Author Topic: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School  (Read 48309 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Quote from: ""Guest""
We used to have meetings on the stairs (early/mid 70's).  Joe would stand somewhere between the library (still? anyway, the room with the huge oak table which I am sure can not be removed) and that front room which was opposite the headmaster's office.  He basically stood in what was an entry hallway.  In front of him was open area, leading to the dining room (the kitchen was still at the mansion).  On either side of this open area were the stairs leading up on either side to the 2nd floor.  Students would amass in the open area and sitting on the stairs.

BTW, I do believe I saw Cool Hand Luke here in this open space.  Maybe that was the summer.

Either my 2nd or 3rd year, enough progress had been made on the Student Union and school meetings (as well as dining arrangements) moved down there.

Hey,

If you think that oak table is still there, you were gone by '75.  Phil and his buddy lit a fire under the table in summer school '75.  
I met Phil B.  I knew he was crazy.  I don't know how the Hyde staff missed it.  I was told that they screen now. I have also been told that that is a lie.  I hear Hyde is admitting bi-polar kids and weening them off their meds.  They are damn lucky it has been 30+ years since some one has seriously endangered the other students.

Emil
Oh, but I do remember the fire.  For some reason, I thought the oak table survived it.  Guess not.

You have got me wondering.  I assumed it was gone.  The fire involved that whole part of the mansion and Phil set the fire directly under the table.  The mansion was still being used as a dorm at that point.   It was luck that no one was killed.

Emil
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »
  Hey,

If you think that oak table is still there, you were gone by '75.  Phil and his buddy lit a fire under the table in summer school '75.  
I met Phil B.  I knew he was crazy.  I don't know how the Hyde staff missed it.  I was told that they screen now. I have also been told that that is a lie.  I hear Hyde is admitting bi-polar kids and weening them off their meds.  They are damn lucky it has been 30+ years since some one has seriously endangered the other students.

Emil
Oh, but I do remember the fire.  For some reason, I thought the oak table survived it.  Guess not.

You have got me wondering.  I assumed it was gone.  The fire involved that whole part of the mansion and Phil set the fire directly under the table.  The mansion was still being used as a dorm at that point.   It was luck that no one was killed.

Emil

It was very very thick oak.  It would all depend on when the fire was caught (how long it had a chance to burn).  Oak, despite being somewhat porous, is very very dense...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2007, 11:57:15 AM »
Mike and Emil, would you be willing to talk to a major network about your experiences at Hyde?  I have a Producer who is interested but needs former students and parents to interview.  I understand if you are not comfortable with this, but just thought I would give it a shot.

In principle I am interested. However, I am shy of interviews and cameras, and am more comfortable submitting written answers. I reside in Jerusalem, which may also be prohibitive. Most of all, I am concerned about Hyde's legal reaction.

Mike

Interesting that you reside in Jerusalem.  There is another girl who went to Hyde who has positive things to say about it.  She is one of the ones I had contacted before my parents sent me to Hyde to ask how she liked it.  Boy was she off base or maybe just brainwashed.
[/quote]

You must mean Judy Liberson, who is living in Israel and is pro-Hyde. Well, you know the old saying: if you put two Jews together in a room, you'll end up with three different opinions.

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »
Mike and Emil, would you be willing to talk to a major network about your experiences at Hyde? I have a Producer who is interested but needs former students and parents to interview. I understand if you are not comfortable with this, but just thought I would give it a shot.
---

I'm not sure if you've read any of my posts, but I'm both a former parent and a journalist who has written about his experiences at Hyde.  My report, THE JEKYLL SIDE OF HYDE is on the ISAC site.
I can e-mail it to you if you'd prefer.

www.garyeskow.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »
Mike and Emil, would you be willing to talk to a major network about your experiences at Hyde? I have a Producer who is interested but needs former students and parents to interview. I understand if you are not comfortable with this, but just thought I would give it a shot.
---

I'm not sure if you've read any of my posts, but I'm both a former parent and a journalist who has written about his experiences at Hyde.  My report, THE JEKYLL SIDE OF HYDE is on the ISAC site.

www.garyeskow.com

I serve of a couple of public boards, the board of a local non-profit and I do professional work related to national defense.   I don't think having my name associated with Hyde would really do me much good professional.  Sorry that is selfish I know.  If you have questions that I could answer anonymously I will consider being interviewed.  I have made the mistake of telling people that I went to Hyde and it has already cost me.  I am not willing to tell the world, unless I hit the lottery this week, If I do I will do a  full face interview live without edits.. :-)

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
---

www.garyeskow.com

I serve of a couple of public boards, the board of a local non-profit and I do professional work related to national defense.   I don't think having my name associated with Hyde would really do me much good professional.  Sorry that is selfish I know.  If you have questions that I could answer anonymously I will consider being interviewed.  I have made the mistake of telling people that I went to Hyde and it has already cost me.  I am not willing to tell the world, unless I hit the lottery this week, If I do I will do a  full face interview live without edits.. :-)

Emil

Emil, I am a former Hyde parent and I don't think you are selfish at all.  I completely understand why you need to stay under the radar. I feel the same way.  Not only is it bad for us professionally, but I feel completely ashamed to be associated with this school and would not want to come forward publicly.  It would be like publicly admitting you have been in AA or being associated with Jim Jones or another Cult.

Hyde knows the position we all are in and this is where they have the upper hand.  You are forced to pour your heart and soul out when trying to help your kids, but when you realize you don't want any part of this cult it is too late.  Too much personal information has been divulged at this point and you are screwed.  I am sure this is why most parents who hate Hyde School keep silent and try to forget they were ever associated with the place.

I dont believe Hyde School is successful in Character Development, but they are successful in making TONS of money off of parents who have been sucked in.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2007, 04:42:15 PM »
I serve of a couple of public boards, the board of a local non-profit and I do professional work related to national defense. I don't think having my name associated with Hyde would really do me much good professional. Sorry that is selfish I know. If you have questions that I could answer anonymously I will consider being interviewed. I have made the mistake of telling people that I went to Hyde and it has already cost me. I am not willing to tell the world, unless I hit the lottery this week, If I do I will do a full face interview live without edits..  

Emil

----
I hear you.  Things are moving ahead on this piece.  Will get back to you.  Would appreciate your thoughts- will provide anonymity.  Now looking to pick up as much of Joe Gauld's writings as possible, including those out of print. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.  There is something on one of the Fornits' sites that claims Joe made racially biased comments, and maybe even wrote things that would indicate he held strong racial views.  If this is true and anyone knows where this stuff- and anything that shows Joe and the school in a positive light- is to be had, let me know.

GE

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2007, 04:42:41 PM »
I serve of a couple of public boards, the board of a local non-profit and I do professional work related to national defense. I don't think having my name associated with Hyde would really do me much good professional. Sorry that is selfish I know. If you have questions that I could answer anonymously I will consider being interviewed. I have made the mistake of telling people that I went to Hyde and it has already cost me. I am not willing to tell the world, unless I hit the lottery this week, If I do I will do a full face interview live without edits..  

Emil

----
I hear you.  Things are moving ahead on this piece.  Will get back to you.  Would appreciate your thoughts- will provide anonymity.  Now looking to pick up as much of Joe Gauld's writings as possible, including those out of print. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.  There is something on one of the Fornits' sites that claims Joe made racially biased comments, and maybe even wrote things that would indicate he held strong racial views.  If this is true and anyone knows where this stuff- and anything that shows Joe and the school in a positive light- is to be had, let me know.

GE

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »

Emil

----

GE

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2007, 04:44:27 PM »

Emil

----

GE

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2007, 11:47:21 PM »
There is that piece that Joe wrote re. appropriateness of Hyde for your kid that is on ISAC, but you probably know about that one already.  Then there is HIS BOOK.  And I think you may be able to get some things from the school website, but not so sure about that.  Mostly it is his offspring that hold counsel there...

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2007, 09:26:51 AM »
There is that piece that Joe wrote re. appropriateness of Hyde for your kid that is on ISAC, but you probably know about that one already. Then there is HIS BOOK. And I think you may be able to get some things from the school website, but not so sure about that. Mostly it is his offspring that hold counsel there...

Does anyone have a copy of The Blue Book?  Isn't that what this text was called?

GE

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »
Apparently he wrote 2 books.  Here is a link to a search on FetchBook:

http://www.fetchbook.info/search_Joseph ... uthor.html

If you click on 'compare prices' for each book entry, you will get available sources (for that book) current at that moment.  FetchBook is the best search engine for used books that I know of (although I am always open to new contenders!   :D ).

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2007, 09:52:30 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2007, 10:01:11 AM »
Sorry, I meant to also suggest checking eBay directly, even though it is included in FetchBook's arsenal.  There is such a huge amount of listings going on eBay at any given hour, it may be that Fetch is a shade behind.  EBay's nonauction affiliate Half.com is also in Fetch's arsenal and should be up to date, as listings are slower.

I am sorry I do not have either of these texts.  Obtaining them used might be the easiest solution.  

Check also Amazon.com for reviews, or do a google for same, as his books may also have been reviewed elsewhere.  The reviews might even have some quotes from the text(s).