Author Topic: "Dr." Virgil Miller Newton III loses again  (Read 2321 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
"Dr." Virgil Miller Newton III loses again
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
From NJ.com:

Settlement reached in KIDS abuse case
Thursday, January 25, 2007
By ALI WINSTON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A settlement has been reached in the civil suit against the former directors of KIDS of North Jersey, a now-defunct drug treatment center in Secaucus, brought by Antonio Carrera, 26, a former patient.

The agreement was reached before Carrera was to take the stand, but Superior Court Judge Maurice Gallipoli agreed to allow him testify about his five years at KIDS.

The agreement, which involves an undisclosed sum of money, is the latest in a string of multimillion-dollar settlements that Dr. Virgil Miller Newton III, the former director of KIDS, and his wife, Ruth Ann Newton, a former assistant director, have paid out to former patients. Rebecca Erlich won $4.5 million in a 2000 suit and Lulu Corter settled for $6.5 million in 2003.

Newton, who ran drug rehab centers from North Jersey to California throughout the 1980s and 1990s, has been heavily criticized for his methods and has been repeatedly accused of physically abusing, brainwashing and falsely imprisoning his patients.

Carrera claims he was misdiagnosed as having drug and alcohol problems - a former staffer at the facility admitted on the stand that he had badgered Carrera during his intake interview into admitting that he'd used them - and spent five years at the facility, leaving only when he turned 18. During that time, he was prevented from going to high school and lived with a foster family.

During most of his stay at KIDS, Carrera was stuck between the first two stages of the five-stage program, often restricted for months from speaking unless spoken to and forced to ask permission for every action.

When Carrera refused to participate in sessions and other activities or was otherwise deemed "uncooperative," other patients would pin him to the ground, sometimes for several hours.

"I just had to lay there and stare at the ceilings. Sometimes I used to wish that I was dead," Carrera said, before seizing up and holding his face in his hands.

After getting out of KIDS when he turned 18, Carrera obtained his GED within months and now works as a driver at a Meadowlands hotel.

He had scathing words for Newton: "I don't know if he is in his sick head, he thinks he helped people out. He conned everybody."

The Newtons left the courtroom before Judge Gallipoli's closing remarks. Stephen Ryan, their attorney, declined to comment.

The various facilities Newton opened around the country are now closed, but Phil Elberg, Carrera's attorney, said similar programs still exist.

"In reality, they're private jails in which con artists prey on the fears of frightened parents," he said.

Well said, Phil.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:15:24 PM »
Looks like Miller had his junk touched liberally.

Current programmies: This is your inevitable fate.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""
Looks like Miller had his junk touched liberally.

Current programmies: This is your inevitable fate.

Junk touched liberally, removed, and handed to him.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 12:29:39 PM »
I'll have to go do a happy dance in front of this house later on.  

Sadistic prick.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 01:39:48 PM »
and chalk up another win to Phil
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:14:59 PM »
Maybe P.E. will go after PV.  Wish I lived in Jersey.  No, what am I saying?

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »
Pay attention, program freaks - that which you value most, your money, could be stripped away from you for being assholes.

Drug center ex-patient accepts $3M

By ALI WINSTON

The Jersey Journal

January 30, 2007

A former patient at a defunct drug treatment center in Secaucus has agreed to a $3 million settlement with the center's former owners, the former patient's attorney said.

Antonio Carrera was a patient at KIDS of North Jersey for five years undergoing treatment for drug and alcohol addictions - addictions he said he did not have. He said administrators there refused to allow him to attend school and used other patients to physically abuse him when he refused to attend treatment sessions. He agreed to the settlement during a civil suit he filed against the center's owners, Virgil Newton Miller III and his wife, Ruth Ann Newton.

Before the trial began, Carrera - now 26 and living in Clifton - agreed to a $750,000 settlement with Dr. Zisalo Wancier, a psychiatrist at the center, said Carrera's attorney, Phil Elberg.

The settlement with the Newtons was reached Wednesday, but the amount of the settlement wasn't released until Friday.

Although the settlement ended Carrera's suit, state Superior Court Judge Maurice Gallipoli allowed Carrera to testify about his time at the center. He claimed staff members there forced him to make up stories about being addicted to drugs and alcohol, sexually assaulting his siblings and possessing weapons. He was finally allowed to leave the center when he turned 18.

Elberg said Carrera's settlement brings the total of money recouped from the Newtons by former patients to more than $15 million.

"This has to do with the Newtons taking advantage of people, of preying on parents who are concerned for their children," Elberg said.