Author Topic: A rare but tragic death at the Danish answer to Tranquility  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
A rare but tragic death at the Danish answer to Tranquility
« on: December 21, 2006, 04:15:44 AM »
Yesterday a 17 year old girl died at "Egely" - an institution for troubled and criminal teens in Denmark.

The police are looking into the matter (The inmates are supposed to be watch very carefully 24 hours per day), but so far they have not found out why she died.

In order to stay at "Egely" the inmates has to commit a crime involving personal damage. There are room for 20 inmates (Only 3 such institutions exist in Denmark) where 5 of them are on extra watch. Boys and girls live next door and there is no looking down in the ground when the opposite sex is present.

I got this video clip (In Danish) showing the surroundings. The background for the clip was that they had too many confrontations, so the staff recieved extra education in conflict management.

http://www.tv2fyn.dk/modules/tv2fyn/pla ... =&program=

Normally we don't believe in behaviour modification in Denmark. Those 3 institutions and some prisons are the exception. Court ordered therapy sometimes has to be ordered.

As an example I can give you some cases:

A year ago a young man took his car out and hit a baby and his father with 150 kilometres per hour - killing them both. He got two years in prison. Another man killed a 18 year old girl DUI (drugs and alcohol). He got 1,5 years in prison. When convicted to such a short time in Jail, it is important to alter their behaviour in a very powerful matter. Our prison terms has to be short. Our taxes are very high, so every day they are in prison, they can not generate money to pay taxes for.

That is why we have behaviour modification in Denmark, but I find it OK because it is court ordered and only used in very severe cases.

I hope the relatives of the poor girl can overcome their lost.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: A rare but tragic death at the Danish answer to Tranquil
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:11:41 AM »
Quote from: ""Covergaard""
Yesterday a 17 year old girl died at "Egely" - an institution for troubled and criminal teens in Denmark.

The police are looking into the matter (The inmates are supposed to be watch very carefully 24 hours per day), but so far they have not found out why she died.

In order to stay at "Egely" the inmates has to commit a crime involving personal damage. There are room for 20 inmates (Only 3 such institutions exist in Denmark) where 5 of them are on extra watch. Boys and girls live next door and there is no looking down in the ground when the opposite sex is present.

I got this video clip (In Danish) showing the surroundings. The background for the clip was that they had too many confrontations, so the staff recieved extra education in conflict management.

http://www.tv2fyn.dk/modules/tv2fyn/pla ... =&program=

Normally we don't believe in behaviour modification in Denmark. Those 3 institutions and some prisons are the exception. Court ordered therapy sometimes has to be ordered.

As an example I can give you some cases:

A year ago a young man took his car out and hit a baby and his father with 150 kilometres per hour - killing them both. He got two years in prison. Another man killed a 18 year old girl DUI (drugs and alcohol). He got 1,5 years in prison. When convicted to such a short time in Jail, it is important to alter their behaviour in a very powerful matter. Our prison terms has to be short. Our taxes are very high, so every day they are in prison, they can not generate money to pay taxes for.

That is why we have behaviour modification in Denmark, but I find it OK because it is court ordered and only used in very severe cases.

I hope the relatives of the poor girl can overcome their lost.

Wow, the cultural differences are astounding.  For either offense listed above, the juvenile, in the U.S. of A, would be charged as an adult for "vehicular manslaughter," "involuntary manslaughter," "reckless endangerment" and, in the second case, "felony DUI resulting in death."

A conviction on any one of these charges would bring 8 1/3 to 25 years of hardcore prison time.  I'd say the average case gets about 4 to12 years, minimum here in NY counting some kind of leniency for a guilty plea and 1/3 off the sentence for "good time."

Amazing differences on the view of "justice."
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline 69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »

Wow. You can get that kind of time in this country for having a few pot pants out on your back porch in certain states. I am thinking that neither of the drivers killed the people on purpose, so what behavior is there to modify. They drove fucked up and lost the gamble, and killed people, something that everyone who drives fucked up knows can happen. So they made a mistake, but I don't think that means they are murderers. So why the behavior modification, what are they modifying? What are they going to tell these people that have deaths on their conscience that they don't already know. In california the involuntary manslaughter charge only brings four years in prison and there is a lot of people who would like to see that extended to at least a decade. Can't say I blame them.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Just clearing up some points
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 04:41:03 PM »
I don't condome the death of the poor girl. She was supposed to be punished by spending some time in locked up environment because she did some crime which hurt some people physically.

She needed to be adjusted so she does not go on hitting people, not die!

Other crimes like stealing, driving too fast, DUI, without driving license does not qualify them to that kind of institution. Last year our penal system was altered so they could be imprisoned in their home, wearing a electronicly leg iron which transmit to a base unit placed in the house. It sound like an easy kind of punishment, but I can assure you that it isn't so. (I have spoken to several clients.)

Generally:

When a person has a behaviour that mean death or injury to the fellow citizens, the behaviour has to be altered.

But only then! A behaviour that means injury to the person them selves does not qualify for behaviour modification unless the person wants it. If that kind of behaviour means that they break the law several times, they just have to take the punishment over and over again. They can only fix a problem, they acknowledge.

We also consider the person ready for release to the society when the person does not impose a threat to the society anymore.

We had a very nasty crime commited some 12 years ago. A woman killed the wife of her lover and burnt the house down killing two children of 3 and 5 years. It was very carefully planned and disguesed to look like a suicide. The older boy said her name in one last word before he died. Her sentence became life. Life in Denmark means total destruction of precise that element that caused the crime. That take a lot of studies. It is very expensive.

She left the prison last year. She even got married inside the jail to a child molester. (Men and women serves time together in Denmark. Some people falls in love in there.) Was it a fair sentence? According to our laws it is.

Is it a fool prove system? We pray that it is. Since WWII only one killer has killed a second time.

Yes, our cultures are different.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 07:43:18 PM »
Im moving to denmark.

Our culture induces us to brutilize people in the name of justice. A man was given life in prison for stealing a slice of pizza.

He appealed to the supreme court and the sentance  held. Why are the cultures so different?
 It wasnt always this way. Earlier in the century sentances were much lighter. Im guessing it has to do with the profitibility of prisons. Not only have the prison system been largely privatized but the prisons which are still govt run are major revenue sources for huge corporate contracters....

But its more complicated. Why are we closer in Spirit to Iran than denmark in the treatment of people who disobey law?
(While of course being OK with genuinely unethical behavior commited by  the higher ups of society when for example bribing politicians in the form of donations...and then reciving 100s of thousands of $s in contracts)

Nation of bullies that like scapegoating and feeling dominant over very poor desperate lost people..who steal a slice of pizza? While submitting to our own dominants who do genuinely terrible things?
(a little like in program )