Author Topic: "Boy's home" Jacksonville, FL  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
"Boy's home" Jacksonville, FL
« on: January 26, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
http://www.boyshome.com/

I heard about this on the radio, they were asking for donations... so I figured I would check in on it.

Other than the annoying music AT FIRST it seemed pretty benign, but then when I checked a bit more @ http://www.boyshome.com/HTML/program_dx_2004.htm ...

Well, look for yourself.

Program Description

At-risk boys, ages fifteen to seventeen may be eligible to participate in our program. The required minimum stay is one year. Boys are admitted into our program for a number of reasons including:

* failing grades and/or truancy

* substance use, those with diagnosed substance abuse must attend a rehab program before being admitted

* manipulative & secretive behavior

* poor choice of friends

*defiance, disrespect or violence toward parent(s) - this is different from normal developmental 'conflict' with parents

*emotional difficulty handling the loss of a parent

*for parents who believe they need a "secure" program or facility for their son, Safe Harbor may be able to meet this need

*parents who prefer to work with a private program and whose child has legal problems will find Safe Harbor is able to work with most Juvenile or Family Courts to obtain a placement from the court

A MINIMUM TERM of one year is required for placement at Safe Harbor. The boys must progress through the level system in order to be recommended to go home. The long term commitment by parents enables each boy to progress, make mistakes, learn from them, and show themselves, the staff, and their parents the consistency over time required for lasting change.

This is an interdenominational Christ centered program. The staff are dedicated Christian individuals who care for each boy in the program. Boys from different religious backgrounds or those from no religious influence are accepted and no child is required to convert to have success in the program. However, parents or guardians of the residents MUST understand our viewpoint that being a Christ centered ministry is the reason we believe success comes to the boys at Safe Harbor.  Most parents would be delighted to "have their son back" and are happy to have them exposed to a spiritual influence.

The Safe Harbor program is structured and centers on teaching a work ethic and helping the boys understand their behavior is leading them into less and less freedom.. We develop positive character traits by exposing the boys to many vocational education opportunities including carpentry, welding, boat maintenance & repair, gas and diesel engine repair, and some basic electrical concepts. Character traits such as dependability, follow through, focus and attention to detail, are taught in these courses. Every class at Safe Harbor is entitled "work" to expose these boys to the world of employment, where the majority are headed within twenty four months.

Counseling is offered individually and through groups by both licensed mental health professionals, and pastoral counseling.  All staff are involved in mentoring during time spent with the boys. These informal settings help the boys relax, begin to trust adults, and learn life lessons not acquired elsewhere. Most boys entering the program have had outpatient counseling and if these sessions had been successful parents would not be seeking the type of help we offer.

Professional staff conducts individual sessions with families and their sons, conversations over the phone, and sends frequent email to keep parents updated. Additionally, short weekly phone calls along with encouraged letter writing helps restore family relationships. Once placed into residential care, the boy's family suddenly becomes very important again.

Lasting change takes time, and the process and timing for each boy is unique. Parents must take a long term view of the process that develops change. The bad attitudes and habits the boys have upon entering the program did not occur overnight and they will only change over time.

If parents are not committed to having their son work through the level system and to the point where they are recommended to return home, we prefer they not send them to Safe Harbor.

Smells fishy, and I don't mean the catch of the day. You thinkin what I'm thinkin?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »

debil is pleased

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 08:32:18 AM »
Most parents would be delighted to "have their son back" and are happy to have them exposed to a spiritual influence.

This is one of the biggest lies of the industry.  And  quite frankly, one that sucked me in hook, line and sinker.

What parent doesn't want to recapture that time of innocence before things started going south?  But, I now realize that this is a normal part of adolescence.  Yes even a necessary part of adolescence.  To become autonomous.  To become one's own person.  

I am blessed to have my daughter back.  But, I had to adjust to who she was, and stop trying to make her be who I wanted her to be.

I also have serious issue with programs that put a minimum required stay as a stipulation.  We were fortunate in that regard.  We paid by the month and when we decided it was time to pull the plug, we pulled the plug.

The more I learn the more I am anti-program.

While I don't always agree with some of the methods of getting this message out ... I do believe the message is important.

Keep up the good work.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 08:35:24 AM »

The more I learn the more I am anti-program.

Now all we have to do is get parents to research this stuff BEFORE they place their kid in some hell hole.

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:51:41 AM »
I felt I did my research.  And yet I never stumbled onto Fornits until my daughter had been gone almost a year.  Someone from Fornits sent me a private message on the ST forum.  A very effective strategy I might add.

I appreciate psy and some of the other Fornit regulars who have tried to have civil discourse on ST.  I do believe parents are listening.

There will always be those idiot parents who don't want to know the truth.  Who are glad to have their trouble kids out from under their roofs.  I remember one such family from a family retreat weekend.  They just didn't want to deal with their daughter's day to day drama.  It interrupted their happy family facade and trips to the country club.  It made me sick.  They kept her there until they could ship her off to college ... and further keep her out of their home.  It was sad.  Their relationship will probably never mend.

Sorry I digress.

As I was thinking how we came to place our daughter, one of the biggest components was her therapist recommending a placement.  A good guy really.  He had been to a "trade show".  Apparently these programs always have reps at these therapeutic trade shows.  Not sure how Fornits could get in to such "shows" .... but it might be worth consideration.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
Google works just fine, for those willing to use it. If I did what program parents did, I wouldn't want to take responsibility either.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
Quote from: ""TS Waygookin""
Most program parents don't want to believe no matter what you tell them in any way shape or form.

Fixed that.

For them we have selective removal from the gene pool.

One of three things will happen.
1. Kid kills themselves of shame and pain of growing up in said family
2. Kid grows up so horrified with their own family they never have kids
3. Kid grows up and tells his kids their grandparents are dead

Whatever happens, the sick diseased ideology of program parents tends to get left behind. Unless the brainwashing was successful, then the disease spreads and infects many others, regretfully.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
Kill em all.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 06:44:15 PM »
So yeah, how do we crack the nut that is something thats been on talk shows, tyte with the local authorities, and thinks jesus approves everything... despite the biblical one who would probably smash their program up just like a money changer's storefront  :roll:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
So yeah, how do we crack the nut that is something thats been on talk shows, tyte with the local authorities, and thinks jesus approves everything... despite the biblical one who would probably smash their program up just like a money changer's storefront  :roll:

I aggree.  If the Christians are right, and Jesus comes back... He is going to be PISSED.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 10:00:36 PM »
A 'rican jesus?  :o

The writers of the texts that some people in nicea made the bible didn't know any land existed past the atlantic... much less Puerto Rico.

:rofl:

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »
Quote from: ""AtomicAnt""
Didn't you know? Jesus is back...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16840066/site/newsweek/

Anybody got any nails?
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »
Quote from: ""tfa""
Then one night in 1973, he says, he awoke to a vision of two hulking men at his bedside who announced the arrival of the Lord, who, says de Jesus, "came to me and integrated with me."

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: