Author Topic: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School  (Read 48325 times)

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
With regard to Joe Gauld, you state, "he's hopeless, and it's clear he's fading away with a very weak sense of self."  Is there evidence that he's really "fading away with a very weak sense of self"?  I sense you're probably right, but I haven't seen it myself.  What have you seen?[/quote]

Ah, so you're someone still at Hyde!  I really don't know... it's just that he's old, and he can't always have been as confused and befuddled as he obviously was on the occasions when I observed him.  I hope I'm wrong and that he enjoys many years of good health!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I'm afraid an economic hammer is the only way to wield some clout around there.  Perhaps if places such as the William H. Donner Foundation stopped giving them money and their insurance company upped premiums (due their utter lack of action on issues they get sued over), they might deign to lend an ear.

Any way to know who their insurance company is or how to contact the companies that donate to them?

I imagine that Hyde's annual report lists major donors.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
Click on Donner on the following page to link to their website.

http://www.mediatransparency.org/recipi ... entID=3539

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »
I'm afraid an economic hammer is the only way to wield some clout around there.  Perhaps if places such as the William H. Donner Foundation stopped giving them money and their insurance company upped premiums (due their utter lack of action on issues they get sued over), they might deign to lend an ear.

Any way to know who their insurance company is or how to contact the companies that donate to them?

OK, so here's what you do if you're serious: you write a piece of about 7,500 words that points out in a clear and fair manner the things about the Hyde School that are disturbing to so many people who have passed through the institution.  To be effective this piece MUST include quotes from individuals- both students and their parents- who have had negative experiences with Hyde; hiding behind a cloak of anonymity is fine on sites like this, but it won't cut it at the next level.  You build up a case that is difficult to dismiss.

You also compose this piece so that it will also be read by educational consultants, newspaper and magazine editors, and producers at media outlets.

The ultimate result, hopefully, would not be that the Hyde School collapse, but rather that under duress it is forced to face up to the damaging behavior that has blemished its performance, and become a better place.  At least, that would be my hope.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
Quote from: ""gary eskow""

OK, so here's what you do if you're serious: you write a piece of about 7,500 words that points out in a clear and fair manner the things about the Hyde School that are disturbing to so many people who have passed through the institution.  To be effective this piece MUST include quotes from individuals- both students and their parents- who have had negative experiences with Hyde; hiding behind a cloak of anonymity is fine on sites like this, but it won't cut it at the next level.  You build up a case that is difficult to dismiss.

You also compose this piece so that it will also be read by educational consultants, newspaper and magazine editors, and producers at media outlets.

The ultimate result, hopefully, would not be that the Hyde School collapse, but rather that under duress it is forced to face up to the damaging behavior that has blemished its performance, and become a better place.  At least, that would be my hope.

My wife recently told me about a very popular web site that posts responsibly written letters and commentaries about programs and schools for struggling teens.  My understanding is that this is one of the most popular web sites out there for people looking into schools for struggling teens.  

It turns out that several people have written about their Hyde experiences.  I think all of us should consider  submitting material to this web site.  I gather it gets many "hits."  The link is: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 08:06:23 PM »

My wife recently told me about a very popular web site that posts responsibly written letters and commentaries about programs and schools for struggling teens.  My understanding is that this is one of the most popular web sites out there for people looking into schools for struggling teens.  

It turns out that several people have written about their Hyde experiences.  I think all of us should consider  submitting material to this web site.  I gather it gets many "hits."  The link is: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html

Hmm...  Your language sounds suspiciously like a commercial.

Readers take note:  Danger.  This site is run by Lon Woodbury, former admissions director for CEDU's Rocky Mountain Academy.  Here is a short thread elsewhere on Fornits:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=228203

Although the language in Fornits may be brutal and raw at times, with lots of typos, expletives, and grammatical flaws, Fornits is not beholden to any commercial interests that I know of, and is the best site out there bar none as far as honest information goes.

Sorry folks, to wax so poetically.  I really am NOT afiliated with Fornits in any way shape of form.   :D

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 08:09:13 PM »

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Damn but these people are transparent.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »

Readers take note:  Danger.  This site is run by Lon Woodbury, former admissions director for CEDU's Rocky Mountain Academy.  Here is a short thread elsewhere on Fornits:

Although the language in Fornits may be brutal and raw at times, with lots of typos, expletives, and grammatical flaws, Fornits is not beholden to any commercial interests that I know of, and is the best site out there bar none as far as honest information goes.

Sorry folks, to wax so poetically.  I really am NOT afiliated with Fornits in any way shape of form.   :D

I'm not really concerned about Lon Woodbury or his agenda.  What's most important to me is that his popular website provides an outlet for people who want to share their opinions about Hyde.  Whether or not his site accepts ads doesn't concern me much, as far as this is concerned.  Getting the word out about Hyde is the priority.  What matters is that lots of people read this web site.

http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 09:18:57 PM »

I'm not really concerned about Lon Woodbury or his agenda. What's most important to me is that his popular website provides an outlet for people who want to share their opinions about Hyde.  Whether or not his site accepts ads doesn't concern me much, as far as this is concerned.  Getting the word out about Hyde is the priority.  What matters is that lots of people read this web site.

The only "word" allowed on ST is support of programs.  People don't post over there much because posts that don't support Lon's agenda are swiftly dealt with (deleted).  If you're looking for a one sided view of Hyde, sure ST is your place.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:23 PM »
There are only 4 postings ("letters to the editor").  The first one is the only one that appears to really go into much detail re. the Hyde process and whether its applicable to your child and your family.  The next three are almost knee-jerk reactions to the first one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 09:37:19 PM »
Me again.  I should say that the overall impression that one gets from the aforementioned FIRST "letter to the editor" is pretty negative.  But I believe these people may have submitted something to ISAC (?somebody help me out on this?), so their word may be more impervious to deletion.  I don't think it any coincidence that this first, somewhat negative, letter is followed by three glowing reports in rapid succession.  And then nothing 'till the present; two years, is it?

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2007, 10:13:59 PM »

It turns out that several people have written about their Hyde experiences.  I think all of us should consider  submitting material to this web site.  I gather it gets many "hits."  The link is: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html[/quote]

Sorry folks, to wax so poetically.  I really am NOT afiliated with Fornits in any way shape of form.   :D[/quote]

I spoke with Lon after he read my report. He seemed like a nice enough guy but frankly I was not impressed with the questions he asked or the depth of his comments about schools like Hyde.  In fairness, we only spoke for ten minutes or so; he may have a lot more going for him than I was able to discern.

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 10:14:32 PM »

It turns out that several people have written about their Hyde experiences.  I think all of us should consider  submitting material to this web site.  I gather it gets many "hits."  The link is: http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html[/quote]

Sorry folks, to wax so poetically.  I really am NOT afiliated with Fornits in any way shape of form.   :D[/quote]

I spoke with Lon after he read my report. He seemed like a nice enough guy but frankly I was not impressed with the questions he asked or the depth of his comments about schools like Hyde.  In fairness, we only spoke for ten minutes or so; he may have a lot more going for him than I was able to discern.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
Me again.  I should say that the overall impression that one gets from the aforementioned FIRST "letter to the editor" is pretty negative.  But I believe these people may have submitted something to ISAC (?somebody help me out on this?), so their word may be more impervious to deletion.  I don't think it any coincidence that this first, somewhat negative, letter is followed by three glowing reports in rapid succession.  And then nothing 'till the present; two years, is it?

Yeah, that's what I see too.  I guess I was speaking more about the forums that are on ST.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
re: parent wanting info
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2007, 10:49:49 PM »
as a former student of hyde, i can say that it is very important to investigate what the school is about and come to your own conclusion as a parent. equally important is understanding that it is not really possible to understand what it is really like unless you are faculty or student. the website and literature are very reassurring, especially for a parent of a struggling high school student, but the controversies, inadequacies, and incindiary incidents are played down and drowned out by faith in the 'process' and by extension your  character. the founder of the school is narsissistic and strubborn, and his ask no questions tough love approach comes out as bullying and lecturing more times than not. but again, this is my openion

i was treated extremely inappropriatly on multiple occasions by faculty, once crossing the line into unprovoked violence coming from a senior faculty. i was called 'bitch' and 'f*cking idiot' during confrontations. the many faults and unprofessionalism amoung the staff is not represented truthfully on the website, so beware.

hyde school sincerly believes that they help families all the time and are committed to doing more of it. i still talk to people who are firm that they owe their lives to hyde. i dont. and most of the people who retain their souls after graduating or getting out dont either and arent bashful about talking about it.