Author Topic: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School  (Read 48305 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2007, 01:34:06 PM »
Interesting post off of another website by a former student of Hyde.

I enjoyed the sports, I did my fucking homework.
But no, I still got to rake leaves, shovel snow, deal with bitches who belong in the loony bin.
Your beliefs, opinions, look on life will change; you will be silenced if you disagree with how they run shit.
They got this pompous old fuck to get up on stage, picked a random black student out of the crowd of the school, he then waddled his way into his head like a pseudo psychic (my example was John Edwards), he figures out the kid is adopted. Then he goes on asking rhetorical questions like: ?Do you feel unloved?? then started smearing it in his face like: YOU ARE NOT LOVED! The kid was fucking crying, I wanted to bust his knee caps that whole day, and sure I fought the system, but the workouts and labor got the best of me because it was just to hard to keep fighting the was they handle people.
It should be a reality TV show.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »
They got this pompous old fuck to get up on stage

Dead on description of Joe Gauld

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

But no, I still got to rake leaves, shovel snow, deal with bitches who belong in the loony bin.
Your beliefs, opinions, look on life will change; you will be silenced if you disagree with how they run shit.
They got this pompous old fuck to get up on stage, picked a random black student out of the crowd of the school, he then waddled his way into his head like a pseudo psychic (my example was John Edwards), he figures out the kid is adopted. Then he goes on asking rhetorical questions like: ?Do you feel unloved?? then started smearing it in his face like: YOU ARE NOT LOVED! The kid was fucking crying, I wanted to bust his knee caps that whole day, and sure I fought the system, but the workouts and labor got the best of me because it was just to hard to keep fighting the was they handle people.

Was this off myspace?  I haven't made it over there yet.

And former parent, you did not tell us, which school did you enroll your child in post Hyde?  Was is a regular boarding school with more individualized attention, like Putney?  Just curious...  thanks
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2007, 02:41:45 PM »
...I wanted to bust his knee caps that whole day.

Interesting comment, in that I really do remember Joe's kneecaps most especially.  Perhaps that's because they were where my eyes were focused on during so many of a school meeting at the mansion...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Was this off myspace?  I haven't made it over there yet.

And former parent, you did not tell us, which school did you enroll your child in post Hyde?  Was is a regular boarding school with more individualized attention, like Putney?  Just curious...  thanks

Yes, this was off of Myspace.com.  If you go to "schools" and type in Hyde school either conn or maine, you will find lots of interesting posts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
...I wanted to bust his knee caps that whole day.

Interesting comment, in that I really do remember Joe's kneecaps most especially.  Perhaps that's because they were where my eyes were focused on during so many of a school meeting at the mansion...

School meeting at the mansion?  When were you at hyde?  There where too many of us to fit in the stairway when I was there mid seventies.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2007, 05:19:48 PM »
We used to have meetings on the stairs (early/mid 70's).  Joe would stand somewhere between the library (still? anyway, the room with the huge oak table which I am sure can not be removed) and that front room which was opposite the headmaster's office.  He basically stood in what was an entry hallway.  In front of him was open area, leading to the dining room (the kitchen was still at the mansion).  On either side of this open area were the stairs leading up on either side to the 2nd floor.  Students would amass in the open area and sitting on the stairs.

BTW, I do believe I saw Cool Hand Luke here in this open space.  Maybe that was the summer.

Either my 2nd or 3rd year, enough progress had been made on the Student Union and school meetings (as well as dining arrangements) moved down there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
I was at Hyde Woodstock in the late 90's.  I remember Joe standing their in his golf uniform going around the room trying to humiliate the students and parents.  He would set us up.  Ask questions wait for someone to be bold enough to answer him and then lay into the person in the most nasty way.  It made me feel so badly for the person he would lash out at.  It was as though he thought he was G-d and everyone else in the room was inferior to him.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2007, 06:18:45 PM »
That setting-up phenomenom was pretty standard.  It got so that you pretty much knew when NOT to venture an answer to his questionings, as he had a way about him when he was primed for blood.  Of course, I am sure if Laura Denton (Gauld) ventured an answer his response would be most muted.  Come to think of it, I don't think even she ventured an answer when he was in one of those moods...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
We used to have meetings on the stairs (early/mid 70's).  Joe would stand somewhere between the library (still? anyway, the room with the huge oak table which I am sure can not be removed) and that front room which was opposite the headmaster's office.  He basically stood in what was an entry hallway.  In front of him was open area, leading to the dining room (the kitchen was still at the mansion).  On either side of this open area were the stairs leading up on either side to the 2nd floor.  Students would amass in the open area and sitting on the stairs.

BTW, I do believe I saw Cool Hand Luke here in this open space.  Maybe that was the summer.

Either my 2nd or 3rd year, enough progress had been made on the Student Union and school meetings (as well as dining arrangements) moved down there.

Hey,

If you think that oak table is still there, you were gone by '75.  Phil and his buddy lit a fire under the table in summer school '75.  
I met Phil B.  I knew he was crazy.  I don't know how the Hyde staff missed it.  I was told that they screen now. I have also been told that that is a lie.  I hear Hyde is admitting bi-polar kids and weening them off their meds.  They are damn lucky it has been 30+ years since some one has seriously endangered the other students.

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2007, 11:31:25 PM »
I cannot begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air our child's post-Hyde school has been. It's a dream come true, and it puts Hyde to shame. We deeply regret that we ever set foot on Hyde's campus. Seeing what's possible at a school that is professionally run by skilled, insightful, supportive (and not naive) administrators and teachers is inspiring and gives me hope.

What school did you end up enrolling your child in?

I don't want to evade your question, but my kid wants me to be anonymous on this site in order to protect his privacy.  I need to respect my kid's wishes.  Also, our family is considering taking action against Hyde, so I don't want the school to know who I am.  If I disclose the school's name, Hyde will know who has been posting here; Hyde only sent one kid to that school that year as a transfer (although we met another family whose kid had transfered from Hyde a couple of years before--that family too was horrified by their Hyde experience and thanked their lucky stars they got out of the Hyde pit).

At some point I may come forward, but not now.  I hope you understand.  

Here's what I can say with complete confidence: People who find a really competent educational consultant are likely to find a healthy, nurturing school that has high standards (behaviorally and academically).  And . . . a competent educational consultant will NOT refer anyone to Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2007, 01:01:14 AM »
I cannot begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air our child's post-Hyde school has been. It's a dream come true, and it puts Hyde to shame. We deeply regret that we ever set foot on Hyde's campus. Seeing what's possible at a school that is professionally run by skilled, insightful, supportive (and not naive) administrators and teachers is inspiring and gives me hope.

I don't want to evade your question, but my kid wants me to be anonymous on this site in order to protect his privacy.  I need to respect my kid's wishes.  Also, our family is considering taking action against Hyde, so I don't want the school to know who I am.  If I disclose the school's name, Hyde will know who has been posting here; Hyde only sent one kid to that school that year as a transfer (although we met another family whose kid had transfered from Hyde a couple of years before--that family too was horrified by their Hyde experience and thanked their lucky stars they got out of the Hyde pit).

Here's what I can say with complete confidence: People who find a really competent educational consultant are likely to find a healthy, nurturing school that has high standards (behaviorally and academically).  And . . . a competent educational consultant will NOT refer anyone to Hyde.

I want everyone to know although there are some good ed consultants, they are far and few between.  I have talked to plenty of them who still recommend Hyde School even though they are aware of the controversy.  I would be very careful and contact former students and parents who will be honest about the school.  Sites such as this one are very informative.

To the person who is contemplating suing Hyde, good luck to you.  From what I understand if you hire a lawyer and go after them, they usually will roll over and give up.  A costly trial is not what they want.  Hire a good attorney in the state where your campus is.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2007, 03:36:14 AM »

NO, I TOTALLY TOTALLY understand, sorry if it appeared that I pressured you.  The whole privacy issue is a real raw one for many people who have had experiences at Hyde.  Perhaps it has something to do with having our personal autonomy so violated there.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2007, 03:42:38 AM »

Hey,

If you think that oak table is still there, you were gone by '75.  Phil and his buddy lit a fire under the table in summer school '75.  
I met Phil B.  I knew he was crazy.  I don't know how the Hyde staff missed it.  I was told that they screen now. I have also been told that that is a lie.  I hear Hyde is admitting bi-polar kids and weening them off their meds.  They are damn lucky it has been 30+ years since some one has seriously endangered the other students.

Emil

Oh, but I do remember the fire.  For some reason, I thought the oak table survived it.  Guess not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »

Hey,

Emil
Oh, but I do remember the fire.  For some reason, I thought the oak table survived it.  Guess not.

You have got me wondering. Too. I assumed it was gone.  The fire involved that whole part of the mansion and Phil set the fire directly under the table.  The mansion was still being used as a dorm at that point.   It was luck that no one was killed.

Emil