Author Topic: What a No Contest Plea Means:  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What a No Contest Plea Means:
« on: November 13, 2006, 11:47:53 PM »
Understanding the Criminal Process in Utah:

No contest:

A "no contest" plea indicates that, while you are not admitting guilt, you do not dispute the charge. This is preferable to a guilty plea because guilty pleas can be used against you in later civil lawsuits.

http://research.lawyers.com/Utah/Crimin ... -Utah.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:15:33 AM »
And your point is?
Jared Eldridge, the prosecutor, got what he wanted.
The woman, Cheryl Sudweeks, can never (as in the rest of her sorry life) operate any facility in his little county ever again.
And he did this without spending any of Juab County taxpayer's money for a trial.
Have to say: he's one good politician! He got rid of the "bad gal" and saved his little county some money.
He stated he believed the victims; so can't say much about his belief in justice for children who have been abused in his county.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:06:30 AM »
I agree anon, perhaps you misunderstood my point which was to show that when someone pleads no contest, they do not dispute the charges.  If Cheryl Sudweeks wanted to assert and prove her innocence, she could and probably should have asked for a bench or jury trial, not agreed to plead no contest which essentially means she didn't contest the allegations against her.  At least that's my impression of how the law reads.

As for the Juab county prosecutor - it's Utah.  Enuf said.  Children have been killed in Utah based programs and the ones accountable weren't even criminally charged.

IMO, It's a sorry situation, to be sure, that parents have to bring civil lawsuits to seek justice but still, it's better than nothing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 01:13:10 AM »
So it's a good thing the Suds can't operate in Juab county but what about the rest of the state?  What happens if she sets up shop in some other county and gets into trouble?  Not my county, not my problem?  Sheesh.  Don't these folks in UTAH know anything about this industry?  Owners have had programs shut down, only to reopen under a different name.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:37:14 AM »
The Suds have reportedly hauled themselves back up to Canada.
Don't think they will be opening shop in Utah again...but they will probably pop up again, somewhere, IMO.

It's a lucrative business, and their "friend" Sue Scheff at PURE continued to refer to them amid the allegations of abuse--so they do seem to have support.

But they also have people watching them, now.