Author Topic: One thing I like about program parents...  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One thing I like about program parents...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 02:34:29 AM »
Me again, with the mum.

It's tough, cuz I have a younger sister, significantly younger enough to not really have known/understood what was going on when I was going through it, and she is of the personality to totally fit in and go with the program, so my parents never had a "problem" with her (so she never was sent away to one of these mindrape mills).  I think my sister and my mum are of the mind that I am but one hopeless mess, to be tolerated for the sake of the one heir to the family name (my son), but hopeless nonetheless.  No, I can't talk to my sister about this.  She has a successful career as an assistant professor at a prestigous university, and has never been very sympathetic to me, even as a child.  My dad, who was a good and well-meaning sort, passed away several years ago.

At some point I finally got to the point where I have almost pretty much forgiven my mum.  Life is too short, and she is in her 70's.  I would never ever treat my son the way she treated me (corporal punishment, etc.), and I would never ever put him through what I went through in my teenage years.  But then, I have always identified more with the underdog and the nonconformist, even as a youngster.  Perhaps it is this important truth that I must pass on, to maintain an open and critical mind and independent spirit, that would not reach my son save through me and what I have experienced, and perhaps that will make it more liveable for me...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
One thing I like about program parents...
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 04:13:17 AM »
Quote from: ""psy""
It's very very rare for parents to come around... hanzo is right.  My mom just figured it out yesterday WOO HOO!!!!!!!!  It's been 5 years already...

Sadly.  That is very very rare.
Good news... :wink:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »