Author Topic: What happened to compassion and empathy?  (Read 9803 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
What happened to compassion and empathy?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
I don't like relying on others and not being in control.

I might live in, say, new york STATE, but not the city. HELLLLLLLL no.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »
Ah well that is the beauty my friend. I apologize to all who are sick of ther NY advert I will stop soon
but the other beauty of NY for those not a fan of PT is its geographical compactness. You can walk everywhere. I lost a lot of weight there because i walked a lot and i couldnt afford food. Nobody really even needs to be trapped in a hunk of metal. Trust me Sinatra was right about NY
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 05:13:35 AM »
That UNICEF report was utter bunk.
it determined child welfare by entirely arbitrary measures  (such as proportion of children who have smoked pot)
seemingly randomly constructed standards and used totally out of date information. I don't think anything constructive is going to come out of that.

Now if you look at hard measures, such as proportion of children living in poverty, or proportion of the population incarcerated etc then America still qualifies as the worst place in the developed world world to be a child. Just don't take unicefs word for it.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 08:51:07 AM »
Why does Unicef and the UN hate america and the UK? Don't those fuckers know they wouldn't exist without our moneys and leadership? Let the fuckers rot in their in third world cesspools, build a wall and let em rot if they dont like it here. Fuck the UN.

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""

Nor would I - New Yorks a great pace don;t get me wrong, but I couldn't live there, hell afatre a week I wante dto go home badly, its so noisy and busy and bustling, I wanted my farm life back  :(

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »

Niles, you're a pervert, and a dom. Two words: San Francisco.

I expect to see you at the Power Exchange every Saturday. It's mostly straight now, anyway.

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Why does Unicef and the UN hate america and the UK? Don't those fuckers know they wouldn't exist without our moneys and leadership? Let the fuckers rot in their in third world cesspools, build a wall and let em rot if they dont like it here. Fuck the UN.

"the U.N. is incapable of anything. Those people love living in the City because most of their home countries are shit holes. The U.N. is bumbling, corrupt, incapable of anything worthwhile. Rwanda. Kosovo is still a mess and Clark, Clinton and Albright should be tried as war criminals. What will U.N. backing do? Have you heard about Christian churches being torched in the former Yugoslavia by Muslims? Wait, the U.N. was there, but the U.N. troops ran away, now you have a big mess. Where is the liberal outcry over that? . .  Kick the U.N. the fuck out of New York, get some taxes from that property for the City coffers, that would be something worthwhile, the U.N. is a joke and people like Hussein know/knew it. How many U.N. resolutions did Saddam blow off?"

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
So just dont drive a car boys. Use the outstanding public transport system. Of course new York is crowded and dirty. Full of huddled  masses yearning to be free. This is what makes it so fun!!!!!!

+ its people are not anywhere near as rude as everyone seems to think. Frankly i was a little disappointed on this socre. When i went there as a poor ans somewhat naive young backpacker from a provincial city, i was almost looking forward to some big city attitude. All i got was nice 50 year old jewish ladies with thick brooklyn accents telling me i should be careful because it is a dangerous city. i began to wonder if Judge Judy would Mug me.

Also though obscenely expensive, the beauty is you can have fun just walking around or people watching. You can do stuff on the cheap it just takes some effort. Find out when the free evenings and days at museums are.

Really Niles dont listen to Ant on this. New york is worth having to reside in a flat roughtly the side of a shower cubicle, paying 20 bucks for a coffee and being shoved on the peak hour subway because it makes you feel alive. Go there for a bit while you are still young.

Come to think of it, I would not trade my NYC experiences for anything. I think I just got too old for the rat race. Once you have kids and become family focused, NYC is just crowded, polluted, and expensive.

Still, part of me thinks my kid is lucky he is growing up there. He has seen the Macy's Day Parade in person, been at Times Square for New Year's, visited all the best museums, been to the top of both the World Trade Center and Empire State Building, seen broadway shows, and had countless other experiences. Because of this urban background, he is at home anywhere and has 'attitude' that only big city kids have.

Charlotte, NC is pretty much a boring, hick town by comparison. But I like it here. My four bedroom house is cheaper than my one bedroom hovel in NJ (could not afford to live right in NYC), my commute is one-third the time and way less stressful. My neighbors are friendly. It's relaxing. I like that right now.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
Hey Ant, my best friend lives in Charlotte now. He and his boyfriend have a nice 4 bedroom, which is great for his son. His commute right now is terrible, because he is teaching at a high school about an hour away. He's looking for a closer gig at the moment.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2007, 10:06:52 PM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""

Niles, you're a pervert, and a dom. Two words: San Francisco.

I expect to see you at the Power Exchange every Saturday. It's mostly straight now, anyway.

Ok so are they actually attractive and not the rednecks in dated lingerie that I see all the time in personals?

Oh, wait, I LIVE IN THE FUCKING STICKS.  :x

Why did this thread turn into get Niles a date anyway?  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 12:00:12 AM »
Why did this thread turn into get Niles a date anyway?

Probably because I wandered in and threw an irrelevant wrench into the works.

However, contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of straight and available women in San Fran. I have my eye on at least one of them.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
I'd be "that southern guy without the accent" for years if I ever left this hellhole of a geographical area.

Oh boy!

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:58 AM »
I'd be "that southern guy without the accent" for years if I ever left this hellhole of a geographical area.

Oh boy!

Doesn't matter. Almost everyone in SF is a transplant anyway.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 12:05:04 AM »
That would be a good thing then... seeing as culture is such a foreign concept to me, as well as things like "community" and "things to do"  :rofl:

I do know I'd probably need to print out glossy pamphlets to explain what I'd be driving, but I bet kinkos wouldn't mind my business with them.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 12:11:42 AM »
Nobody would care what you'd be driving, cause it's impossible to park anywhere. I think Paula Poundstone said something like "I feel bad for homeless people, but I feel even worse for all of those people who are homeless simply because they can't find a place to park so they can go home."