Author Topic: Dr. Phil sorta kinda maybe tries to do something sorta good.  (Read 8778 times)

Offline 69

• View Profile
Dr. Phil sorta kinda maybe tries to do something sorta good.
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:48:33 AM »
Dr fool is a tool in need of some serious bitch slappin. he flew the bumfights guy all the way to his show taping then brought him into the studio ran the promo and then got upset? hes showboating for the crowd, couldnt be more fake if you tried. the bumfights dude knows this will only sell more tapes because he knows deep down people like to see violence... too bad he doesnt have some dr phil fight videos now that id like to see.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »
I lost a lot of respect for Phil McGraw over this.  I happened to have this episode on while ironing ... and my immediate thought was "You did this for ratings".  Air something sensational and then act indignant about it.  Please.  He doesn't review his guests video clips prior to showing them on nationally syndicated TV?  I don't think so.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:54:23 PM »
What a fucking dick!  :rofl:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:51:06 PM »
Quote from: ""Truth Searcher""
I lost a lot of respect for Phil McGraw over this.  I happened to have this episode on while ironing ... and my immediate thought was "You did this for ratings".  

He does everything for ratings.  He's a perfect example of what is wrong with America and this whole culture of self help or newage crap. He's of the same mindset as a lot of program parents and those types are his target audience.  They're all sheep looking for someone to give them the answer and he's the guru that makes a shitload of money telling people how they should live their lives.  He's a disgusting media whore that feeds off of the vulnerabilities of stupid or blind people.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:50:57 AM »
Personally i think indecline studios (bumfights) is actually doing a good thing

This page explains a little as to why they are supposedly doing this:
check this page out

a quote from the page:
?I may not change the world, but I guarantee I?ll spark the mind that does?- Tupac Shakur
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:01:59 AM »
I thought Dr. Phil was bullshit from day one. My friend posted in her journal about a thing he was doing with a group of people, and he was asking them "Are you a giver, or a taker?" The blood drained out of my face. I said "What the fuck? That's from fucking Lifespring! He's using Lifespring!"

I go online to discover that he has a five day workshop. Most of the activities are kept secret, but it does talk about the red/green game, another lifespring/CEDU(summit) exercise. Except I believe he called it the red/black game. I'm assuming that the rest of the workshop was pretty much the same script, since LS is also five days, and the summit is 6.

So yeah, he is a total program tool.

By the way Anne, that is an awesome Zappa quote.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »
Quote from: ""psy""

check this page out

a quote from the page:
?I may not change the world, but I guarantee I?ll spark the mind that does?- Tupac Shakur

Oh please Psy. if anyone really wanted to raise awareness of the plight of the homesless you could document how they got to be living rough. This argument is a cop out for cheap exploitation.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 02:45:21 AM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""

check this page out

a quote from the page:

Oh please Psy. if anyone really wanted to raise awareness of the plight of the homesless you could document how they got to be living rough. This argument is a cop out for cheap exploitation.

Perhapt they are exploiting them. I'm not arguing they're not.  I'm just saying it might raise awareness of how some people actually have to live.  This is what happens on the mean streets.  Would it make some feel sorry for the homeless?  i'm guessing yes.  Whether or not that was their intent isn't the point.

Also.  that particular review was nor for bumfights, but one of their other videos.  take a look at the trailer.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 02:52:35 AM »
All the more reason why it is morally reprihensible to do this. it is like a grown 40 year old man having sex with a 13 year old crack whore and saying well  she was going to do it anyway.
No social good can come of this because what it highlights is the idea that these people are less human than the rest of us. Dr phil should be shot for showing this and pretending he is against it.  Perhaps I am rethinking my ideas on gun control-Go figure
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 02:57:06 AM »
Perhaps I am rethinking my ideas on gun control-Go figure

U been talkin to TSW?  :lol:

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 03:11:22 AM »
I think I am just becoming more right wing in my old age!  ::bwahaha2::

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 04:01:02 AM »
a quote from the page:

Holy crap! That should be the motto for FWWF. I'll post it at the top of the page so I can just point to it next time somebody tries to talk me into turning Fornits into whatever they think it is or should be or whatever.

But this conversation right here? This is like twilight zone stuff! Of course Dr. Fool is a program tool. I'm not surprised somebody finally nailed the precise pedigree of his particular line of bullshit. I just don't care, particularly, what that precise pedigree is. Also don't care where Oprah got her script nor Maurry his or Sally Jesse Raphael in her day. Hell, I gave up on tv about a year ago, tried to watch some the other day and STILL couldn't find a single genuine original thought there, so I guess I'm not missing much.

Of COURSE he knew and his producers knew what the whole thing was about before they invited the dude on as a guest. And of COURSE the guest knew what the Dr. Fool show is all about. And of COURSE the audience knows all of that if they retain the capability to step outside of their voluntarily (I think, thought, hope, hoped, aw hell!) suspended disbeliefe and think about it for about a half a second. But, evidently, people don't do that anymore.

Gimme some truth, now, who's side are we on?

Whatever you say
Turn on the boob tube
I'm in the mood to obey
So lead me astray
And BTW, where'd all the good people go?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 05:28:07 AM »
See? This is precisely why I refuse to go on a talk show, for ANYTHING. I heard that Oprah did at one point have a show about TBS survivors, (someone mentioned it here) which I found ridiculous, because didn't she advocate sending people there years before?

Regardless, my point is, doing one of those things, especially thinking you are going to be heard, is ridiculous. And watching them is even more pointless.

I have a friend who is addicted to oprah. I don't understand what the attraction is. I fucking hate daytime TV. I spend my time rotting my brain watching crappily animated garbage on Adult Swim.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 05:43:05 AM »
I was wondering. How popular are Oprah and Dr Phil in your part of the world? Surely a large # of Americans are cut out of the audience because they are at the office during the day. or are they on during the night in the US?

They are reasonably watched here. Especailly by the kind of people who go to Anthony Robbins seminars and who read self help books.

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 05:47:52 AM »
I was wondering. How popular are Oprah and Dr Phil in your part of the world? Surely a large # of Americans are cut out of the audience because they are at the office during the day. or are they on during the night in the US?

They are reasonably watched here. Especailly by the kind of people who go to Anthony Robbins seminars and who read self help books.

You wouldn't believe how many people have free time during the day over here. I'm amazed that anyone in San Francisco works. When I'm not in class and have a day off, I see people in cafes and hanging out and doing whatever. I'm like "Damn, doesn't anyone need to cover their cost of living?"

Although I believe that Dr. Phil is on in primetime. Not too sure about that, though.