Author Topic: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School  (Read 48316 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« on: January 14, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
This morning I have spent time trying to locate information about the Hyde School.  I found this web site pretty quickly by doing a Google search.  Most of the comments I read here are very troubling.  When I read Hyde's official material I got the impression that the school focuses heavily on values and character.  Reading this web site, however, I'm beginning to get a very different, and troubling, picture of Hyde.  Many of the comments I read on this site suggest that there's a disturbing side to Hyde and that many people have had very negative experiences (not everyone, it appears, but many).  Many people who post here seem to be troubled especially by the school's founder, Joe Gauld, along with some other Hyde staff.

I am very eager for more information, especially current information, about what kind of school Hyde REALLY is, the positive and negative.  I would appreciate it if people would post serious comments.  (I prefer to avoid the sillier and more juvenile comments.)  

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Requesting Parents' Assessment of Hyde School
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
This morning I have spent time trying to locate information about the Hyde School.  I found this web site pretty quickly by doing a Google search.  Most of the comments I read here are very troubling.  When I read Hyde's official material I got the impression that the school focuses heavily on values and character.  Reading this web site, however, I'm beginning to get a very different, and troubling, picture of Hyde.  Many of the comments I read on this site suggest that there's a disturbing side to Hyde and that many people have had very negative experiences (not everyone, it appears, but many).  Many people who post here seem to be troubled especially by the school's founder, Joe Gauld, along with some other Hyde staff.

I am very eager for more information, especially current information, about what kind of school Hyde REALLY is, the positive and negative.  I would appreciate it if people would post serious comments.  (I prefer to avoid the sillier and more juvenile comments.)  

Thank you.

May I ask what 'catch words' you used for your Google?  I only found this site on page 2 or 3 of a Google, and that was thanks to a slew of words and descriptives I can't even remember offhand now.

As to your request for more info, I think your best bet is to read through this site more thoroughly, as long and laborious as it may seem; the spontaneous info you get gives a more rounded picture that is more to be believed.  Also check the other forum sites via the Index, to get a bigger picture of the kind of schools out there for 'problematic' teens.  Some postings have links too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »

Thank you.
May I ask what 'catch words' you used for your Google?  I only found this site on page 2 or 3 of a Google, and that was thanks to a slew of words and descriptives I can't even remember offhand now.

As to your request for more info, I think your best bet is to read through this site more thoroughly, as long and laborious as it may seem; the spontaneous info you get gives a more rounded picture that is more to be believed.  Also check the other forum sites via the Index, to get a bigger picture of the kind of schools out there for 'problematic' teens.  Some postings have links too.

Thanks for responding.  I am reading through this web site, which is a bit overwhelming, to learn more about Hyde from different people's perspectives.  It's impossible to read everything, of course, but some clear patterns seem to be emerging.  Putting aside the snide and simply irreverant comments, the impression I get is that Hyde attracts a lot of parents who seem to be desperate and aren't sure where to turn (similar to our situation).  Hyde's public relations material seems to be very appealing, and as someone here said, seductive.  They use lots of very appealing terms and concepts related to values, character, attitude, etc.  The people who are happy with Hyde seem to fit a pattern, perhaps people who really like structure and authority figures.  I get the sense that many people who go to Hyde end up feeling frustrated, angry, or worse, and then go somewhere else.  That scares me.  

Beneath the surface, I'm getting the sense that Hyde is a much more complicated and controversial place than their official materials suggest.  I keep seeing lots of references to cult qualities and lots of mention of some very arrogant staffers.  I'm also concerned about the groups that everyone is required to participate in.  I'm more than willing to look at my own stuff and our family dynamics, but everything I read tells me that Hyde's groups aren't run by professionals but, rather, teachers and other staff.  This seems quite risky to me, given what I know about the kinds of personal issues that usually come up in these groups.  

I've also read many comments about how many Hyde students come to the school with some pretty serious emotional and psychological problems.  Am I right that Hyde doesn't have any mental health staff on campus?  That too is very troubling, and very different from every other school I've looked at that serves this kind of struggling teenager.

(To answer your question, I Googled Hyde and found this web site several pages into their listings.  I'm trying to find everything I can about this school.  You mentioned other websites.  Which others should I look at?)

Thanks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:36:16 PM »

Thank you.

Thanks for responding.  I am reading through this web site, which is a bit overwhelming, to learn more about Hyde from different people's perspectives.  It's impossible to read everything, of course, but some clear patterns seem to be emerging.  Putting aside the snide and simply irreverant comments, the impression I get is that Hyde attracts a lot of parents who seem to be desperate and aren't sure where to turn (similar to our situation).  Hyde's public relations material seems to be very appealing, and as someone here said, seductive.  They use lots of very appealing terms and concepts related to values, character, attitude, etc.  The people who are happy with Hyde seem to fit a pattern, perhaps people who really like structure and authority figures.  I get the sense that many people who go to Hyde end up feeling frustrated, angry, or worse, and then go somewhere else.  That scares me.  

Beneath the surface, I'm getting the sense that Hyde is a much more complicated and controversial place than their official materials suggest.  I keep seeing lots of references to cult qualities and lots of mention of some very arrogant staffers.  I'm also concerned about the groups that everyone is required to participate in.  I'm more than willing to look at my own stuff and our family dynamics, but everything I read tells me that Hyde's groups aren't run by professionals but, rather, teachers and other staff.  This seems quite risky to me, given what I know about the kinds of personal issues that usually come up in these groups.  

I've also read many comments about how many Hyde students come to the school with some pretty serious emotional and psychological problems.  Am I right that Hyde doesn't have any mental health staff on campus?  That too is very troubling, and very different from every other school I've looked at that serves this kind of struggling teenager.

(To answer your question, I Googled Hyde and found this web site several pages into their listings.  I'm trying to find everything I can about this school.  You mentioned other websites.  Which others should I look at?)

Thanks.

Okay, first:  I don't know of other sites that deal with this kind of info re. Hyde (perhaps I misunderstood you or mistated myself, my apologies if so).  I've heard of chat rooms and the like but these usu. entail a sign-in and I'm relatively protective of my privacy (mostly because of Hyde and the way they've dealt with me).

2nd, let me try to deal with some of your specifics.  The groups are run by staff, i.e., teachers, teacher-administrators; the family groups might even have a gung-ho parent get involved but that has been a rare experience.  No, no one is trained.  Well, they are 'trained' the Hyde way, by other staffers.  And yes, there is a lot of excess, and it generally is not dealt with in a loving fashion, if you get my drift.  Those that emote more believablly and with more gut-wrenching material are regarded as being more 'in touch' with themselves, and generally achieve more success in the character development arena.  [It has also been my experience that kids more academically inclined are regarded as being more 'out of touch' with themselves, as well as the analogous assessment of character development; and likewise for the parents.]

There are no mental health personnel involved with the school to my knowledge.  Issues that would ordinarily be thus addressed are generally regarded as 'character development' issues by Hyde, regardless of whatever lip service they give to parents.

How one sees Hyde living up to its espoused ideals often depends in large part, with some exceptions to be sure, on how one measures up (as per Hyde) in the character development department.  Perhaps most disturbing -- despite all the avowed rhetoric re. truth, etc. -- is Hyde's complete unwillingness to admit mistakes and mistreatment when these indeed have happened, let alone apologize for what have sometimes amounted to life-changing wounds in kids' psyches.

It has generally been my experience, as well as observation, that an awful lot is excused if the presumed goals are laudatory enough, which is a very dangerous situation indeed.  Under the guise of tough-love-type confrontations, many thinly veiled witchhunts and axe-grinders have met their marks.  Of course, some people really believe their effluents, all the sadder for the damage done.

For the money that you would spend at Hyde, you'd do far better at a more middle of the road type place that would at least give your child a good education.

I am a former student, not exactly a fan of the place; do feel free to take my words with the appropriate grain of salt.

I am also a parent, of a child with developmental issues, and spend way more time dealing with inappropriate school systems than I care to admit to.

all my best!   :D

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:10:56 PM »

Thank you.

Thanks.
Okay, first:  I don't know of other sites that deal with this kind of info re. Hyde (perhaps I misunderstood you or mistated myself, my apologies if so).  I've heard of chat rooms and the like but these usu. entail a sign-in and I'm relatively protective of my privacy (mostly because of Hyde and the way they've dealt with me).

2nd, let me try to deal with some of your specifics.  The groups are run by staff, i.e., teachers, teacher-administrators; the family groups might even have a gung-ho parent get involved but that has been a rare experience.  No, no one is trained.  Well, they are 'trained' the Hyde way, by other staffers.  And yes, there is a lot of excess, and it generally is not dealt with in a loving fashion, if you get my drift.  Those that emote more believablly and with more gut-wrenching material are regarded as being more 'in touch' with themselves, and generally achieve more success in the character development arena.  [It has also been my experience that kids more academically inclined are regarded as being more 'out of touch' with themselves, as well as the analogous assessment of character development; and likewise for the parents.]

There are no mental health personnel involved with the school to my knowledge.  Issues that would ordinarily be thus addressed are generally regarded as 'character development' issues by Hyde, regardless of whatever lip service they give to parents.

How one sees Hyde living up to its espoused ideals often depends in large part, with some exceptions to be sure, on how one measures up (as per Hyde) in the character development department.  Perhaps most disturbing -- despite all the avowed rhetoric re. truth, etc. -- is Hyde's complete unwillingness to admit mistakes and mistreatment when these indeed have happened, let alone apologize for what have sometimes amounted to life-changing wounds in kids' psyches.

It has generally been my experience, as well as observation, that an awful lot is excused if the presumed goals are laudatory enough, which is a very dangerous situation indeed.  Under the guise of tough-love-type confrontations, many thinly veiled witchhunts and axe-grinders have met their marks.  Of course, some people really believe their effluents, all the sadder for the damage done.

For the money that you would spend at Hyde, you'd do far better at a more middle of the road type place that would at least give your child a good education.

I am a former student, not exactly a fan of the place; do feel free to take my words with the appropriate grain of salt.

I am also a parent, of a child with developmental issues, and spend way more time dealing with inappropriate school systems than I care to admit to.

Thank you so much for sharing your comments and observations.  This is the kind of helpful information I'm looking for.  Everything you're saying about Hyde seems to confirm what I've been reading and hearing.  I realize other Hyde parents may have different views, but your comments are very similar to others I've gotten.  Even if this isn't everyone's experience at Hyde, it certainly seems to be what many people experience, and that is what really concerns me.  Your points about the "I'm right, you're wrong" stance that you say many Hyde staff take is a major red flag in my book.  I've seen that kind of arrogance and self-righteousness elsewhere and am determined to steer clear of it.  The absence of mental health professionals at Hyde really concerns me too, given my kid's needs.  I don't understand how a school like Hyde can accept these kinds of students without any mental health resources.  That seems very odd to me, and dangerous.

You've been very, very helpful.  I appreciate your generosity and insights.  Thanks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:21:09 AM »

Thank you.

I encourage any parent who is considering Hyde for their child to ask some hard, pointed questions about the school.  I STRONGLY recommend that you avoid taking the school's publications and admissions rhetoric at face value.  Hyde is a very controversial school run by very controversial people.  You will find some families that like Hyde and, I guarantee you, many families that are horrified by what they've experienced at Hyde.

I think you should seek out people who have been at Hyde for some time, including those who like the school and those who don't.  Ask probing questions about the use of intimidation tactics, requirements to self-disclose on group meetings (parents and students), the quality of mental health staff and services (I don't think there are any), the academic qualifications of the teachers, the number of people who leave Hyde every year, enrollment trends, the number of Hyde graduates who actually finish (not start) college, the influence of Joe Gauld.

This is the information I wish I'd known.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »

Thank you.

I encourage any parent who is considering Hyde for their child to ask some hard, pointed questions about the school.  I STRONGLY recommend that you avoid taking the school's publications and admissions rhetoric at face value.  Hyde is a very controversial school run by very controversial people.  You will find some families that like Hyde and, I guarantee you, many families that are horrified by what they've experienced at Hyde.

I think you should seek out people who have been at Hyde for some time, including those who like the school and those who don't.  Ask probing questions about the use of intimidation tactics, requirements to self-disclose on group meetings (parents and students), the quality of mental health staff and services (I don't think there are any), the academic qualifications of the teachers, the number of people who leave Hyde every year, enrollment trends, the number of Hyde graduates who actually finish (not start) college, the influence of Joe Gauld.

I would like to add to the recommendations.  I recommend that any parent who is thinking about sending their child to Hyde take a close look at a web site that posts information about controversial (and in many cases abusive) schools and programs for troubled teens.  I recently discovered that this web site includes some frightening information about Hyde, including a recent lawsuit.  The web site publishes a Watch List, and Hyde is on it.

The web site is:  http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#hyde

This web site includes a link to a valuable article about Hyde, written by a well known journalist.  I found this article to be very enlightening (and it added to my concerns about Hyde). The article raises serious questions about Hyde: http://www.hoover.org/publications/ednext/3251926.html

Here is information about the lawsuit.  Some of the details about Hyde administrators and faculty are chilling (you may have to click on the document to enlarge it):

http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit01.jpg
http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit02.jpg
http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit03.jpg
http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit04.jpg

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 10:08:07 AM »

Thank you.

I would like to add to the recommendations.  I recommend that any parent who is thinking about sending their child to Hyde take a close look at a web site that posts information about controversial (and in many cases abusive) schools and programs for troubled teens.  I recently discovered that this web site includes some frightening information about Hyde, including a recent lawsuit.  The web site publishes a Watch List, and Hyde is on it.

The web site is:  http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#hyde

This web site includes a link to a valuable article about Hyde, written by a well known journalist.  I found this article to be very enlightening (and it added to my concerns about Hyde). The article raises serious questions about Hyde: http://www.hoover.org/publications/ednext/3251926.html

Here is information about the lawsuit.  Some of the details about Hyde administrators and faculty are chilling (you may have to click on the document to enlarge it):

http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit01.jpg
http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit02.jpg
http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit03.jpg
http://www.isaccorp.org/hyde/hydelawsuit04.jpg

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »

Thank you.

Thanks.

You said in your comments that "There are no mental health personnel involved with the school to my knowledge. Issues that would ordinarily be thus addressed are generally regarded as 'character development' issues by Hyde, regardless of whatever lip service they give to parents."

What I'm confused about is, what happens at Hyde when students have major mental health problems?  I've heard from many people I've consulted that many Hyde students have significant diagnoses, such as depression, eating disoders, drug problems, anxiety, etc.  It would seem to me that a school that accepts these kids has to expect that there will be times when the kids really need some mental health counseling.   Are you saying Hyde doesn't have professional mental health counselors on staff?  Aren't there times when student are getting into trouble at Hyde because of their mental health problems?  How does Hyde deal with that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 02:53:59 AM »
You said in your comments that "There are no mental health personnel involved with the school to my knowledge. Issues that would ordinarily be thus addressed are generally regarded as 'character development' issues by Hyde, regardless of whatever lip service they give to parents."

What I'm confused about is, what happens at Hyde when students have major mental health problems? I've heard from many people I've consulted that many Hyde students have significant diagnoses, such as depression, eating disoders, drug problems, anxiety, etc. It would seem to me that a school that accepts these kids has to expect that there will be times when the kids really need some mental health counseling. Are you saying Hyde doesn't have professional mental health counselors on staff? Aren't there times when student are getting into trouble at Hyde because of their mental health problems? How does Hyde deal with that?

I wish I could help you further with this, but I do not know what mental health issues you anticipate coming up.  Let me try... But first let me say that these comments are my opinion and my opinion only, and an opinion based on a Hyde many years ago.  Perhaps things have changed.  Judging from what I've learned and heard, this does NOT appear to be the case, but...  Perhaps a more recent student/participant could also chime in with their two cents?

While I was there, the only medical personnell on staff was the school nurse, who was married to one of the faculty.  If you needed to see a doctor, there was one doctor in town who handled all the Hyde cases, and the school transported you there in their van.  The school nurse made the appts, you had to see her first.  There was no mental health counselor on staff, and I am hard pressed to imagine that there ever would be.  It would go against the grain of everything that Hyde believes in.  

If what you are concerned about is access to an OUTSIDE impartial mental health professional, I would have to venture "no", no access, or at the least, access with great difficulty.  I don't know about conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or similar where meds make a distinct and VISIBLE difference; perhaps there the school might take such issues seriously.   But if your child has issues with depression or anxiety disorder where one can kind of limp along barely surviving (but still limping along), the school tends to not take those conditions seriously (in my personal experience).  I imagine that even if you have a letter from your child's doctor emphatically stating the need for the meds, there will always be a stigma attached while your child is attending, with the insinuation that you and your child are "not facing up to the necessary issues" and are using the need for medication as a crutch.  Again, this is my opinion, this is my experience.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 03:08:17 AM »
Me again.  I thought of something else.  If your child is suffering from any kind of TRAUMA, Hyde would only add fuel to the fire.  These kinds of schools believe in ripping you down before "building you up," which would only add more trauma to the original trauma.  Very bad idea.  In my personal opinon, and experience.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:31:05 AM »

What I'm confused about is, what happens at Hyde when students have major mental health problems? I've heard from many people I've consulted that many Hyde students have significant diagnoses, such as depression, eating disoders, drug problems, anxiety, etc. It would seem to me that a school that accepts these kids has to expect that there will be times when the kids really need some mental health counseling. Are you saying Hyde doesn't have professional mental health counselors on staff? Aren't there times when student are getting into trouble at Hyde because of their mental health problems? How does Hyde deal with that?

I wish I could help you further with this, but I do not know what mental health issues you anticipate coming up.  Let me try... But first let me say that these comments are my opinion and my opinion only, and an opinion based on a Hyde many years ago.  Perhaps things have changed.  Judging from what I've learned and heard, this does NOT appear to be the case, but...  Perhaps a more recent student/participant could also chime in with their two cents?

While I was there, the only medical personnell on staff was the school nurse, who was married to one of the faculty.  If you needed to see a doctor, there was one doctor in town who handled all the Hyde cases, and the school transported you there in their van.  The school nurse made the appts, you had to see her first.  There was no mental health counselor on staff, and I am hard pressed to imagine that there ever would be.  It would go against the grain of everything that Hyde believes in.  

If what you are concerned about is access to an OUTSIDE impartial mental health professional, I would have to venture "no", no access, or at the least, access with great difficulty.  I don't know about conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder or similar where meds make a distinct and VISIBLE difference; perhaps there the school might take such issues seriously.   But if your child has issues with depression or anxiety disorder where one can kind of limp along barely surviving (but still limping along), the school tends to not take those conditions seriously (in my personal experience).  I imagine that even if you have a letter from your child's doctor emphatically stating the need for the meds, there will always be a stigma attached while your child is attending, with the insinuation that you and your child are "not facing up to the necessary issues" and are using the need for medication as a crutch.  Again, this is my opinion, this is my experience.

I can speak from recent personal experience at Hyde.  I left Hyde a couple of years ago.  When I was there I met many studenets who had very serious psychological and psychiartic issues.  I met Hyde students who considered suicide.  I met Hyde students with really serious eating disorders.  I met Hyde students who couldn't control their rage or cut themselves.  I couldn't believe that Hyde didn't have any mental health staff.  None.  And I mean none.  Some kids went to see local counselors, but that was it.  I think this is a very serious problem at Hyde.  Why does the school accept these students?  To fill beds and get tuition money?  Do they really believe this is the kind of school these kinds of kids need?

I'm glad you are publicizing these issues.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:36 AM »
Come to think of it, I used to routinely press thumbtacks all the in into my hands in order to stay awake in class (depression), and no one mentioned anything...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 06:14:44 PM »
You can e mail me ([email protected]) or google THE JEKYLL SIDE OF HYDE to find the report I wrote on my experience at Hyde.

Gary

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
You can e mail me ([email protected]) or google THE JEKYLL SIDE OF HYDE to find the report I wrote on my experience at Hyde.

Gary

Thank you.  I will read your report and possibly get in touch.  I appreciate it; you've been most helpful.