Author Topic: come back  (Read 3587 times)

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
come back
« on: December 31, 2006, 12:38:26 PM »
have any you who went though a wasp program read "Come Back?"  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
leveland chick 76-77

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:06:58 AM »
You've got to be kidding.  A book comes out about a mother and daughters experience in a wasp program and no one here has read it!
Somebody has to have read it but no reactions?  Is it because it's perspective was pro-program?  Doesn't anybody want to counter that view?   Really I am interested.
leveland chick 76-77

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
I think the problem might be you must buy it, to read it. Maybe a lot of folks feel like I do: No way in hell I'm paying for that programmed propaganda.

I have talked to a few who have read it. I can tell you what they told me - that the mother comes across as some kind of nut. Apparently she allowed her EX, whom she knew was molesting the child, to continue unsupervised visitation. So while the mom is apparently intelligent and educated - she is also some kind of fruit cake - a half baked one at that.

I'm told the daughter comes across as a very intelligent and introspective person; so I am wondering what kind of book she might be writing five or six years from now. Maybe I'll buy that one.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »
Quote from: ""BuzzKill""
I'm told the daughter comes across as a very intelligent and introspective person; so I am wondering what kind of book she might be writing five or six years from now. Maybe I'll buy that one.

Ditto  :tup: Kinda like, "why aren't you christians buying the book of mormon?"
Did it reveal (inadvertantly) any of W's austere abuse?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
I picked it up at the library.

I read it in because the it had the both the mother and daughters perspective but I ended up wondering, as you mentioned, what the daughter might write in 5-10 years.  I didn't even begin to understand how damaging the seed had been to me until I was in my twenties and I was graduated and gone from the seed by the time I was 14..

The sexual abuse wasn't nearly that simple.  As she told it she didn't just let the abusing parent keep seeing her daughter the courts wouldn't grant her the right to refuse him visitation.  Still she struck me as the sort of parent who is suseptable to trouble teen programs, The sort of person who thinks pot and heroin are equally serious drugs, disassociated and judgemental though she admits as much as the story progresses crediting the program for changing her.

It did bring up a lot of stuff for me but the specifics of the program were very different than the seed so I wondered what folks who have been though a wasp program might see that I missed.
leveland chick 76-77

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »
I read it. ( I did not go through a programme) Was more well written than you might think.
The mum came across as a bitch. Judgmental of everyone from the gothic girl her daughter was freinds with to french backpackers!  She was also crazy enough to know Dad was molesting Mia but still give him access visits. Apparently the fact that she gave him a piece of her mind would be enough to stop him.  He magical turnaround came not so much from realising her own flaws but seeing her kids. It is always the 15 year olds fault!
What was interesting about the mum was that while programmes talk a lot of "entitlement" issues on the part of the kids mum was the queen of this mentality. She not only felt entitled to special treatment from the police but also seemed amazed that a country just coming out of years of communism should not have all the convieniences that she was used to in the US. There is a scene where she actually tells the police that they should prioritise her daughters case over other runaways because she is from a private school!
Mia was an interesting figure. i think she wanted to feel "saved" or healed by something so WWASP was it. i think even if she does change her mind in 5 years she will never tell
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline 001010

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »
A book that was written to promote WWASPS?

I woudn't waste my time...

I'd pick it up to throw it in a fire.
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
I read it. ( I did not go through a programme) Was more well written than you might think.
The mum came across as a bitch. Judgmental of everyone from the gothic girl her daughter was freinds with to french backpackers!  She was also crazy enough to know Dad was molesting Mia but still give him access visits. Apparently the fact that she gave him a piece of her mind would be enough to stop him.  He magical turnaround came not so much from realising her own flaws but seeing her kids. It is always the 15 year olds fault!
What was interesting about the mum was that while programmes talk a lot of "entitlement" issues on the part of the kids mum was the queen of this mentality. She not only felt entitled to special treatment from the police but also seemed amazed that a country just coming out of years of communism should not have all the convieniences that she was used to in the US. There is a scene where she actually tells the police that they should prioritise her daughters case over other runaways because she is from a private school!
Mia was an interesting figure. i think she wanted to feel "saved" or healed by something so WWASP was it. i think even if she does change her mind in 5 years she will never tell

Did you read the whole book? I only ask because the mother's character changes dramatically over the course of events. That makes sense, since she was chronicling a process of change. I thought she went out of her way to be honest about her own faults, and about where the daughter got her attitude.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:32:46 AM »
Yes i did read the whole book. The mum claimed some kind of magical transformation, but there was not much actual evidence of it. It was all about giving herself absolution for her daughters problems!

If Mia had gone with an Exit Plan and walked that bitch would have cut her off in a heartbeat!
And what of the total denial about why morava was shut. The local chief of Police was so disgusted by the treatment of those kids that he wanted to call the FBI and report their PARENTS for letting them go there. Think about it a hard bitten police chief in a post soviet eastern block country thinks Morava was way harsh! I dont imagine this man was some kind of let it all hang out liberalist hippy now!  Yet Mia and Claire are happy to claim it was puzzling and devistating that they closed morava!

If anybody wants to read this without putting money into something that promotes WWASP PM me your address. i am happy to photocopy my version and post it to you. it makes for interesting reading. i got a good insight into the philosophy of WWASP and it is well written.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 09:14:04 AM »
I hope you understand why I put so much emphasis on parental responsibility in a program like WWASPS. The parents are heavily involved in the program, both in recrcruiting other students and with the seminars.

WWASPS is a cult, that is more for the parent than the child. The child is held incommunicado, and brainwashed, while the parent gets into the cult even further, until by the time the child is sent them the whole family is indoctrinated.

This mother through writing this book, is one of the worst parents because she has now LIED to millions of people all over the world about WWASPS programs. How many children will be hurt/abused/killed because of this book? This author will one day be held accountable for writing these lies, when the truth comes out and a book is written on the horrible parents and adults who allowed this abuse to continue. As well as all the people who let it continue and do nothing to stop it. History will not judge this group of people kindly!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
come back
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 02:37:21 AM »
Ok, so get it from your library then go to Amazon.com and write a review.

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back (Hardcover)
by Claire Fontaine, Mia Fontaine "It is its own religion, this love..." (more)
Key Phrases: Spring Creek, Miss Zuza, Miss Kim
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
come back
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 09:35:47 PM »
here is an excerpt from Come Back. Mum knew the guy was dodgy but still remained with him for financial reasons!  

http://www.claireandmia.com/excerpts/ex ... index.html

:flame:  :flame: