Author Topic: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School  (Read 48815 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
Quote from: "Emil"
I actually compiled a great deal.

Yes, Emil, I think you did compile a great deal....   :rofl:
(I gather you actually meant to say "complied"?)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2007, 01:58:46 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: "Emil"
I actually compiled a great deal.

Yes, Emil, I think you did compile a great deal....   :rofl:
(I gather you actually meant to say "complied"?)

complied, yes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
And Gary, please be patient.

When I first found this site, it was quite a while before I started posting.  Notwithstanding personal fears about the long arms of Hyde (which I suspect are nowhere near as long as our fears would have believe), I also was under the misguided impression that the then current posters were having a personal conversation with one another and there was no way I could just jump in and participate.  I would do a lot of reading up on older postings as well as then current ones, and then finally one day I posted as well.  It takes a while to get to that point.  And it takes a while to get from one or two sentence interjections to paragraphs.  And it'll take me a while longer to get to some of the more soul-searing and very very personal stuff, if I dare to.

In the beginning, there was a tremendous need to see my hurt or indignation, or others' hurt and indignation, expressed in print.  It was a bit cathartic, and very healing for me.  I have read others who post of these same sentiments, having read of others who express the same feeling that they thought were unique to their family's alone.  And perhaps that is where it ends for some people.  They do not have need for it to go any further.  However, I, for one, am very interested in seeing that your article makes it to print.  But you must be patient.

I am not entirely sure why this is, but there has been a tremendous increase in traffic at this site.  To be sure, the postings have been quite a bit more numerous, and I hear several voices that have not been here before.  But the "views" have also increased, exponentially it seems.  I just checked, this particular thread that this post is on has been opened and viewed 3827 times.  Last Friday night, I believe it was, I remember that it just crossed the 2100 mark.  That means that in approximately 4 days, this thread has been opened and viewed 1727 times.

I want to thank you, very much, for your thoughtful, articulate and perceptive observations.  Like you, I have been reading this web site cautiously and with some skepticism.  I am now convinced that there are quite a few very responsible people posting here who have lots to say about their dreadful, painful, or whatever experiences at Hyde.  Yes, there is some chaff among the wheat here, but that's to be expected in such a public forum where anyone can participate.  I'm very, very impressed by the growing number of people who have important things to say about Hyde, nearly all of them negative (at least that's my impression).

What seems to be happening here is that a critical mass of people is beginning to speak out about their Hyde experience in a way that wasn't possible when our kids were there.  Many of us suffered in deep and painful silence as we groped our way through Hyde for the 1-2-3 years we were there.  This web site seems to be unleashing lots of pent-up feeling and emotion about Hyde.  Finally, there's a place to share this, and this seems to be a safe place.  This is a very important development, and I suspect that Hyde is suffering from this exposure.  

As you said, this is very cathartic.  While I was suffering at Hyde, and as I witnessed all manner of unconscionable abuses and inept staff, I fantasized about exposing Hyde.  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that this kind of outlet might be available.  I'm glad to have discovered this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2007, 01:44:32 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I want to thank you, very much, for your thoughtful, articulate and perceptive observations.  Like you, I have been reading this web site cautiously and with some skepticism.  I am now convinced that there are quite a few very responsible people posting here who have lots to say about their dreadful, painful, or whatever experiences at Hyde.  Yes, there is some chaff among the wheat here, but that's to be expected in such a public forum where anyone can participate.  I'm very, very impressed by the growing number of people who have important things to say about Hyde, nearly all of them negative (at least that's my impression).

What seems to be happening here is that a critical mass of people is beginning to speak out about their Hyde experience in a way that wasn't possible when our kids were there.  Many of us suffered in deep and painful silence as we groped our way through Hyde for the 1-2-3 years we were there.  This web site seems to be unleashing lots of pent-up feeling and emotion about Hyde.  Finally, there's a place to share this, and this seems to be a safe place.  This is a very important development, and I suspect that Hyde is suffering from this exposure.  

As you said, this is very cathartic.  While I was suffering at Hyde, and as I witnessed all manner of unconscionable abuses and inept staff, I fantasized about exposing Hyde.  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that this kind of outlet might be available.  I'm glad to have discovered this.

Thank you for those words of encouragement. I have two questions for you. How is it possible to "read this web site cautiously and with some skepticism" and at the same time to "suffer in deep and painful silence" at Hyde?  

My other question is: How is it possible to "witness all manner of unconscionable abuses and inept staff" while "fantasizing about exposing Hyde" and at the same time to reenroll your child there for 1-2-3 years?

Forgive me if I'm prying, but I'm truly curious to know how you resolved these apparent contradictions.

Mike

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2007, 03:06:21 AM »
And Gary, please be patient.

When I first found this site, it was quite a while before I started posting.  Notwithstanding personal fears about the long arms of Hyde (which I suspect are nowhere near as long as our fears would have believe), I also was under the misguided impression that the then current posters were having a personal conversation with one another and there was no way I could just jump in and participate.  I would do a lot of reading up on older postings as well as then current ones, and then finally one day I posted as well.  It takes a while to get to that point.  And it takes a while to get from one or two sentence interjections to paragraphs.  And it'll take me a while longer to get to some of the more soul-searing and very very personal stuff, if I dare to.

In the beginning, there was a tremendous need to see my hurt or indignation, or others' hurt and indignation, expressed in print.  It was a bit cathartic, and very healing for me.  I have read others who post of these same sentiments, having read of others who express the same feeling that they thought were unique to their family's alone.  And perhaps that is where it ends for some people.  They do not have need for it to go any further.  However, I, for one, am very interested in seeing that your article makes it to print.  But you must be patient.

I am not entirely sure why this is, but there has been a tremendous increase in traffic at this site.  To be sure, the postings have been quite a bit more numerous, and I hear several voices that have not been here before.  But the "views" have also increased, exponentially it seems.  I just checked, this particular thread that this post is on has been opened and viewed 3827 times.  Last Friday night, I believe it was, I remember that it just crossed the 2100 mark.  That means that in approximately 4 days, this thread has been opened and viewed 1727 times.

Former Parent, I was the one who originally posted the interior-most box; thank you for your kind words.  I decided today that I would finally take the plunge and become a recognizable entity!   :D  

This is in very large part due to ALL of you who have poured out your feelings and experiences, both negative and positive, both serious and humorous, here on this board.  There is a kind of emotional cancer that feeds on the soul when you have a trauma and you think you are alone in that trauma (talk about "unique potential", eh?).  What has been so cathartic for me these past few months is the growing awareness that my point of view, my "take" on this place if you will, has VALIDITY regardless of whether any one agrees with me or not.  And that is THE BEST FOOD for the soul in no small measure.  Amen.

I would also like to venture a wee comment on how important it is to have "some chaff among the wheat" here.  A healthy community needs some dissent, some ribald humor, etc. to help keep its perspective and the juices flowing.  Plus, the postings reminiscing about past times and misbehaviors are so very important for the soul, so life-affirming; I enjoy reading them so much!...   ::nod::
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »

Thank you for those words of encouragement. I have two questions for you. How is it possible to "read this web site cautiously and with some skepticism" and at the same time to "suffer in deep and painful silence" at Hyde?  

My other question is: How is it possible to "witness all manner of unconscionable abuses and inept staff" while "fantasizing about exposing Hyde" and at the same time to reenroll your child there for 1-2-3 years?

Forgive me if I'm prying, but I'm truly curious to know how you resolved these apparent contradictions.

Mike

Mike: Your questions are reasonable (I wrote the post you're asking about).  Regarding your first question, the caution and skepticism to which I refer have nothing to do with the validity of many postings here.  I've never questioned the thoughtful, passionate, insightful, sincere comments.  My reasons for caution and skepticism had only to do with my paranoia about Hyde.  When I first discovered this site I wondered who was posting here, whether Hyde was snooping and setting up Hyde's fans to post positive comments (I now see that there are virtually no positive Hyde comments), and I was concerned about some snide and immature, provocative, occasionally obscene comments.  That's all.  This site now seems to have evolved and the vast majority of the postings are constructive.  I hope that clarifies my comment about caution and skepticism.

Regarding your second question, we did not keep our child at Hyde for 3 years.  When I referred to staying at Hyde for 1-2-3 years, I was merely referring to the range of experiences among those posting here.  As soon as we realized how pathological Hyde's environment is, and how damaging it is for many Hyde students and parents, we began searching for a new school.  I cannot begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air our child's post-Hyde school has been.  It's a dream come true, and it puts Hyde to shame.  We deeply regret that we ever set foot on Hyde's campus.  Seeing what's possible at a school that is professionally run by skilled, insightful, supportive (and not naive) administrators and teachers is inspiring and gives me hope.  I've learned that there are wonderful schools for kids who struggle, horrible schools (I put Hyde in this category), and schools that are "mixed bags" (with impressive strengths and nontrivial limitations).  The challenge, I think, is finding a principled, skilled educational consultant who knows to stay away from Hyde and is very well informed and willing to look for one of the really good schools that are out there.  Like schools, educational consultants are a mixed group; some are wonderfully skilled and some are not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2007, 08:10:05 AM »

Mike

Mike: Your questions are reasonable (I wrote the post you're asking about).  Regarding your first question, the caution and skepticism to which I refer have nothing to do with the validity of many postings here.  I've never questioned the thoughtful, passionate, insightful, sincere comments.  My reasons for caution and skepticism had only to do with my paranoia about Hyde.  When I first discovered this site I wondered who was posting here, whether Hyde was snooping and setting up Hyde's fans to post positive comments (I now see that there are virtually no positive Hyde comments), and I was concerned about some snide and immature, provocative, occasionally obscene comments.  That's all.  This site now seems to have evolved and the vast majority of the postings are constructive.  I hope that clarifies my comment about caution and skepticism.

Regarding your second question, we did not keep our child at Hyde for 3 years.  When I referred to staying at Hyde for 1-2-3 years, I was merely referring to the range of experiences among those posting here.  As soon as we realized how pathological Hyde's environment is, and how damaging it is for many Hyde students and parents, we began searching for a new school.  I cannot begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air our child's post-Hyde school has been.  It's a dream come true, and it puts Hyde to shame.  We deeply regret that we ever set foot on Hyde's campus.  Seeing what's possible at a school that is professionally run by skilled, insightful, supportive (and not naive) administrators and teachers is inspiring and gives me hope.  I've learned that there are wonderful schools for kids who struggle, horrible schools (I put Hyde in this category), and schools that are "mixed bags" (with impressive strengths and nontrivial limitations).  The challenge, I think, is finding a principled, skilled educational consultant who knows to stay away from Hyde and is very well informed and willing to look for one of the really good schools that are out there.  Like schools, educational consultants are a mixed group; some are wonderfully skilled and some are not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2007, 08:39:31 AM »

Mike

I thought that you were using the royal we, but I just wanted to make sure. As for Hyde snooping, they probably are! I wish we could get a dialogue going with them, but it seems they are not ready to recognize us and/or they are not up to the debate. This merely demonstrates the need to take our grievances to a more public forum, such as the one Gary is proposing. Thanks for your clarifications.

Mike

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »
When I first discovered this site I wondered who was posting here, whether Hyde was snooping and setting up Hyde's fans to post positive comments (I now see that there are virtually no positive Hyde comments), and I was concerned about some snide and immature, provocative, occasionally obscene comments.

I agree with Mike.  They probably are snooping.  As to the reactionary knee-jerk interjections we used to get, these have been strangely absent of late.

When I remember back to my sports participation days, how the degree to which you stretched your vocal chords cheering the team on was actually considered a reflection of your attitude and commitment (and would be brought up and discussed in team meetings), it is not hard to see where some current students may be coming from.  I don't harbor them any ill will, theoretically (I might change my mind for specific circumstances  :D ).

If we can not tolerate some dissent, how are we any different than the regime we reject at Hyde?  And if we do not allow room for a range of opinion here, how can someone just beginning to question what they went through/are going through have a place to explore healing?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2007, 09:26:35 AM »

Mike

I thought that you were using the royal we, but I just wanted to make sure. As for Hyde snooping, they probably are! I wish we could get a dialogue going with them, but it seems they are not ready to recognize us and/or they are not up to the debate. This merely demonstrates the need to take our grievances to a more public forum, such as the one Gary is proposing. Thanks for your clarifications.

Mike

I agree with you, Mike.  What Gary is proposing is the way to do this.  It also makes sense for people to share their opinions on the other sites that have been mentioned in several posts: sending comments to NEASC (they accredit Hyde) and posting comments on the editorial page of the Woodbury struggling teens web site (http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/let ... index.html) and sending comments to the ISAC site: http://www.isaccorp.org/

These can be very effective.

Here's my guess as to Hyde's strategy with regard to this web site:  By now they must know about this site and are very concerned about the bad publicity.  Perhaps they've decided not to acknowledge the site as a way to downplay its significance (if you claim you don't hear the tree falling in the forest, you can say it doesn't exist . . .).  They realize there's little to be gained (for Hyde) by entering into a debate or dialogue on this public site--too much PR risk.  I can't imagine someone at Hyde isn't monitoring this site fairly regularly (staff, HAPA parent, etc.).

So, I imagine they've decided to observe this web site from afar, stay quiet about it, and bite their fingernails while they watch Hyde's public flogging, hoping that this doesn't hurt enrollments too much.  I guess you could say that Hyde is getting a taste of its own medicine.

I can't be sure of any of this, but that's my bet.  By the way, I imagine this publicity IS hurting Hyde's enrollments, as is the greater visibility of this site on Google.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »
I cannot begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air our child's post-Hyde school has been. It's a dream come true, and it puts Hyde to shame. We deeply regret that we ever set foot on Hyde's campus. Seeing what's possible at a school that is professionally run by skilled, insightful, supportive (and not naive) administrators and teachers is inspiring and gives me hope.

What school did you end up enrolling your child in?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2007, 12:26:19 PM »

Mike

Mike

I do believe that Hyde reads these posts.  I also believe that they themselves were posting positive responses several months back.  At this point they probably see that we have some fairly intelligent people on this board, and they don't want to try to go up against us for fear of making themselves look worse than they already do.

There isn't a lot Hyde can say to defend themselves against this.  Facts are facts and what we are telling the world about what goes on behind the doors at Hyde School is the truth.  Some people might see the tactics Hyde School uses as positive.  I personally don't, but to each his own!!

I want to thank all of you who are posting and have validated my feelings about the destruction and emotional harm Hyde causes.  This board has really helped me.  I hope more people will find it and join so they too can feel validated as well as coming to terms with the whole Hyde experience

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »

Mike

Mike

I do believe that Hyde reads these posts.  I also believe that they themselves were posting positive responses several months back.  At this point they probably see that we have some fairly intelligent people on this board, and they don't want to try to go up against us for fear of making themselves look worse than they already do.

There isn't a lot Hyde can say to defend themselves against this.  Facts are facts and what we are telling the world about what goes on behind the doors at Hyde School is the truth.  Some people might see the tactics Hyde School uses as positive.  I personally don't, but to each his own!!

I want to thank all of you who are posting and have validated my feelings about the destruction and emotional harm Hyde causes.  This board has really helped me.  I hope more people will find it and join so they too can feel validated as well as coming to terms with the whole Hyde experience

Seems like we are having our own Hyde Seminar but instead of putting the kleenex in the middle of the room and having untrained facilitators badgering and humiliating parents and students, we are doing it in a much more helpful way.  Congratulations to Mike and Emil and whoever else has helped me to feel better about what I went through at Hyde School.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2007, 01:03:58 PM »

Mike

Mike

Seems like we are having our own Hyde Seminar but instead of putting the kleenex in the middle of the room and having untrained facilitators badgering and humiliating parents and students, we are doing it in a much more helpful way.  Congratulations to Mike and Emil and whoever else has helped me to feel better about what I went through at Hyde School.

Hey don't forget Burl Ives.  
Boys and girls, tell King Moonracer to piss off when he tries to get you to go to the island of Hyde, I mean misfit toys.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 08, 2007, 01:11:31 PM »

Mike

Mike

Hey don't forget Burl Ives.  
Boys and girls, tell King Moonracer to piss off when he tries to get you to go to the island of Hyde, I mean misfit toys.