Author Topic: social experiment  (Read 2610 times)

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
social experiment
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:51:56 PM »
This is a bit weird, but interesting in a way, what do you make of it?

Is it cruel? Unnecessary? Enlightening? Sick?

http://www.musingsofagirl.co.uk/?p=45

Sorry if it's in the wrong place but I find it a bit abusive  :-?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 69

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:56:25 PM »
i just think its weird. obviously the 17 year old boy is contacting girls because he has romantic feelings and his mom should have understood that. its just creepy.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:03:52 PM »
methinks thats some reverse oedipus complex right there
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 01:29:08 AM »
It was a dangerous thing to do. She could have learned some things about her son that would have damaged their relationship. For example, what if she found out he was in the closet?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 02:29:07 AM »
The revenge will come when she least expects it.

And it won't be a joking kind of revenge, either.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
that is just fucked up
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 04:18:16 AM »
Yeah i find it just a little bit disturbing.  I can imagine how the kid feels.  The article says it was just a prank but how much do you want to bet the mom was really fishing, to see what her son might be up to.

And parent's criticize their children for their immaturity!  I can guarantee you the kid, if he isn't too embarrassed, will be sure to bitch about this to all the friends he thinks he can trust.

Personally i think it was too big a risk for the mother to take.  The kid sounds like he took it well but it could not have turned out so well.  In any case, i can still see him talking to a therapist about this in a few years.

BTW.  Exhausted.  If you think that's abusive you should read some of what kids have to go through in program.  No privacy at all there.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 06:44:10 AM »
That's just twelve kinds of creepy.

***shivers**** ugggh.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 11:52:20 AM »
Thinking more about this 'experiment' it occurred to me how put off I was by the level of pretense. This woman is showing off their intellectual prowess by referring to obscure and esoteric jokes about religious philosophers. She thinks this demonstrates her son's sensitivity. I saw a kid (18 years old) that came across as somewhat pompous. An intellectual show-off, if you will.

Who among us would have gotten those jokes? I am fairly well read and would firmly defend the position that I am better informed than the vast majority of Americans. At least I recognized the names of the philosophers mentioned. But, I never would have gotten the jokes.

Lover boy should have figured out that any girl that understood his references was either family or somehow moved in his own small circle of pseudo-intellectuals.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
social experiment
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »
Quote from: ""AtomicAnt""
Thinking more about this 'experiment' it occurred to me how put off I was by the level of pretense. This woman is showing off their intellectual prowess by referring to obscure and esoteric jokes about religious philosophers. She thinks this demonstrates her son's sensitivity. I saw a kid (18 years old) that came across as somewhat pompous. An intellectual show-off, if you will.

Who among us would have gotten those jokes? I am fairly well read and would firmly defend the position that I am better informed than the vast majority of Americans. At least I recognized the names of the philosophers mentioned. But, I never would have gotten the jokes.

Lover boy should have figured out that any girl that understood his references was either family or somehow moved in his own small circle of pseudo-intellectuals.

It was in the UK.  They have actual education system there.  *ducks*
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 12:28:41 PM »
You could be right. He could have gone to a school that focuses more on that type of thing. He could have taken elective classes that focus on that kind of thing, I suppose.

I don't know much about the UK's current education system. Way back in the dark ages (Reagan Administration 1980s) I had a roomate from England. He explained to me that at age 16, kids had to chose their path between vocational or academic educations. The first would be steering kids toward a craft or job area, the second would be to groom them for university. You had to pass tests to take the second course. My roomate explained to me that while college in Europe is paid for by the State, you have to pass the tests to get into it. In the USA all it takes is money. Therefore, he had more respect for kids with degrees in Europe.

This man and I attended a State University together. He had come to the USA with his family when he was 16. He said our State School edcuation was a real bargain. The State paid for most of it and we were in a good school. In England, he probably would not have had the opportunity to go to college at all.

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »
You take what's called the '11+' here and of you pass it you have a choice to go to Grammer School, which is a better education, it's all free, anyone can go to college no matter what school you attended, no matter what qualifications you have, you have the opportunity to go to college

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 05:07:37 PM »
I think in fairness all boys try and show off to impress girls. Form time to time if it is not too ridiculous we even like it!  I found it kind of touching that the boy wanted to show off intellectually. But mum was playing a dangerous game. i think it was  the contemporary eq of reading a kids diary or listening in on the ph call. The mum was lucky that the poor boy seemed to have a pretty laid back temprament because at the same age i would have had the armageddon of all tantrums. This was invasive and wrong. I bet she wouldnt have been chortling away if the kid had tried to explicitly flirt with her!
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.ht ... _page_id=1

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »
How embarrassing!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social experiment
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 01:23:41 AM »
It was in the UK.  They have actual education system there.  *ducks*[/quote]

hehe. but at least we arnt endangered with potentially anti-social knowledge and reasoning techniques.