust us without interfering."