Author Topic: A More Mainstream View  (Read 1372 times)

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
A More Mainstream View
« on: December 17, 2006, 10:33:54 AM »
Dear Prudie,
I work with a woman who talks frequently at lunch and in group settings about the problems she's having with her children. She claims they are just unruly, then discusses some rather dysfunctional behavior that seems like a cry for help. She casually talks about how they've been kicked out of every day care they've been enrolled in for fighting, biting, spitting, and threatening graphic, personal harm on teachers. The most recent story involved one child trashing the house while she and her husband slept. Her solution was to lock her children in their rooms at night, but now she doesn't know what to do with the one who has taken to defecating in the corners during the night. It breaks my heart to hear these types of stories, so much so that if she starts telling me about the latest mishap, I try to steer the conversation in another direction. My spouse thinks I should stay out of the situation, but my heart feels for these children, and I have toyed with the idea of anonymously calling the local social services office to report the situation. Do I have a moral and ethical responsibility to step in and report possible neglect? Or should I keep steering the conversation off the topic and keep my mouth shut?

?Heartbroken and Torn

Dear Heart,
Make the call. That's the advice of both Caren Kaplan of the Child Welfare League of America and Dr. Keith G. Hughes, a consultant to the North American Child Welfare Resource Center, after I read each of them your letter. Hughes said these children are exhibiting signs of serious emotional distress, and that parents who lock children in their rooms to keep them under control need intervention to help them learn how to properly deal with their kids. He said most states allow people who suspect child abuse to call the authorities anonymously and be held harmless for making the call. While it's generally best to stay out of the personal lives of the people at the lunch table, your heart is telling you there is something very wrong in this woman's life and that you need to do what you can to stop it.

?Prudie

http://www.slate.com/id/2155291/

I found this interesting because it is not a blame the kids, let's BM the kids article, but a focus on improper parenting. It also illustrates a desparate parent that does not know what to do with her out-of-control chilren. She is a potential program customer. Note that the experts don't mention any intervention with the 'bad' kids who are making 'poor choices.' They focus on the parents.

I was speaking to my dear Sister (PHD Child/Adolescent Psychology) who has worked in the field for over 20 years. She said, "If you can fix the parents, the kids will usually be okay." She said the frustrating part of working with kids is that often she knows she is treating the wrong person. She just does her best to give the kid a good reality perspective and get them through it.

She told me a couple of horror stories about kids who went through much worse at the hands of their own parents than anything the programs dish out; real gothic novel stuff. Made my skin crawl.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
A More Mainstream View
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 01:49:23 PM »
Although I would disagree strongly with blaming the parents, some of us really have tried so hard....one thing I do agree with, is that more often than not, the parenst just need to learn that they are 90% of the problems the children are acting out against

i can only thank you all at Fornuts for this, I have been given a great insight into how I, personally have been going about my kids unruly behaviour in totally the wrong way - I was so wrapped up in controlling them that I couldn't even see that they are people who need me to help them help themselves, but now I do, if it works then good, if it doesn't, I've not lost anything, at least I have tried!

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
A More Mainstream View
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
I remember reading this- How cool is Slate magazine btw-
I actually thought prudie got it wrong there. i wouldnt call social services on the woman because thhere is not concrete evidence of abuse. Id offer her help with the kids because her incessant need to discuss what hellions they are indicates that she is asking for it but I would feel that it is too intrusive to call authorities when it is not a family member
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen