Author Topic: A new victim at TurnAbout Ranch  (Read 14941 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
A new victim at TurnAbout Ranch
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »
It says it all.

http://www.freeshandy.com

Poor girl.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »
Please Help Free our Sister Chandra Robb

On Nov. 1st our sister was forcibly abducted from her bed by a stranger, handcuffed and taken away to a Behavior Modification Teen " Boot Camp" called Turnabout Ranch.
She has done nothing wrong....No drugs, No alcohol, a good student.  She has never been in trouble with the law or her school, nor has she even kissed a boy.
Turnabout Ranch is in Escalante Utah and they are keeping her for a minimum of 90 days. This is a camp for teens with severe behavior problems, juvenile record, drug abuse and out of control behavior. Here is a link to an article that describes the type of hard core juvenile offenders that are sent to Turnabout Ranch.
http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools ... 97,00.html

Chandra is none of these things. She has never done drugs, drank alcohol, or been in trouble with the law or school. She is a good student that has never even kissed a boy. Chandra has expressed interest in becoming a Vet, and has volunteered at a local vet clinic. Turnabout Ranch does not offer traditional schooling, so this 16 year old will receive no math or science education for the next 90 days.

Chris Fudge the admissions director at TAR was contacted to discuss the
inappropriate placement of Chandra at their facility. Chris stated that the mom has the power and wants her at TAR so she will stay. There is no screening outside of TAR's own program, so any child can be sent to this facility with no way out.

For more personal information about Chandra click here

Chandra's Father Kevin Robb of Spanishfork Passed away on June 5, 2006.
Chandra is left with no support and as a result her mother has absolute power.
Kevin's mother, Chandra's Grandmother, Hatty Jo Robb was interviewed and stated "Kevin would have never, never allowed this to happen to Chandra, absolutely not", "If Kevin were alive today he would have Chandra live with him and would never have agreed to this".

TAR is licensed by the state of Utah, Office of Licensing, Department of
Human Services run by Ken Stettler. The problem is that there is no
oversight or monitoring of children that are sent to these schools.
Chandra is allowed no contact with the outside world, so even though
Chandra is old enough to file for emancipation under Utah law at age 16....there is no way for her to ask, Turnabout Ranch keeps their students in total isolation.
The Licensing department provides no avenue for these jailed teens to ask for a appeal or review. Even terrorists in custody at Guantanamo Bay get visits by the red cross, Chandra has no representation or group to look out for her.

According to those close to the family, it is possible she was sent to TAR by her mother, Lori Robb-Allen, because she did not get along with her step dad, Steve Allen. These sources are aware of abuse allegations made by all four children (Chandra has 3 younger sisters). Chandra was sent away to Turnabout Ranch just days after one of these alleged incidents involving Chandra and her sister Mikayla. The CPS worker assigned to this case is Chelsea Smith of the American Fork Office. When contacted, Chelsea stated that there is nothing she can do to help get Chandra out, she essentially washed her hands of any responsibility.

Please help free our sister by joining our email and voice mail campaign.

The only way under the law she can be released is if her Mother, CPS or the state requests it.  You can help Chandra by calling the state and CPS offices and requesting a guardian ad litem (GAL) be assigned to Chandra. A GAL has the power to visit her at Turnabout Ranch and represent her in the court system. Without the support of her Mother this is Chandra's only way out.

Help us get the word out that our sister is not disposable, and people do
care about the treatment of minor children.

Click on the following link for information on what you can do to help Free Chandra. Visit this link often for ongoing updates:

How you can help
http://www.freeshandy.com/How2Help.htm

This picture was taken the day she was abducted in front of her cabin at Turnabout Ranch. Notice the discoloration in the middle of her forehead. Is this a bruise? If so, how would someone who has just been handcuffed and manhandled into a car get a bruise like that?
There is a stark difference between this picture and the one above. Help us see Chandra happy again.

For more information about Turnabout Ranch and other behavior modification Programs. Click on the link above.
http://www.freeshandy.com/Turnabout%20Ranch.htm

To contact me with information, thoughts about Chandra, or wanting to help email me at this address: [email protected]

"As for what I can do regarding this case, I have already asked the
program to provide documentation of an assessment conducted by a
qualified professional that verifies whether Chandra is appropriate for
this program or not. I have further informed the program that if the
assessment indicates that she is not appropriate, then they must make
arrangements for her return home." Ken

What I need all of you to help me with now:

Is to contact the Attorney Generals office, Mark Shurtleff, and request that his staff look into the licensing laws of schools in Utah. Let him know that is not ok for Turnabout ranch to do their own assessments of who
is appropriate for their facility. When placement is questioned their needs to be a third party system in place to provide checks and balances.

Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff
Attorney General Mark Shurtleff: [email protected]
Assistant Attorney General: [email protected]
This supervisor is talking about transferring the case to DCFS in
Garfield County. Email him and let him know this is not an option. I have information from a confidential source, an employee at Turnabout Ranch, that the DCFS worker in Garfield Co. is related to those who run Turnabout Ranch and will always side with the Ranch. Let Abel know that what is needed is for him to request a Guardian ad Litum (GAL) be appointed so Chandra's needs can be represented not those of Turnabout Ranch.

CPS Caseworker: Chelsea Smith
American Fork Office
Phone Number (801) 851-8369
[email protected] or his office number (801)538-4235
Ken Stettler is the head of Human Services Licensing and overseas Turnabout Ranch?s Utah License.
The licensing rules governing schools in Utah State need to be changed
so the state can assess appropriate placement when a placement is
challenged. Ken can advocate for these legislative changes.

Turnabout Ranch
Chris Fudge Admissions Director
1 (800) 842-1165  [email protected]
Chris Christensen Program Director: [email protected]
Let Turnabout Ranch know that they need to screen their students better.
Children inappropriately placed, like Chandra should be sent home
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:53:50 PM »
Can you imagine what would happen if people reacted like this for all the kids?

These Utah legislators ought to be damn ashamed of themselves.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Chris Fudge
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »
I thought Chris Fudge had left TAR many months ago and living in Idaho?

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:04:08 AM »
Is there any news on this kid?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 09:02:14 AM »
Curious question:

That young woman has legal rights, but has no way to exercise them.

Isn't it illegal to cut off someone from contact with legal representation under the law?

If she DOES get an attourney she could file a writ of habeas corupus against TAR, right?

EDIT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus

Ah, good ole wikipedia, thorn in the side of programs just like all other forms of TALKING OUT OF GROUP.

Habeas corpus ad subjiciendum

Known as the "Great Writ", the writ of habeas corpus ad subjiciendum is a legal proceeding in which an individual held in custody can challenge the propriety of that custody under the law. The prisoner, or some other person on his behalf (for example, where the prisoner is being held incommunicado), may petition the court or an individual judge for a writ of habeas corpus.

Although the form of the writ of habeas corpus implies that the prisoner is brought to the court in order for the legality of the imprisonment to be examined, modern practice is to have a hearing with both parties present on whether the writ should issue, rather than issuing the writ immediately and waiting for the return of the writ by the addressee before the legality of the detention is examined. The prisoner can then be released or bailed by order of the court without having to be produced before it.

The right of habeas corpus?or rather, the right to petition for the writ?has long been celebrated as the most efficient safeguard of the liberty of the subject. Dicey wrote that the Habeas Corpus Acts "declare no principle and define no rights, but they are for practical purposes worth a hundred constitutional articles guaranteeing individual liberty". In most countries, however, the procedure of habeas corpus can be suspended in time of national emergency. In most civil law jurisdictions, comparable provisions exist, but they are generally not called "habeas corpus".[1]
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:28:32 AM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
Can you imagine what would happen if people reacted like this for all the kids?

These Utah legislators ought to be damn ashamed of themselves.

It would be most...
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 09:51:49 AM »
BUMP!!!

any news?

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
She is out now!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 07:40:30 AM »
I got a message that she is out now.

I hope that her family can help her to overcome what she has been put through.

Merry christmas to her and of course also to the poor soules still locked up in such places.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
We did something good
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 06:58:36 AM »
In this forum it was revealed which church, they use regardless of the belief the students have.

Some of the relatives used that information to get her to sign a document.

She went to court.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4851402

but the result was not good.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4870947

However, I got a message that confirmed that she was free from a friend of hers. So the mother must have taken the advice from the judge serious. They properly wont have any statement about the violent behaviour of the step-dad testified in court, so the mother must have given up.

I had to admit that I took a glas of wine in order to celebrate and I am also proud that I got the wikipedia page on Turnabout Ranch finished this morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabout_ranch

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
Novel use for new law
Emancipation request splits family
The girl's aunts say she should not remain at ranch for troubled youth
By Kirsten Stewart
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 12/16/2006 01:08:56 AM MST

Click photo to enlargeLori and Steve Allen, mother and stepfather of a... (Francisco Kjolseth/The Salt Lake Tribune)
"Kaye" has no shortage of family members looking after her.
There are her mother and stepfather, who, in the wee hours of the morning on Nov. 1, paid a company to forcibly transport her to Turn-About Ranch, a Utah boarding school and residential treatment center for troubled teens.

And there are her two maternal aunts who, seeking to free their niece, secretly arranged to have her sign legal papers in the restroom of a Baptist church that Turn-About students attend on Sundays.  

Those papers triggered an emancipation hearing Friday before 4th District Juvenile Judge Sterling Sainsbury, who will evaluate whether Kaye, 16, is capable of deciding for herself what's best.

Utah's new emancipation law wasn't created to give adolescents an avenue to fight confinement at therapeutic schools and wilderness programs. Proponents pitched it as benefiting homeless, runaway and other "throwaway" youth.

But child advocates are pleased to see the new statute so cleverly applied.

Teen-help programs "have sprung up like wildfire in Utah because of the regulatory environment here," said Kristin Brewer, director of Utah's Office of the Guardian ad Litem, a team of attorneys who represent children in juvenile court.

The programs "are great if you're a kid who needs treatment," Brewer said. "But they're not for everyone. This at least gives kids a hearing, some due process."

If allegations of child abuse or neglect surface during an emancipation hearing, a judge can act on those. Still, Brewer doesn't expect a rash of petitions from the facilities, which are semi-secure and isolated. Also, Utah courts have no jurisdiction over children from other states, she notes.

"Even if you get a hearing, you have to prove yourself independent, a tough case to mount for teens said to have behavioral problems," said Brewer.

'A good student': Kaye - an alias used to protect the teen's identity - didn't get much of a chance to speak Friday. After meeting with attorneys, Sainsbury postponed the hearing until next week.

But in her petition, Kaye alleged Lori and Steve Allen, her mother and stepfather, are physically and verbally abusive.

She argued she's a "good student with no juvenile record" and that her "incarceration" at the ranch in remote Escalante will rob her of a year's worth of schooling and her dreams to attend college and become a veterinarian.

She is asking the judge to allow her to return to Washington state, where she has a summer job as a nanny for her maternal aunt Wendy Berg and her three children. "My room and board is included in my nanny pay," her petition said.

Allen said the petition was "trumped up" by her sisters. She has filed for a restraining order against Berg and another sister, Lisa Anger of Kearns, arguing they're abusing the emancipation law to trample her parental rights.

"I am absolutely horrified that my sister [Anger] typed up a legal document filled with lies and coerced my daughter into signing it," said Allen.

Allen, 36, said aside from the two-month nanny job last summer and her current stay at Turn-About, Kaye has "never lived away from us."

The Saratoga Springs mother of four girls said she placed Kaye, her oldest, at Turn-About because the teen was failing school, depressed and prone to fits of rage. Allen believes the behavior stems from a bitter custody dispute with her late ex-husband, Kaye's father, and his suicide last June.

Allen's sisters contend the source of Kaye's angst is Allen's new husband, Steve. "They got married secretly last spring and waited two months to tell us or the kids," Anger said.

The Allen home has come under investigation twice by Utah's Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS). Both cases are closed, according to court documents.

Turn-About time: Kaye's aunts have also targeted the ranch, filing complaints with state licensing officials. Berg, who lives in the greater Seattle area, said Turn-About withholds food and other privileges from students until they earn them back. Berg, a licensed family therapist, also objects that children work the ranch and are not offered higher math and science courses.

Kaye "doesn't belong at Turn-About. She's a good kid with no history of drug use," said Berg.

Executives at the Aspen Education Group in Cerritos, Calif., which owns Turn-About, say the ranch offers a full spectrum of courses and requires its 50 students to work the ranch as part of their therapy.

"The program has been running for many years, has a terrific reputation and has done enormous good for thousands of young people and their families," said Vice President Mark Hobbins.

Utah licensing director Ken Stettler said counselors at Turn-About screened Kaye at intake and determined her placement to be appropriate. This was confirmed by a second evaluation done at Stettler's request by an independent social worker.

'My child's life': Allen says after just a few weeks in the 90-day program, Kaye's grades have improved. She fears the emancipation battle may cause setbacks.

"This is not a decision I entered into lightly. It took us 14 to 15 months and will cost us $340 a day. But you get to the point where cost doesn't matter. This is my child's life at stake," said Allen, who said she picked the ranch over other facilities because Kaye loves animals.

"If we were interested in just getting rid of her, we could have spent the same amount on a year-long boarding school," said Allen.

Until the case resumes, Sainsbury ordered that Kaye reside with a former neighbor and friend of the Allens. The Allens may visit but are barred from discussing the legal proceedings with her.

All other relatives shall have no contact, Sainsbury ordered.
Kaye testified that she would prefer to stay at the home of her paternal grandmother, who was also present Friday. Outside the courtroom, she avoided the Allens.

But Sainsbury cautioned, "Mom is still the custodial parent until I make a decision that says different."
[email protected]
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 08:28:35 AM »
Estranged from parents
Take some time, judge tells teen seeking emancipation
By Kirsten Stewart
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 12/20/2006 12:23:50 AM MST

OREM - Utah's emancipation law bought 16-year-old "Kaye" some time and an audience before a juvenile court judge.

But it probably won't buy her freedom from Turn-About Ranch, a Utah boarding school for troubled teens.

On Tuesday, 4th District Juvenile Court Judge Sterling Sainsbury postponed testimony on Kaye's bid to be emancipated from her parents, urging the teen instead to work through family grievances outside the court.

"You both love each other as far as I can see," said Sainsbury, addressing Kaye and her mother, Lori Allen. "I would like to see some counseling, an attempt to mend fences, before we get to trial. That's how we solve things in juvenile court. We try to heal things, not make them worse."

Earlier this month, Kaye - an alias used to protect the teen's identity - petitioned the court for adulthood in a bid to escape confinement at Turn-About in remote Escalante.

The teen argues she's a "good student with no juvenile record" and that her "incarceration" at the ranch will rob her of a year's worth of schooling and her dreams to attend college and become a veterinarian.

Kaye further alleged that Allen and her stepfather Steve Allen "slap her around," bloodying her nose on more than one occasion.  

She asked the judge for permission to move to Washington state to live with a maternal aunt and work as a nanny.

Confirming Kaye's version of events are another maternal aunt, uncle and the girl's paternal grandmother.

Kaye's three younger siblings also have become estranged from their mother and have been staying with a neighbor.

Two investigations by Utah's Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS), however, failed to yield evidence of abuse or neglect.

Absent that evidence, Sainsbury said he has no right to intervene in Allen's parenting decisions.

The judge rejected a motion by Kaye's attorney to allow the teen to stay with a relative or foster family while the family seeks counseling.

"The law is on your side," Sainsbury told Allen. But he urged the Saratoga Springs mother to be "the bigger person" and think twice before sending Kaye back to Turn-About.

"Young people go through difficult times, especially when a parent dies," said Sainsbury, referring to Allen's divorce from her late ex-husband, Kaye's father, and his suicide last June. Allen's remarriage also may have been disruptive, suggested Sainsbury.

Allen agreed to work with a therapist to help her family "heal."
But her lawyer Ron Wilkinson said Kaye may return to Turn-About, where she's thriving academically. Allen placed Kaye, her oldest, at the ranch because she says the teen was failing school, depressed and prone to fits of rage.

The 90-day program costs more than $300 a day, and the tuition is nonrefundable, said Wilkinson.

Sainsbury scheduled a follow-up hearing next month. But whether Kaye's petition for emancipation will yield results is uncertain.

Utah's emancipation law, which went into effect last May, was created to aid homeless, runaway and other "throwaway" youth.
The law allows 16- and 17-year-olds to petition a juvenile judge for adulthood. The teens must show they can live independently and manage their own affairs. The process requires that parents be notified and given a chance to respond. If granted, emancipation gives teens limited adult rights to sign leases, enroll in school, borrow money or seek medical care.

Frustrated by Sainsbury's decision, Kaye lamented never getting a chance to voice her complaints.
"This is supposed to be about me, but everyone else is doing the talking and making the decisions," she said.
"I'm starting to think going back to the ranch would be better than going back to my mom."

[email protected]

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 05:17:45 PM »
Did she not have a lawyer?

Did she not have a chance to say she was living through hell becuase of her mom and reconcilation was not possible as long as her mom could keep throwing her away?

::bangin::

"This is supposed to be about me, but everyone else is doing the talking and making the decisions," she said.
"I'm starting to think going back to the ranch would be better than going back to my mom."

Well, at least she has her head on straight... too bad everyone else in Utah is a moron. I feel sorry for her, but at least she actually had a day in court.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
She is free now.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 04:00:50 AM »
What a happy new year for her:

http://tinyurl.com/26k3wh

"The Luffly Shandy"

"Hmm, let's see.

Came in November first, and was due to leave February first.

But in all actuality I left December 18th, Due to the fact that I got broke out"

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 08:49:43 AM »
Heh, good to know at least one kid got out before too long.

Has she spoken out about her treatment there? She could help a lot...

This gives me at least some positive outlook... another down, oh so many to go  :cry: