Author Topic: America the Grotesque  (Read 14392 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
America the Grotesque
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 12:27:41 AM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
So, what are you suggesting? That everyone quit their jobs and move to commune where they can grow their own veggies, hunt their own meat and make their own clothes? Should the entire country go back to the barter system? America is fucked up. Walmarts and 7-11s everywhere, but not everyone in suburbia is selfish, clueless and evil.

Those communes and hillbillys and injuns are part of America too. I wonder what ever happened to the Princess Tierra deWashitaw de Dugdemound Ya! I met her and her personal assitant once a PR op when they discovered the foundation of a trading post at the mouth of the Miami River. Colorful character, she was too! She was pushing to claim the Louisianna Purchase as sole known living heir to the guy who never did collect the $23 for it.

Extremism on either side is unhealthy, IMO.

One man's extremism is another man's highly prized diversity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 12:46:32 AM »
Quote from: ""Cassandra""
Those communes and hillbillys and injuns are part of America too.

Of course they are.  Where did I say they weren't?  I think communes and hillbillys are fan-fucking-tasic.  Seriously, but it's just not my lifestyle.  I enjoy the way I live.  I hate the way that the Walmarts of the world are making it damn near impossible to tell one town from the next but I have no desire to grow my own vegetables or live on a farm.  I like being able to go to the grocery store and pick up some potatos and even stupid childhood comfort food like Spaghettios.  Does that make me evil, part of the problem, clueless, a slave to the corporate world?  I do what I can to preserve my own little corners of the world.  I try and support and protect and nurture things that are important to me that might not be important to you.  I guess I just hate the way that the extremists on both sides seem to sit in judgement of each other.

I'm just tired of looking at the world the way that I have been for so long and I'm trying to find my own peace with it.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline teachback

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 12:46:53 AM »

So are us ETs......

I've got a green card; it matches my face.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 12:48:15 AM »

Of course they are.  Where did I say they weren't?  I think communes and hillbillys are fan-fucking-tasic.  

How about Tire Ranches?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »
Of course they are. Where did I say they weren't?

You didn't. Anon implied it by sayng they hate America and are going off the grid. The more time I spend out here and further out from here, the more I realize that a LOT of America is really very, very different in lifestyle and philosophy from your typical Walmart customer or employee.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 02:31:26 PM »
You didn't. Anon implied it by sayng they hate America and are going off the grid. The more time I spend out here and further out from here, the more I realize that a LOT of America is really very, very different in lifestyle and philosophy from your typical Walmart customer or employee.

So there's hope? :D

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 03:57:30 PM »
Hell yeah there's hope! I don't know why you'd want to live in Naziland like that, but to each his own. I just think it's silly when people say "I hate America, I'm gonna go off in the hills/desert/sticks/tundra or whatever and live independently." You might just as well say "I'm going back to America!" cause that's what this experiment is all about. Ok, it's not silly, really, it kind of ticks me off how the entire concept of what America is all about has been coopted in the minds of so many. Fucking Wally World pretending to be American patriotism manifest when 90% of their cheap plastic shit is made in China... or Korea, for that matter.

And yeah, Gook, I hope you make it back home real soon.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 05:43:55 PM »
I don't know why you'd want to live in Naziland like that, but to each his own.

I don't see myself as living in Naziland and the aspects I do find disturbing, I try and do something about.  But to each his own I guess.

I just think it's silly when people say "I hate America, I'm gonna go off in the hills/desert/sticks/tundra or whatever and live independently."

Me too.  I don't think I said that.  I have said before that I'd like to find some deserted little island somewhere to anchor my boat off of.  Yep, you bet.  I'd do it in a heartbeat, but for a variety of reasons.  Certainly not because I hate America....I don't.  I'm just getting old and cranky and stupid people piss me off.

You might just as well say "I'm going back to America!" cause that's what this experiment is all about. Ok, it's not silly, really, it kind of ticks me off how the entire concept of what America is all about has been coopted in the minds of so many. Fucking Wally World pretending to be American patriotism manifest when 90% of their cheap plastic shit is made in China... or Korea, for that matter.

Agreed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 09:41:22 PM »
So, what are you suggesting?  That everyone quit their jobs and move to commune where they can grow their own veggies, hunt their own meat and make their own clothes?  Should the entire country go back to the barter system?  America is fucked up.  Walmarts and 7-11s everywhere, but not everyone in suburbia is selfish, clueless and evil.  I'm finally getting to a point in my life where I actually enjoy it.  I like getting up and having my coffee with a little vanilla, reading the paper or a book, walking the dogs with my neighbors and buying stupid little meaningless crap to put in my kids' stockings just cuz it'll make them feel good.  I like being able to run to the supermarket and get toilet paper if I need it.

Extremism on either side is unhealthy, IMO.

Pffffft.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 09:29:01 AM »
You people have an amazing ability to take a perfectly good piece of literature, misread it, reconceptualize it in the image of your own ignorance, and rebut without pulling your pants up to cover your ass.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 10:08:29 AM »
That's funny, but what are you talking about? I don't think people did anything like that on this thread.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »

Of course they are.  Where did I say they weren't?  I think communes and hillbillys are fan-fucking-tasic.  Seriously, but it's just not my lifestyle.  I enjoy the way I live.  I hate the way that the Walmarts of the world are making it damn near impossible to tell one town from the next but I have no desire to grow my own vegetables or live on a farm.  I like being able to go to the grocery store and pick up some potatos and even stupid childhood comfort food like Spaghettios.  Does that make me evil, part of the problem, clueless, a slave to the corporate world?  I do what I can to preserve my own little corners of the world.  I try and support and protect and nurture things that are important to me that might not be important to you.  I guess I just hate the way that the extremists on both sides seem to sit in judgement of each other.

I'm just tired of looking at the world the way that I have been for so long and I'm trying to find my own peace with it.

Anne Bonney,

From reading your posts I'd say you seem to be doing a fine job of finding your own peace. A big part of being able to do that....in my opinion.. is by not allowing other people to tell you what is right or wrong within your own life...so props to you for not allowing certain people on this board to do that.
 I, like you, choose to live the best life I can in the world that exists today....not a perfect world...but one I'm grateful to wake up to everyday!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 01:26:57 AM »
Hey man, I was just sticking up for America, that's all. I tell ya, I get out of the city and into the country and it's like coming home. It's off beat, off the grid and funky where I like to go. It's like Wally World couldn't possibly exist. I fucking love it. Now, yenz might think I'm leaving America cause of that, but I look at it the other way around. I think the cities abandoned America a long time ago and I'm going back there.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 03:34:49 AM »
One thing I always liked about the US was the contrast in people.  mainly when i go there now, i just tend to meet people like me but with a different accent. But the thing i loved about travelling around America on a shoe string in my youth was the interesting characters that i would meet wwhen i went off the beaten track a bit.

i also fell in love with the dazzling array of consumer products. There was something about buying stripy peanut butter and jam in the same jar that was kind of exhilarating. So I suppose while there is something admirable about the true individualists that are a part of American culture, i fear i would not ever be one of them because there is so much cool stuff to buy.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
America the Grotesque
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »
Hey man, I was just sticking up for America, that's all. I tell ya, I get out of the city and into the country and it's like coming home. It's off beat, off the grid and funky where I like to go. It's like Wally World couldn't possibly exist. I fucking love it. Now, yenz might think I'm leaving America cause of that, but I look at it the other way around. I think the cities abandoned America a long time ago and I'm going back there.

The scant remains of Woody Guthrie's home (just its foundation & some rubble) in Oklahoma stand in overgrown weeds.

To many people, Woody Guthrie was considered a communist and a shame to his own community.

Just because a lot of people think a thing doesn't make it right...