Author Topic: Legal to post pictures of former WWASP students on website?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Legal to post pictures of former WWASP students on website?
« on: January 15, 2007, 12:43:21 AM »
Anyone know if it's legal for me to post like 15 different pictures of me in my family while at Spring Creek Lodge, to antiwwasp.com? They were the kinds of pics that got taken after seminars, and once a month we had a family photo. I think the photos were just to let our parents know we were still alive being that we didn't talk to them much. There are usually about 20 of us in each shot. The Seminar graduation photos usually had less people.

I'm not sure where the ownership and copyrighting issues of the photo stop and ends?

I'm creating a new media section, i've collected about 30-40 pictures from facilities, the ones from tbfight with charles permission and a few more, can someone who has any legal experience tell me if this is worth it or not? I think it would be helpful in allowing former students to remember each others names, I was just looking over the pics and the names of many, many friends, and some people I hated, started coming back just like that. I could probably remember 75% of the names in the photos even after 6 years! Amazing what the human memory can do...

Please tell me your thoughts...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:40:25 AM »
The photographer has the copyright. See.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright and also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... yright_tag

further copies should be made with his permission only unless you mail the photos to a person in another country (Not me - our laws are stricter) and let him post them on a website outside the states. It would be a violation but it would also be very difficult to come after such a person.

Whether they were entitled to take the photos in the first place, I have to refer to the contract between your parents and the facility. If you parents have given permission to display you in a humiliating situation, the facility has the right to take a photo.

If you can prove damage to you as a person due to the photo being taken, you will have a case against those persons, which gave them the permission - your parents.

I hope this will help you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
The said photographer was usually scott hagerman (Tech guy who does all spring creek's design work, orvalle's son). So there's not much that would happen for me there. The pictures were either sent to parents only with permission or downloaded from spring creek's website, either way I think they're out of bounds... That's really too bad, these are pictures inside the cabins, out on the grounds.. all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help Covergaard, I also figured out that posting pictures of anyone under 13 taken at a school, public or private, can earn you a visit from the FBI these days.

If anyone knows of any other way to do this let me know.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »
Of course it's legal.

They're of you, aren't they?

Post them!
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »
Do it the way Charles did it on TBfight. Black out everybody's faces but your own.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:22:53 AM »
Yeah but thats kinda the point, to show the faces and all.. I checked over the contract my parents signed and all the waivers and such and it doesn't actually state anywhere in this said contract about the use of the photos. My parents signed an authorization form. It goes like this.

"We authorize the Program to photograph the students for identification photographs for their files.

We further authorize the Program to photograph the students in order to provide informational updates for the parents and photos to be placed on Program Web-Sites accessible to all Program parents for the purpose of Program and Progress Updates."

No disclaimer, nothing stated before or after in the contract about copyright information. All I have to go on is my mother's brief recollection about possibly having to sign a seperate form to not distribute the said photos.

I don't know where to check on those laws TSW.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
Oh good Lord.

Send them to me, I'll post them.
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:32:38 PM »
At the very least, you should get a disclaimer from the other persons featured in these photos you want to publish on your website.  These kids may not have had any rights while incarcerated by their parents in a  WWASPS facility but they do now.  I assume you have thought of this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 12:56:28 PM »
Looks like Kev's got himself a friend.  :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:19:24 PM »
Kev, rather than worry about the legal ramifications of posting former inmates pictures, you really should be more concerned about the potential to hurt kids by referring them to a program that is abusive.  You are playing a game of Russian Roulette with the lives of kids not much younger than yourself.  Do you honestly think you are immune to any legal consequences for referring kids to abusive facilities?  If so, I suggest you read the TURLEY lawsuit and take note of who is being sued.  It aint' just the programs and owners.  There are a couple of referral services named as well.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Kev, rather than worry about the legal ramifications of posting former inmates pictures, you really should be more concerned about the potential to hurt kids by referring them to a program that is abusive.  You are playing a game of Russian Roulette with the lives of kids not much younger than yourself.  Do you honestly think you are immune to any legal consequences for referring kids to abusive facilities?  If so, I suggest you read the TURLEY lawsuit and take note of who is being sued.  It aint' just the programs and owners.  There are a couple of referral services named as well.

http://www.wturley.com/recent_filings.htm

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
Yeah anti, parents do need an alternative but any program under current law is unacceptable. I would suggest that you look into more traditional therapies to offer as alternatives and push patience in opposition to desperation...

Sorry for the ot rant, anyway about the pictures....
Ask yourself if they are essential to the cause, basically are they worth getting sued over. I doubt wwasps would have a case but you will certainly run out of money before they do, and we all know thats the point of most suites... I would talk to a lawyer, perhaps call some District Attorneys and US attorneys offices. You may have to call quiet a few of them before you reach one who'll take the time to speak with you, but it's worth it....

ok thats my 2
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Legal to post pictures of former WWASP students on websi
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:32:52 PM »
Quote from: ""antiwwasp.com""
Anyone know if it's legal for me to post like 15 different pictures of me in my family while at Spring Creek Lodge, to antiwwasp.com? They were the kinds of pics that got taken after seminars, and once a month we had a family photo. I think the photos were just to let our parents know we were still alive being that we didn't talk to them much. There are usually about 20 of us in each shot. The Seminar graduation photos usually had less people.

I'm not sure where the ownership and copyrighting issues of the photo stop and ends?

I'm creating a new media section, i've collected about 30-40 pictures from facilities, the ones from tbfight with charles permission and a few more, can someone who has any legal experience tell me if this is worth it or not? I think it would be helpful in allowing former students to remember each others names, I was just looking over the pics and the names of many, many friends, and some people I hated, started coming back just like that. I could probably remember 75% of the names in the photos even after 6 years! Amazing what the human memory can do...

Please tell me your thoughts...

Did you take the photos?  Then yes.  If not...  Do it anyway, and if they throw a fit, take them down (by then people will have mirrored the photos, i promise that).  Make sure you post a link to them on Fornits when you post em.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
SPRING CREEK PICTUERS
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
You should defiantely post the pics. There's a lot of people I have wanted to get in touch with over the years but can no longer remember alot of names. Seeing pics would probably help jog my memory. Also, if anyone happens to read this who was at scl in 2000 hit me up, we probably know each other.