Author Topic: Breaking my heart  (Read 22755 times)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »
He graduated from Carlbrook and did a PG year at a prep school and is now in college.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Breaking my heart
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
He graduated from Carlbrook and did a PG year at a prep school and is now in college.

That figures.

Ok.  so you say you would never approve of a CEDU program... but Carlbrook...  was a CEDU clone... with all the trimmings from everything you have described.  There is nothing you have said to indicate otherwise... and you're son's descriptions of things seem to match pretty well.

I suggest you ask him what kinds of things were talked about in group... whether personal subjects were made public.  whether kids were attacked in group...
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2007, 10:43:54 PM »
Anne- my son didn't finish the program and only went through 2 workshops, so maybe he was less affected because of that.  

Deb-  It was a long time ago that I was told that about you and your son.  I defended HLA while I was getting information that everything was fine there. When I found out the truth, I stopped defending it.  I am willing to admit I was wrong.  I have no connection to HLA or anyone there.  I knew two families with kids there, but they are long gone.
I am interested in the class action suit.  I hope the parents prevail.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »
Therapy is not public humiliation and I don't condone public humiliation.

THAT'S WHAT LGATS/RAPS/PROPHEETS/SEMINARS ARE!!!!!  THAT'S HOW THEY "WORK"

::bangin::  ::bangin::  ::bangin::  ::bangin::  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2007, 10:46:17 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Therapy is not public humiliation and I don't condone public humiliation.

well... i would argue that the raps are more the type of thing seen on the beginning of the tape (again... nothing compared to a real program)... and the "dig up childhood fears and trauma" shit is the workshops..... and the real deep disclosures..
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2007, 10:46:25 PM »
At the time we chose this program, as TSW said, there was limited information.  It was a very new program. It was supposedly a different model- that is what we were told when we visited the school.  I still don't know if it closely followed the CEDU model- they claimed to have changed it.  I'm still learning about all this.  

TSW- I went over all the things my son said about his program on the other thread.

Offline Charly

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2007, 10:47:49 PM »
I don't know what that means.  I guess I don't know when I'm trolling and when I'm not! :D

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2007, 10:48:56 PM »
At the time we chose this program, as TSW said, there was limited information.  It was a very new program. It was supposedly a different model- that is what we were told when we visited the school.  I still don't know if it closely followed the CEDU model- they claimed to have changed it.  I'm still learning about all this.  

TSW- I went over all the things my son said about his program on the other thread.

Then why do you incensantly defend it?  Why do you keep insisting to us that we don't know what we're talking about and how "different" your TBS was?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2007, 10:49:33 PM »
Anne- my son didn't finish the program and only went through 2 workshops, so maybe he was less affected because of that.  

Deb-  It was a long time ago that I was told that about you and your son.  I defended HLA while I was getting information that everything was fine there. When I found out the truth, I stopped defending it.  I am willing to admit I was wrong.  I have no connection to HLA or anyone there.  I knew two families with kids there, but they are long gone.

The ones who get mindfucked the worst are the kids who go in looking for help, and take it all seriously. They are the ones who come out singing the praises of the program, and evangelize their program after getting out. Ironic, isn't it, that the kids who are looking for help, or have serious issues are getting fed crap, as far as effectiveness of applying the situation to the outside world. Its the kids who reject the program, strong headed, stubborn , that will come out with a clearer picture. So if anyone is going to complain in the future I think it would be the kids who are the crazed program fanatics when the first get out. There were some 13-14 year olds in a program with me, hadnt even smoked a ciggarette before. They became enraged program robots. I fought the program and suffered restraints and physical coercion. But I think there's is going to be longer lasting in the effects. At least mine was somewhat honest, but they actually trusted those people and bought into the bullshit.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2007, 10:52:36 PM »
karen isn't trolling.  she's just insensitive to what we went through.  she will listen...  just try to be sensitive to her as well.  this is not a Kids vs parents + program.... it's kids + parents vs program...

at least that's what it can be.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Guest- I believe there is much abuse at many programs.  I'm just not sure if it is ALL programs.  They aren't all the same.  I wouldn't even consider (at the time) HLA or any CEDU or WWASP program (or any off-shore program) for my son. I had a list of 3 programs I would consider and I chose one.  I don't think it is right for everyone and I don't know what changes have occured since my son was there.

Karen, Karen, Karen.... it wasn't but a few short months ago you were in the HLA forum defending them like the attorney you are. I spose to save face, you had to change your tune when the lawsuit was filed. Or, at what point did you actually change your mind?

hMMM...

Offline Charly

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »
Anne-  Based on what I know right now, I don't see that Carlbrook was like Straight.  I just don't see it now.  I am open to hearing from more kids about it.  I DO believe the wilderness program was effective-but I don't want to re-argue that here.

Guest- you are right.  The strong-willed kids seem to do better.  My son didn't buy into one bit of the program.  He sure understood what got him there, though.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2007, 10:53:45 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""

Then why do you incensantly defend it?  Why do you keep insisting to us that we don't know what we're talking about and how "different" your TBS was?

Because they told her bullshit... just like b-mark told my parents bullshit.  Do you think the tell parents what goes on inside...

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2007, 10:54:32 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

The ones who get mindfucked the worst are the kids who go in looking for help, and take it all seriously. They are the ones who come out singing the praises of the program, and evangelize their program after getting out. Ironic, isn't it, that the kids who are looking for help, or have serious issues are getting fed crap, as far as effectiveness of applying the situation to the outside world. Its the kids who reject the program, strong headed, stubborn , that will come out with a clearer picture. So if anyone is going to complain in the future I think it would be the kids who are the crazed program fanatics when the first get out. There were some 13-14 year olds in a program with me, hadnt even smoked a ciggarette before. They became enraged program robots. I fought the program and suffered restraints and physical coercion. But I think there's is going to be longer lasting in the effects. At least mine was somewhat honest, but they actually trusted those people and bought into the bullshit.

//bump\

Offline Charly

• View Profile
Breaking my heart
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2007, 10:54:47 PM »
TSW-  Obviously, I don't know how to use a proxy.  I wish I did.
I haven't used a fake ID on here in ages.  I don't even post as a Guest except when I get logged out.  I can't read the code things!