Author Topic: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School  (Read 49172 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""gary eskow""
Gary, I am willing to tell the story of our family at Hyde as long as our names are not mentioned. I have spoken to you about this and feel confident you will respect my privacy.

How about the rest of you posters stepping up to the plate. As long as names are not mentioned there shouldnt be a problem. You are sharing your stories on this website which is public, so there is very little difference putting it in another form of print. One person mentioned a liability issue. There is no liability issue unless you would make up a bunch of lies. I have already checked this out with an attorney.

I enjoyed speaking to Gary and you will too. He is a professional and is respectful of my request for anonymity

---

thank you for this... of course I will respect the privacy of any who choose to remain anonymous.  If there are folks tracking this link who are unabashed fans of Hyde... please contact me!!  We need a balanced overview of the school... the article I plan on writing will frankly address the concerns that many who have passed through Hyde have.  But those who look in the rear view mirror and feel that the time they spent there was all, or overwhelmingly, positive, need to be heard from as well.

GE

Gary,

My writing something would be like reviewing Ford based on a Pinto test drive.  My experiance is 30 years old.  
It was really instructive to read some of the recent posts.  The socialogic post was really interesting.  It confirms some of the patterns I observed there.  Cohersive Persuation may not be bad in and of itself.  If it was used in a controlled manner toward a good end it might not be bad.  It was fasinating that people had studied other communities like hyde and had named the social dynamics. The video link that some one posted was intersesting also.  Hyde is onion like.  

Emil

Emil, I disagree with you.  I think your story is very valuable even though it is 30 years old.  I have enjoyed reading your stories and it has helped me to deal with some of the issues I have re Hyde.  You have taught me that Hyde is no different today than it was 30 years ago.  You are obviously a very intelligent person who has a lot to add about how Hyde operates and to me this is what is important.  Does Character Education work?  Are Joe Gauld's teaching methods effective?  These are all questions that can be answered by talking to people like you who have been through the program.

I have spoken to Gary and I hope you will too because I think you have a lot to add to the story.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »
Quote from: ""Emil""
Cohersive Persuation may not be bad in and of itself. If it was used in a controlled manner toward a good end it might not be bad.

I disagree.  

Although I concede that there may be times when its use is more desirable than the alternative (for example, to truly save someone's life), its use under ANY conditions generates trauma and psychological damage.  Hyde does not in any way address this.  At some point in our lives post-Hyde, I do believe a great many of us (if not most of us) go through some form of post-traumatic stress disorder.

(BTW, by saving someone's life, I do not by any means imply the circumstances alluded to by "if you don't send your kid to Hyde, he'll be dead by age 25," which is pretty much the stock statement made to parents teetering on the brink of enrollment decisions...)

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2007, 12:14:30 PM »
Gary,

My writing something would be like reviewing Ford based on a Pinto test drive. My experiance is 30 years old.

Emil

Emil... Possibly, but to the best of my knowledge Hyde has not disavowed any of its earlier practices, and from what I heard very recently, Joe is still given free range to cajole and threaten whoever, whenever he wants to.

Historical continuity would be important. I think you could provide something valuable.  Your call, of course!

g

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
Here are two excerpts from a piece entitled "Coercive Treatment of Adolescents", by Charles Huffine, M.D.  You can access the entire piece via the link provided below.

Some of my patients are referred to me with a history of having been in a therapeutic boarding school. Once they have come to trust me they will share with me the kind of tales we find on this web site; horrific details of abusive and grossly inappropriate treatment. I have heard these stories too many times. The stories vary however. Occasionally I have heard some positive stories where a youth has been treated with respect and caring in an appropriately run facility, but even then it is against their will. I see very little evidence that even these kids have been helped. The bad stories prevail. I care deeply for youth I work with. I have a strong bias of positive regard for all youth I meet because I genuinely like adolescents. When I hear of mistreatment in facilities that are supposed to care for youth I feel the betrayal and see the harm it has done to my patient. My reaction has been one of extreme anger. This has mobilized me to be an activist in trying to address the system failings that allow these travesties to continue. How could any adult do differently if they are a decent human being and have normal instincts of care and concern for kids? It horrifies me that in our society we can enter into a mass denial that lets these facilities exist.
Involuntary residential care outside of such a legal process cannot be therapeutic, no mater how humane and well intended the staff, as it undercuts and essential aspect of adolescent development, the achievement of autonomy. It is NOT therapeutic because the loss of rights does damage to a sense of self. It undercuts the formation of a personal identity. As with restraint and seclusion, it may be necessary to save a life, but it has a very large cost. It represents a failure, or an absence, of community-based treatment. In such circumstances, such active coercion needs to be ended in the shortest possible time, preferably only a few days. Individuals detained, even in a state of psychotic thinking, should be offered trauma support and counseling, similar to what is commonly recommended after an episode of restraint, to undo the damage caused by such coercion.

http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=35

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2007, 01:18:32 PM »
Cohersive Persuation may not be bad in and of itself. If it was used in a controlled manner toward a good end it might not be bad.

I disagree.  

Although I concede that there may be times when its use is more desirable than the alternative (for example, to truly save someone's life), its use under ANY conditions generates trauma and psychological damage.  Hyde does not in any way address this.  At some point in our lives post-Hyde, I do believe a great many of us (if not most of us) go through some form of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Yes. Hyde is premised on a naive belief that we have secrets to hide, and success there is measured in terms of openness. But anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of psychology knows that the most damaging and traumatic events in our lives are often secrets to ourselves, which only a sensitive and competent psychologist can tease out.  

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »
...And in a loving, nurturing, healing environment, no less.

..NOT shamed and humiliated in a public arena, be it school meeting or seminar, and then to have to - in addition - undergo interogation by ill-advised therapist-wannabees, not to mention the coals thrown on by those intending to inflict REAL harm...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »
...And in a loving, nurturing, healing environment, no less.

..NOT shamed and humiliated in a public arena, be it school meeting or seminar, and then to have to - in addition - undergo interogation by ill-advised therapist-wannabees, not to mention the coals thrown on by those intending to inflict REAL harm...

If you don't come to Hyde with a trauma, you'll leave with one.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »
And if you do come to Hyde with a trauma (which many kids did, myself included), you leave with a trauma-rama!

(Hopeless.  Only humor can save us!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2007, 03:23:42 PM »

I disagree.  

Yes. Hyde is premised on a naive belief that we have secrets to hide, and success there is measured in terms of openness. But anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of psychology knows that the most damaging and traumatic events in our lives are often secrets to ourselves, which only a sensitive and competent psychologist can tease out.  

Mike

And why is openness so important? Because we must not have an identity that is not part of the group. We must tear down the barriers between the ego and the group.    

Mike

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2007, 05:38:25 PM »
Hyde always stresses that it is after us to develope our "unique potential."  In my book, that's a little like Nixon claiming he was only after "Peace" in Vietnam (as opposed to tin and tungsten).  Unique potential, yah, but only if it falls in the skinny range accepted by Hyde.

I was always extremely shy, kind of a loner.  There's a place in a healthy society for people like me, and it's not a bad place; it's just a different place than the majority of people.

At Hyde these characteristics were branded as antisocial and selfish, even narcissistic, if I remember one person correctly.  It didn't help that I liked to excel at academics.  That really branded me as a total loser.  It really felt as though they considered aptitude as being antithetical to attitude.

There is something wrong with an "educational system" that ostracizes so many.  I am sure that there are many other people who were told for equally spurious reasons that they were not "Hyde material."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »
Hyde always stresses that it is after us to develope our "unique potential."  In my book, that's a little like Nixon claiming he was only after "Peace" in Vietnam (as opposed to tin and tungsten).  Unique potential, yah, but only if it falls in the skinny range accepted by Hyde.

I was always extremely shy, kind of a loner.  There's a place in a healthy society for people like me, and it's not a bad place; it's just a different place than the majority of people.

At Hyde these characteristics were branded as antisocial and selfish, even narcissistic, if I remember one person correctly.  It didn't help that I liked to excel at academics.  That really branded me as a total loser.  It really felt as though they considered aptitude as being antithetical to attitude.

There is something wrong with an "educational system" that ostracizes so many.  I am sure that there are many other people who were told for equally spurious reasons that they were not "Hyde material."

It surprises me how many people view introversion as a mental illness as if the world should be filled with glad handing politicians and used car salesmen.  "We don't need no stinking introverts like emily dickinson"
http://www.bartleby.com/113/1011.html

All you need is a shoe shine and a smile.

Emil

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2007, 07:01:47 PM »
Ah Emil, ya gotta cut-and-paste these things as well as provide the original link.  Not everyone has a broadband connection, not to mention that some links are but temporary...

Emily Dickinson (1830?86).  Complete Poems.  1924.

Part One: Life

XI

MUCH madness is divinest sense   
To a discerning eye;   
Much sense the starkest madness.   
?T is the majority   
In this, as all, prevails.           
Assent, and you are sane;   
Demur,?you ?re straightway dangerous,   
And handled with a chain.   

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2007, 07:15:27 PM »
Thanks to whoever posted the quote that I've re-posted below.  I am very impressed by this therapist's comments about poorly run, abusive schools like the Hyde School.  There's no doubt whatsoever that this author's observations fit the Hyde scenario.  The litany of Hyde abuses is deep and wide.  Perhaps the worst indictment is that the Hyde powers-that-be continue to allow Joe Gauld to represent the school.  Hyde will continue to suffer in the public relations department as long as the likes of Joe are allowed to run the school.  I can't imagine that a thoughtful, dedicated parent would send their kid to Hyde if they know about the day-to-day practices there.  There is no way that whatever positive things happen at Hyde could outweigh the horrible, abusive features at Hyde.  It's not a close contest.  

I am very, very happy that people are finding out what goes on at Hyde.  This website is very empowering.

"Some of my patients are referred to me with a history of having been in a therapeutic boarding school. Once they have come to trust me they will share with me the kind of tales we find on this web site; horrific details of abusive and grossly inappropriate treatment. I have heard these stories too many times. The stories vary however. Occasionally I have heard some positive stories where a youth has been treated with respect and caring in an appropriately run facility, but even then it is against their will. I see very little evidence that even these kids have been helped. The bad stories prevail. I care deeply for youth I work with. I have a strong bias of positive regard for all youth I meet because I genuinely like adolescents. When I hear of mistreatment in facilities that are supposed to care for youth I feel the betrayal and see the harm it has done to my patient. My reaction has been one of extreme anger. This has mobilized me to be an activist in trying to address the system failings that allow these travesties to continue. How could any adult do differently if they are a decent human being and have normal instincts of care and concern for kids? It horrifies me that in our society we can enter into a mass denial that lets these facilities exist."

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2007, 08:51:37 PM »
"Some of my patients are referred to me with a history of having been in a therapeutic boarding school. Once they have come to trust me they will share with me the kind of tales we find on this web site; horrific details of abusive and grossly inappropriate treatment. I have heard these stories too many times. The stories vary however. Occasionally I have heard some positive stories where a youth has been treated with respect and caring in an appropriately run facility, but even then it is against their will. I see very little evidence that even these kids have been helped. The bad stories prevail. I care deeply for youth I work with. I have a strong bias of positive regard for all youth I meet because I genuinely like adolescents. When I hear of mistreatment in facilities that are supposed to care for youth I feel the betrayal and see the harm it has done to my patient. My reaction has been one of extreme anger. This has mobilized me to be an activist in trying to address the system failings that allow these travesties to continue. How could any adult do differently if they are a decent human being and have normal instincts of care and concern for kids? It horrifies me that in our society we can enter into a mass denial that lets these facilities exist."

--- My experience at Hyde includes some very positive moments.
I've assembled a roster of people who want to be interviewed for the article I'm considering putting together, but am still puzzled why so many are reluctant to do so- particularly since their anonymity could be protected.

Perhaps you, the adolescent therapist, has a perspective we could include.  Let me know if you're interested in participating.

GE
www.garyeskow.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
HI Gary, that was a quote, taken from an earlier post (Mon Feb 5 2007,12:25 PM), which in turn was quoting Dr. Charles Huffine, found on the web via the following link:  http://cafety.org/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=35

People please use your quotes.  I think technically you are supposed to include a link to your original source within your post to be in sync with Fair Use policies, although I am not absolutely sure about that.  And if you box your quote, it makes it even easier to read...  You can "box" items by typing:     text to be boxed
with bracket notations  [  and  ]  substituted for the pointy arrowheads.  Or use the buttons above text area.  NOTE: you must have JavaScript enabled for those buttons to work (check your Browser's Preferences, under security).

See also clickable "BBCode" highlighted in "Options" mini-menu just below the Emoticons on your left in Post-a-Reply.  This will open a whole new window re. negotiating particulars.  You can toggle back and forth while you are posting a reply.