Author Topic: The Essential Punk...  (Read 7241 times)

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »
In spite of my Pistol-mockery, I will grant that The Filth ANd The Fury, produced by Julian Temple, is one of the finest Rock and Roll movies ever made.  An excellent biopic of the rise and fall of a musical phenomenon, and it makes the point that by the end of the Pistol's first UK tour, the scene had already been co-opted by rich kids playing dress up.

An excellent film, regardless of your take on the Sex Pistols.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 01:50:14 AM »
All of my top picks have been named so I'll add the lesser known

No Wave: DNA, Sonic Youth, Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, Glenn Branca.....

Deerhoof is a newer(compared to the others) band but they have a lot in common with the old no wavers, and I like them. so.........

However all of these bands mentioned in this thread are owned by The Shaggs
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 03:35:16 AM »
Rocket From The Tombs  (Ground Zero, Cleveland)
Sham 69
Stiff Little Fingers
The Stranglers
Wire, the debut Pink Flag
Killing Joke, S/T debut
Johnny Thunders, LAMF
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 03:52:12 AM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
All of my top picks have been named so I'll add the lesser known

No Wave: DNA, Sonic Youth, Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, Glenn Branca.....

Deerhoof is a newer(compared to the others) band but they have a lot in common with the old no wavers, and I like them. so.........

However all of these bands mentioned in this thread are owned by The Shaggs

"My Pal Foot-Foot" caused synapses to fuse in my brain and I swore off psychedelics...
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
The Shaggs definitely fall into that "weirdest music I've ever heard" category.

Naively creepy, they sound like they could have formed in the looney bin..    :rofl: ::madclown::

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 06:02:24 PM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""

Naively creepy, they sound like they could have formed in the looney bin..    :rofl: ::madclown::

They did,

Father was a hippie.................
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 11:40:55 PM »
Quote from: ""Froderik""

They did,

Father was a hippie.................

I don't believe their father was a hippie, if you're referring to the Shaggs dad and not your own.

Meet The Shaggs http://www.shaggs.com/meet_the_shaggs.html

WHERE else would Austin Wiggin have got the idea that his daughters should form a rock band? Neither he nor his wife, Annie, was musical; she much preferred television to music, and he, at most, fooled around with a Jew's harp. He wasn't a showoff, dying to be noticed-by all accounts he was an ornery loner who had little to do with other people in town. He was strict and old-fashioned, not a hippie manqu

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
The Monks
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 11:51:03 PM »
What other 60's Beat band was made up of U.S. soldiers who stayed in Germany after their tour of duty  to create some brutal, weird music.  They wore monks' robes on stage, sported tonsures, and featured a frantic banjo player.  Gary Burger choked some sounds out of his guitar that would have fucked with Lou Reed's head.  Get "Black Monk Time", find out why Sonic Youth thinks these guys were the shit.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: The Monks
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
What other 60's Beat band was made up of U.S. soldiers who stayed in Germany after their tour of duty  to create some brutal, weird music.  They wore monks' robes on stage, sported tonsures, and featured a frantic banjo player.  Gary Burger choked some sounds out of his guitar that would have fucked with Lou Reed's head.  Get "Black Monk Time", find out why Sonic Youth thinks these guys were the shit.

What band are you talking about here?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 02:43:57 PM »
He's talking about the Monks.  It's in the subject line if the post didn't clue you in  Good stuff, definite garage classics.

RTP2oo3

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
I could of sower that I read something a few years back that said pop was a hippie  ::eek3::

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The Essential Punk...
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 02:54:55 PM »
I first became aware of the Shaggs in a book called "The Best Bands You've Never Heard" or something like that, it was all about obscure cult favorites.   I think the father was more of a mainstream kook than a hippy, just some weirdo who really liked music and thought his daughters had talent of sorts, which I think they do.  There's a lot of other cool bands mentioned in that book, definitely worth checking it out if you can find it, it will turn you on to a lot of cool sounds you probably haven't heard before, or even known of.

RTP

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 03:09:56 PM »

Sounds good, I'll check them out

I'm still trying to get a copy of Metal Machine Music.....

Howto]

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
I'm still trying to get a copy of Metal Machine Music.....

ARRRRGHHH!  I had that on 8-track when I was in High School.  We abused drugs and listened to that feedback-vacuum cleaner- in- it's death -agonies whine constantly, everyone being jarred when the tape jumped tracks.

A friend of mine went  too far with his acid intake and would sit on the floor with his guitar, trying to play all the "melodies"  he was hearing in MMM.  The terrible thing was, I started to hear them, too.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
A friend of mine went  too far with his acid intake and would sit on the floor with his guitar, trying to play all the "melodies"  he was hearing in MMM.  The terrible thing was, I started to hear them, too.

:rofl:  :o  :rofl: