Author Topic: From One Cult To Another...  (Read 31424 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
From One Cult To Another...
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
 http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?id=206779
Pavel Mikoloski
Marketing Guru
Self
London
UK
UK       

Ecademy ID: 206779
3rd Symposium 2006
« Getting It Out There
What is the secret[/color] behind a low budget "pseudo" documentary feature that made over $10 million at the box office? In the US it sold out small theatres for months and was then launched into 60 theatres by Samuel Goldwyn Films. It has created an overwhelming buzz on the internet (not all positive). So what was the marketing genius behind getting "What the Bleep Do We Know" out there? Marketing director Pavel Mikoloski will explain how it was done from the ground up.
For some reason, the above came immediately to my mind when I read this in the Fall 2004 Alumni Newsletter:

=============================

SHARE THE SECRET[/color][/b]
Recently, Laurie Hurd and Duncan McCrann announced the launch of a major campaign to increase  awareness about Hyde. The help of alumni in the form of  time, energy, enthusiasm, and creative thinking is needed.  Simply put, it's a new world for Hyde and other New England  boarding schools. The recent proliferation of new educational options for students and families has created a challenge for boarding school admissions,  a challenge that we at Hyde are eager to face with your help.

As alumni, you don't have to be sold on the impact of Hyde on families. There is little doubt that if more families knew about Hyde, they would pursue enrollment. In some ways, Hyde is the best-kept secret in American education! It is where hope is restored and potential is realized.

This fact led to a new campaign that will "ignite" conversation and interest about Hyde, a venture where everyone connected to Hyde is passing along the Hyde "secret" to people they meet everyday—school counselor, minister, friend, therapist, colleague—to ultimately transform the mystery into knowledge.

In the coming months, you will hear more about Share the Secret. By working together to spread the word about Hyde we will reach families that could benefit from what our schools offer, and have some fun in the process. Please contact Laurie Hurd at 207-443-7105, [email protected], to pass along any campaign development ideas.

Apparently at least one person took that "campaign" to heart.  From urban dictionary's definition of "hyde":

9.   Hyde   
Thumbsup   29 up, 67 down   Thumbsdown

The best kept secret in American education.
Pssssst.....What's the best kept secret in American education.
by Jay Brizzle Jan 26, 2005 email it

Are you saying Pavel M has something to do with this "Hyde is the best-kept secret in American education!" campaign?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Are you saying Pavel M has something to do with this "Hyde is the best-kept secret in American education!" campaign?

I honestly don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn of some preparatory conversations of that ilk.

Although "secret" and "mystery" appear to be buzz words amongst the newage cults these days, what twigged a certain recognition for me was the call for publicity from a grassroots swelling of support.  The exhortations sound very similar to the way "What the Bleep?" supporters were rallied to arms.  Whether this Hyde "campaign" is, in fact, partially or exclusively Paul's handiwork... I haven't a clue.

One thing is for sure:  it certainly doesn't sound like the methodology of a mainstream Public Relations firm, ha haa!  If it actually worked, they'd be losing money!  Not to mention the... er... grammatical finesse employed in the notice. :lol:
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
Quote from: ""Joey Shakes -Moitoza""
Hey whats the best kept secret in education? HYDE my good friend. So i have dropped 80 g's joey will you tell me yet? No not until you donate your life's earnings to fairshare... (fairshare is the group of people who collect your money if you dont donate they guilt trip you to hell.) 80k and Joey cant even enlighten me on his secret....

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=189237#189237

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Joey Shakes -Moitoza""
Hey whats the best kept secret in education? HYDE my good friend. So i have dropped 80 g's joey will you tell me yet? No not until you donate your life's earnings to fairshare... (fairshare is the group of people who collect your money if you dont donate they guilt trip you to hell.) 80k and Joey cant even enlighten me on his secret....

That may in fact be hyde's best kept secret.  IIRC the way "Fair Share" is pitched to parents, it could be conspiracy to defraud the IRS. The pitch went something like: your tuition is not enough to cover real costs so you have to donate in addition.  We do this because you can then declare a donation to a 501 on your taxes.  Sounds like conspiracy to defraud to me but IANAL.  That was how they got Capone.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: From One Cult To Another...
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "Guest"
Quote from: "Joey Shakes -Moitoza"

That may in fact be hyde's best kept secret. IIRC the way "Fair Share" is pitched to parents, it could be conspiracy to defraud the IRS. The pitch went something like: your tuition is not enough to cover real costs so you have to donate in addition. We do this because you can then declare a donation to a 501 on your taxes. Sounds like conspiracy to defraud to me but IANAL. That was how they got Capone.

"If you dont donate they guilt trip you to hell" is how I recall it as well. I got the distinct feeling that my "generosity" would somehow reflect on my child's education, though I wasn't sure how. I'm sure it influenced the other parents in our region, however.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: From One Cult To Another...
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2008, 12:04:04 AM »
OOOooo "the best kept secret" --more marketing BS! Trying to capitalize on "The Secret" no doubt. But hey, Oprah loves it, so it must be legit, right?

Kiss my big royal butt, mo fo's.