Author Topic: Shocking  (Read 4985 times)

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:35:37 PM »
Another article on JRC

link

Aversives

By: Polyxane S. Cobb

A toddler reaches up toward the handle of the pot on the stove where the soup has just come to a boil. His mother slaps the hand away, turns the handle inward, and then goes to comfort the crying child. What she has just done is employ an aversive technique. No one would fault her intervention, nor the seriousness of the consequence if she had not intervened. But everyone would also acknowledge that the intervention would not have been necessary had the handle of the pot not been within reach of the toddler.

Aversives, quite simply, are negative consequences for undesired behaviors. They can be mild. "if you get your clothes dirty you don?t get ice cream for dessert," or severe, "clean your room or you?re grounded for a month!" They can also be invasive such as spanks or slaps.

When employed as part of a behavioral program for children and adults with developmental disabilities, the matter is rightfully of public interest, The principle question always is: are aversives effective? And what do we mean by effective anyway?

States throughout the US have banned aversives. A number of states such as California, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York have actually passed legislation banning the use of aversive techniques. In Massachusetts we have failed to ban aversives. One school has been identified with the use of these methods?Judge Rotenberg Center (JRC) and it has successfully fought legislation to terminate its use.

Aversive Therapy promises that dangerous, anti-social, self-injurious behaviors will be eliminated through the use of punishments. It works on the assumption that when people are punished for bad behavior, they will stop it and, instead, do whatever it is the people in control consider desirable. But is there any evidence at all that it works?

The indications that any behavioral therapy is successful are fairly straightforward:

1: The undesirable targeted behaviors are eliminated,

2: The therapy can be withdrawn slowly until it ceases altogether and the undesirable behaviors remain eliminated, and

3: Desirable behaviors are acquired as part of the process

Although the indications that a therapy is successful are straightforward, the process of developing those techniques and applying them to individuals is far more complex. Every behavior must be analyzed. The environment and its components must be scrutinized. The general health and well being of the student must be known and appreciated. Once all that is done, each behavior must be targeted separately so that it is clear to the student what the behavior is that is generating the intervention.

The Judge Rotenberg Center (JRC) has, over the years, employed a variety of techniques it has labeled "therapy." These procedures include electric shocks from a device strapped to the student and activated by a remote control, food deprivation, as well as spanks, water sprayed in the face or nostrils, forcing the student to eat jalapeƱo peppers or other odious foods, and denial of ordinary comforts.

To my knowledge, neither the school, nor Matthew Israel, the Director, has ever submitted data, with replicatable methodology, demonstrating the success of any of these therapies?none?to any journal for peer review. In light of the highly invasive nature of many of these procedures, that unwillingness to submit the work to peer review is striking. Since JRC so vehemently proclaims the success of its techniques, this unwillingness to share the information with other schools that might wish to test the "success" of these techniques is also notable.

However, the school?s use of aversives and painful techniques directly contradicts the policies of three national organizations: The Arc, AAMR (American Association on Mental Retardation) and TASH (the organization has existed since 1974; the acronym once stood for The Association of Persons with Severe Handicaps). No one can deny that these organizations represent the largest family and professional groups dedicated to individuals with cognitive disabilities. TASH states as the purpose of its resolution on "positive Behavioral Supports," is?"to afford the rights of people with disabilities to receive interventions that are respectful, free of pain and produce changes for the individuals." It?"calls for the cessation of the use of any educational, psychological, or behavioral intervention that exhibits some or all of the following characteristics:

? dehumanization through the use of procedures that are normally unacceptable in community environments for persons who are not labeled with a disability;

? obvious signs of physical pain experienced by the individual;

? physical injury and potential or actual side effects such as tissue damage, physical illness, and/or severe physical or emotional stress."

The Arc and AAMR in a joint resolution state: "Our constituents are frequently subjected to aversive and deprivation procedures that may cause physical and/or psychological harm and are dehumanizing. Furthermore, aversive procedures result in the loss of dignity and inhibit full participation in and acceptance by society." Thus, the organizations call for behavioral interventions or supports that are?"individually designed, positive, help them learn new skills, provide alternatives to challenging behaviors, offer opportunities for choice and social integration, and allow for environmental modifications."

Aversive therapy is still possible in Massachusetts, despite the overwhelming opposition of these organization.

Murray Sidman, often called the father of modern behavioral analysis has researched just this question. He writes:

Many retarded and autistic children are ordinarily ignored because they are considered to be emotional and intellectual vegetables, unable to appreciate or adapt to their environment. But they sometimes discover that if they damage themselves, hitting, scratching, clawing, lacerating themselves and drawing blood, they bring the whole community down on them; they make themselves the center of attention. These children have been taught, albeit unknowingly by their teachers, to administer pain to themselves as the only way to gain attention. The proof comes when we then provide the same attention for constructive acts; the self-abuse ceases.

The effects of prolonged punishments as a behavioral tool are pronounced. First, punished people become acclimated to punishments. The procedures thus begin to lose effectiveness. The severity of the punishment must then be increased in an ever-increasing spiral. Proponents of aversives such as JRC argue that self-injurious behaviors are so destructive and inexplicable that analyzing the behavior is unlikely to illuminate its cause. Proponents acknowledge that punishments must be continued indefinitely, but they argue, the few young people who engage in these behaviors are fundamentally different than other people. One cannot analyze why they are doing what they are doing, one can only respond.

A second side effect of prolonged punishments is that the student begins to focus on nothing except his stress. He cannot acquire new and useful skills because he is always in a state of fear and apprehension.

A third side effect is that instead of viewing teachers and staff as helpers, they are transformed into negative reinforcers. An approach by the staffer, no matter how benevolent that person?s intentions at the moment, is viewed by the student as a threat and the action as the onset of a cycle of punishment. The very people who should be seen as helpful are, instead, seen as hurtful.

Eventually a state of behavioral depression overtakes the student. He becomes lethargic, anxious, and is often described as zombie-like. An important sense of freedom and personal security has been driven out of his world by the unrelenting fear of punishment.

This is the bleak, unrelenting future for students treated with such aversive procedures. Since their undesired behaviors are only suppressed, they cannot graduate to less intrusive programs where the suppressed behaviors will re-surface absent the punishments. So organizations employing aversives proclaim a stasis effect: a low level of punishments keeps these students controlled, it maintains, the way insulin controls diabetes.

Students in other programs which do not use aversives and with successes that include progressing to less restrictive environments are regarded by organizations such as JRC as less "involved" than their students. By applying ciurcular reasoning, proponents oof aversives claim that: if a student can live outside of the initial program he was not as challenged in the first place. The proof, therefore, that aversives "work" is that JRC students can never leave the program!

So What Does Work?

Severe behaviors always have a rational, if sometimes complicated root. As Sidman pointed out, the young person might simply be trying to get attention but doesn?t have a constructive way to do it. He may be in pain or other distress and not have the communicative powers to describe his predicament. He may be trying to do something else entirely and not have the physical refinement to achieve his goal. Whatever the reason, the destructive behaviors focus the attention of caregivers with a power few other actions hold.

The non-aversive techniques to resolve these negative behaviors and replace them with constructive behaviors are varied, but all contain many of the same elements. Techniques such as Gentle Teaching (see www.inala.org.au/behaviour/strategies.htm), the ABC method and others all promote:

? a careful analysis of the targeted behaviors,

? systematic interventions that include ignoring the behavior (but not the person),

? activities that redirect the attention of the person, providing alternative behaviors, and, most critically, numerous and generous rewards for exhibiting desired behaviors.

The rewards are the critical element simply because we all are more willing to engage in behaviors if we are rewarded for them. The most important reward is approval?not candy, not money, not a trip to the mall?approval. And when instituting a behavioral program, the generous use of approval for all desired or acceptable behaviors creates a positive atmosphere that stimulates the young person to engage in ever more frequent positive behaviors.

If Positive techniques are so great, how come they don?t work on JRC students?

Positive techniques do work on JRC students and elsewhere.. The few who have been moved to other facilities where positive approaches are the norm have flourished. Some have found jobs and become taxpayers. Others have moved into community residences and day programs where positives only approaches are used. None have been transferred back to a program that uses aversives. Indeed, schools like JRC maintain that they do use positive techniques and their students still engage in self-destructive and aggressive acts. In the example of JRC, it?s true, the offer rewards in the form of chits that students can cash in for time in the Big Reward Store and rewards delivered to the students? workstations, but the backbone of the program is the use of aversives. Positive approaches, however, must be comprehensive. The initial approach, the constant motivator, and the underlying theme of the program must be positive.

States throughout the US have banned aversives. California, Connecticut, Florida, North & South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, and Colorado have all passed legislation banning the use of aversive techniques. Some are more comprehensive than others, but all have shown a strong inclination to promote the dignity and personal autonomy of people with developmental disabilities. It is a step Massachusetts has yet to take.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline FLCLcowdude

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »
I hope that these people burn in hell for this. Sick child pedophiles. There is no excuse to do that to a kid. I couldn't even finish reading the article, I don't want to lose my appetite right before dinner.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
Shocking
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
tonight on primetime there is a special at 9 pm est for those who get television, check your local channels, primetime is ABC... tonights expose is on couples with genetic matches that are in love,

but the second half is about a school in massachusetts that uses electric skin shocks on autistic children as a way to control their behavior...

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
I'd rather splatter my brains all over this monitor than watch that.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:27 PM »
Quote from: ""mbnh31782""
tonight on primetime there is a special at 9 pm est for those who get television, check your local channels, primetime is ABC... tonights expose is on couples with genetic matches that are in love,

but the second half is about a school in massachusetts that uses electric skin shocks on autistic children as a way to control their behavior...

I'm glad I wasn't able to see that because I was at work. It would have TOTALLY ruined my nice little happy/hope trip.

Now dont talk about that before I flip out and give them a few shocks for ruining my night.  :evil:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 11:06:27 PM »
I watched and at the moment I'm speechless, so much of what I  believed about programs that others have called generalizations and assumptions  was confirmed by this story.

Everything that program survivors have said about their parents, "insanedeadorjail", and brainwashing was demonstrated in that segment. Watching that show has strengthened my resolve to fight this bs. I'm convinced children need a bill of rights to protect them from stupid, selfish, or desperate parents and the fucked up version of therapy being pushed by heartless quacks.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
Well damn. I posted the notice and forgot to watch. What I get for not putting it in my daytimer. Oh well. I completely understand the gist. When you come out of shell shock, perhaps you can share more of what was covered in the expose.

Ultimately, how much sense does it make to warehose kids with 'whatever' "disorder" and treat them in a factory production manner?
I can't imagine having 10-15-20 autistic kids in my care simultaneously. Of course, IF I didn't know what I know, I might be looking for the easiest, most 'effective' way to keep them 'under control'.
Why aren't we questioning the whole practice of warehousing? Particularly with this population which so deparately seem to need one-on-one.

I was sickened by the response of the parents to the latest murder of an autistic kid in RTC. They were fighting the state to improve regulations and oversight due to abuse their son had endured in a prior facility, when their he was killed in the new facility they had moved him to.  Get a clue.... NO one is going to care about your kid the way you will/sh0uld!!! You can't force them, manipulate them, legislate them to. That is a useless fantasy. Quit your job and stay home with the child you were meant to raise.
Lawmakers are calling for "Jonathan's Law". How thoughtful. Do they have any clue how many kids have died in RTCs? And specifically from restraint? This ain't new. It's quiet old.
http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-8&o ... an%20Carey
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 07:15:27 AM »
Quoted by Deborah:
Why aren't we questioning the whole practice of warehousing?

I've pointed out before that we "warehouse" our kids from the time we put them in daycare.  At six weeks old we put them in institutions for the purposes of gainful employment.  For some it's absolute economic survival.  For others it's for the bigger house, nicer cars, the boat, the annual vacations, etc.

Warehousing our kids doesn't start when we place out of control teens in hell hole boarding schools.  It starts from the cradle.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »
Just where are you trying to go with this, TS?

Offline Infinity

• View Profile
    • http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com/
Shocking
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 08:51:24 AM »
The idea that kids who don't have parents who care about them and spend time with them turn out "troubled"?

Yeah, that's pretty obvious.

Well, kids whose parents smother them turn out that way too, but you know.
size=9]It doesn\'t stop after high school...
The Student Voice[/size]

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »
Ganja~
I'm simply pointing out (in reference to Deborahs question) that we should question the prudence of "warehousing" our children.  And that IMHO, the trend of institionlizing our children does not begin when parents place their teens in RTC's, EGBS's, or TBS'.  I think that in some families ... (stressing again that I'm not referring to parents who must work to feed and clothe themselves) we are quick to put our kids in mega daycares.  And to be frank ... they are doing so to chase more materials.  In our culture, that is an acceptable practice.

Further more ... in many school districts .... the institution of school now offers breakfast, lunch and after school snacks ... daycare.  There are two schools in our district that will hold your grade school age child until 6 pm.  That puts some children in "the system" for up to 12 hours.

My point?  It just shouldn't shock us to the degree that it does when teens are "warehoused".  For I believe that as a culture we endorse warehousing them from the cradle.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
Neglect and smothering(restrictive-control) can produce the same thing because they're born of the same seed, selfishness.

The parents in the news story were constantly saying how after therapy(torture) they could hug their children, go to a restaurant as a family, and act like the Jone's. The Doctor(Isreal something) trumpeted his unproven and untested treatment(bullshit) as working faster then any other treatment(instant gratification?) in changing self destructive autistic behavior. My point is this, the parents care more about what they get out of their kids then they do about their kids. Most of the parents said that their children were acting out violently and injuring themselves, In the program the kids are injured by a third party. The only difference is that in the program the kids are hurt and compliant, not social "embarrassments" that require sacrifice/vigilance and patiences.  

It may seem strange but selfishness masquerading as love is nothing new. The controlling husband's use of love to justify his abusive behavior is one of the more obvious forms of selfishness portrayed as love in the context of smothering/restrictive-control. On the neglectful end of the selfish spectrum you have the deadbeat father, no need to explain that one.

The selfishness of these parents allows them to overlook obvious abuse because they have convinced themselves that they are providing a service, out of love, for the needs of their special children. By putting the focus on the child's behavior and not on that of themselves the parents are effectively tricking themselves into viewing their actions as benevolent.
Despite their own self treachery however it's obvious that the parents know that what their children are being put through is abusive because they're quick to justify it by blaming the child's behavior and the "failure" of the more time consuming therapies.

God please forgive me, but I want a camera there when the parents finally acknowledge what they already know is true, that their paying for the torture of their autistic children.

Howto]

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »
Man the program-parents are out in full support of their program abcnews-forum
Am  I being punked? these people can't be real, but yeah I know they are so sad......

Fuck I gotta take a break from this stuff my heart is breaking....

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Shocking
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 11:25:52 PM »
It honestly doesn't matter what they write there. ABC's used to forum zerg.

Even on the tiny chance that they're real, several hundred program parents don't have the power of one angry [deleted] activist.

JRC's going down the hard way.