Author Topic: Another Teen Help Article  (Read 7201 times)

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Another Teen Help Article
« on: January 03, 2002, 01:28:00 AM »
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/n ... 93,00.html

Colorado girl pulled from Teen Help compound

Conditions deplorable at Mexico camp tied to Utah group, authorities say

By Lou Kilzer, News Staff Writer

Mexican officials have removed a 14-year-old Colorado girl and seven other teens from a compound connected to Utah-based Teen Help, the latest in a series of crackdowns on the organization.
Child welfare workers found the conditions deplorable at the High Impact locked compound near Tecate in Baja California, Mexico, according to authorities at the United States Consulate in Tijuana.

"They were all extremely dirty," consulate spokesman Clint Wright said of the teens living there. "Some of the kids had calluses and blisters on their feet from being made to do a lot of laps around the place without wearing proper shoes."

He said the teens were forced to lie on their stomachs, with their chins on the ground, for hours at a time.

Mexican authorities said they found that tents had blown down and children had been forced to sleep in bathrooms, according to U.S. diplomats.

The Colorado girl complained of blisters and a sunburn, officials said. They would release no details about the girl, who was one of the last to leave High Impact.

The Teen Help organization offers services to parents of troubled children. The parents often attend rigorous psychological encounter sessions, while their children are sent to behavior modification camps in the United States and overseas.

Some mental health professionals have described some of the techniques in the adult seminars and at the compounds as "coercive persuasion."

Parents often pay more than $3,000 a month for tuition. A typical stay can last 18 months or longer.

Parents said High Impact is an integral part of the Teen Help empire -- a place to send kids who are "not working the program."

Officials first inspected the High Impact facility Dec. 5. The World Wide Association of Specialty Schools -- an umbrella group for many Teen Help-related programs -- immediately began withdrawing its clients from High Impact. When the compound was revisited on Dec. 8, eight remained. WWASP said one of the eight had come from its program.

The teens were taken into protective custody, according to the consulate. Allegations of unsanitary conditions at High Impact are untrue, said Ken Kay, head of the WWASP. "I mean, it was the cleanest place I ever saw," he said.

But Chris Goodwin of San Francisco said his son was forced to stay outside in his underpants for three nights, lying on his stomach with his chin on the ground. If he moved to try to brush off fire ants that roamed over him, he was threatened with a cattle prod, said Goodwin. The punishment left scars on his son's chin, he said.

The Utah organization tried last week to distance itself from High Impact. Kay said the only association WWASP had with High Impact was that it occasionally sent children there. "I know you probably think I'm playing dumb," said Kay. "And that's good, because I probably am dumb."

Records suggest that WWASP has a closer relation to High Impact. High Impact's Web page is on a Web service called parentresources.net. That site advertises Teen Help and WWASP programs, and its phone number connects to Teen Help in Utah. The person who manages the Web site has managed Teen Help.

High Impact's billing is controlled by R&B Billing, a company owned by Robert Lichfield in Utah, according to records obtained by the News. Lichfield created the Teen Help programs.

Payments to WWASP and High Impact have the same St. George, Utah, mailing address. And parent identification codes remain the same when a child goes from a WWASP program to High Impact, and vice versa, according to internal records.

Though the facilities are owned by various individuals, the money first passes through Lichfield's concerns in southern Utah, where most of it remains, Kay told the News.

But Dace Goulding, who runs Casa by the Sea, a WWASP program in Ensanada, Mexico, said he doesn't know of any relationship between High Impact and WWASP. He also said he had no knowledge of teens from Casa by the Sea going to High Impact.

That was news to Goodwin. He said that after his son was having troubles at Casa, Goulding called and told him to send his son to High Impact. He said Goulding sold it to him as a camping experience.

What his son found, instead, was "torture," according to Goodwin. After his son and another boy got into a fight, the staff beat both and then put them in the High Impact position, he said.

"They were flat on their stomachs, hands behind their back as if they're handcuffed, chin out straight, resting on the ground. My kid said he stayed like that in a pool of blood all night long on the first night. They were freezing their butts off."

Goodwin said his son spent three nights in the High Impact position.

Goulding said he didn't know Chris Goodwin or his son.

Stephanie Hecker of Kansas City said her son experienced the same treatment.

High Impact isn't the first Teen Help-related program to run into trouble with authorities.

A compound near Cancun, Mexico, was closed after a newspaper reported child abuse allegations.

Police in the Czech Republic closed WWASP's Morava Academy, again citing abuse allegations. Police alleged kids were sometimes isolated, denied food and handcuffed.

A Teen Help psychiatric hospital in St. George was shut following an investigation into an abuse complaint.

A WWASP program in Western Samoa closed after American diplomats received what they called "credible" allegations of abuse.

And last Monday, child welfare officials made an unannounced visit to Casa by the Sea, removing five children for private interviews.

Goulding, the director of the program, said he was unaware of the event. But Kay was.

"I just can't believe that they came in . . . with armed federales, removed five of the kids without the parents' permission or anything, and took them off to question them, and then brought them back," said Kay. "The mayor of Ensanada is highly incensed."

Of the Rocky Mountain News, which has raised questions about the program in recent years, Goulding said: "Because of the work that you do, Casa by the Sea is thriving. I was going to send you a thank-you letter for that."

He hung up the phone after telling a reporter: "Please don't call me. I'll call you."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2002, 01:45:00 AM »
Ever wish you could go back in time and kill Hitler? Hey its a just a thought.

Just wait Lichfield is gonna publish a little red book "The Thought of Chairman Lichfield" with songs about the several evils, and parents are going to recite it while they murder their own children, oh wait a minute, they are already doing that, no little red book required.

Is it too much too hope for that the Federales will shoot the bastards? I got some Dollars, I can bribe them to do it.

Q: What is WWASP's relationship with High Impact?

A "Oh we have nothing to do with 'that' program...honest."

Q Then why are your phone number, billing address, client records, ownership records, and corporate offices the same as that of High Impact and other programs that have been shut down, which you also claim to have nothing to do with?

A Lichfield can do no wrong, he saved our children, he saved us all...amen. Load...cock...click...bang...splat...good riddance.

Maybe in the fervor of trying to find something that American Taliban guy is guilty of, they might pass a law that makes brainwashing a terrorist act, punishable by vivisection or something appropriate like that. There are certainly worse things that are being done with our tax dollars.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2002, 10:00:00 AM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2002, 01:16:00 PM »
Here's mine.

Dear Mr. Kilzer,
  I want to thank you for checking the facts on this story.

"Records suggest that WWASP has a closer relation to High Impact. "

These TOUGHLOVE hategroups generally operate with such a haughty disregard for law and the public's intelligence that reporting on them ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel. But for some damned reason, it's a rare and wonderful thing for any reporter to actually go and _check_ their statements to see if they hold up. Go get `em!

I and a few friends have got reams and volumes of similar quality information on another very powerful TOUGHLOVE hategroup that goes by the name of Drug Free America Foundation. But we lack the bully pulpit that you have; only so much traffic to our websites and forums. I wonder if I could influence you to take a look at http://thestraights.com/ I think you might find some material of interest to you there. I think DFAF ties directly to WWASP by way of a common interest in the new Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives funding; created by one of Bush's first executive orders. I don't know exactly where to look or how to confirm my suspicion in that regard.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2002, 04:23:00 PM »
Hi, i'm is tommyfromhyde and i'm anonymous.
 Good find Face! The Denver Rocky Mountain News has been on to this WWASP/Teen Help outfit for at least a year or so. However they don't archive back very far so also good work mirroring that one. there's an article that I think they did that gave me an idea about suing abusive programs that I just can't find on their site anymore.
       Peace,
         Tommy

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2002, 04:47:00 PM »
Hi Tom! {hugs}
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2002, 02:08:00 AM »
Hey Tommy. Actually I had some interesting news hit me the other day. Another friend of mine who was sent to a wildnerness program last summer, and had a considerably worse experience than Alex, told me that he was about a hairs thickness away from being sent to Hyde afterwards. He had to get a D in some stupid summerschool class in order to avoid it and he managed to do it by stealing the exam. His mother is a psycho, and his father is weak-willed. I spoke with him for several hours about it all, and he seemed very angry about it in general.

In a disturbing development, his program is apparently owned by Outward Bound which has generally stuck to voluntary wildnerness adventures before, but has a small number of 'thereaputic programs'. He described Outward Bound's Ascent program as being staffed by the same kind of ill trained, brainwashed creeps that work in a lot of the less reputable companies.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2002, 07:46:00 PM »
On 2002-01-03 23:08:00, FaceKhan wrote:
In a disturbing development, his program is apparently owned by Outward Bound which has generally stuck to voluntary wildnerness adventures before, but has a small number of 'thereaputic programs'. He described Outward Bound's Ascent program as being staffed by the same kind of ill trained, brainwashed creeps that work in a lot of the less reputable companies.

Hey, I'm pretty sure Ascent is run by the Mormon Church, isn't it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2002, 03:49:00 AM »
I don't know who owns it but I sure hope it ain't Outward Bound ! I would also like to know if it was this allegedly OB owned wilderness that referred this kid's folks to Hyde. I thought that Outward Bound had learned their lesson about Hyde in the seventies! You see OB ran the wilderness component of Hyde's early summer challenge program for a while. According to the story that I remember OB severed their relationship with Hyde a couple of years before I landed there in 1976 because they thought Hyde's people were nuts.
       peace
        Tommy

Offline Matt C. Hoffman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2002, 11:15:00 AM »
Hi Tommy ,

Hey was Hyde in Bath Maine ?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2002, 02:11:00 PM »
hey Matt
      It still is in Bath, ME. Also they've
expanded to a second campus in Woodstock,
Conn. The good news I guess is that Hyde's
a lo-calorie version of the programs under
discussion here. The bad is that their vision
is not to be a rehab or even a 'special
school' but a model for all schools. To this
end thev've opened up two 'charter schools',
one in New Haven,Conn. and one in Wash,DC
(These are day schools I think).
      Peace,
        Tommy

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2002, 02:20:00 PM »
I said the same thing, until I did a search of Outward Bound Programs and found this http://public.obusa.net/obpub/crsfndr/o ... ode=VAS199

Voyaguer Ascent is one of their "special" programs. I don't know whether or not it was OB that was recomending Hyde, but that is where his parents were looking to send him. They were already thinking about it before he was sent to the wildnerness program so it could be just a coincidence that they had picked Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2002, 03:02:00 PM »
hey Face,

Was Hyde ever a possibility for Alex too?
If so you may have a Hyde parent running
around your community selling Hyde to all
his friends Amway style.

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2002, 03:19:00 PM »
No Hyde was never a possibility, mainly because Alex was turning 18 in 4 months from the time he was sent to Alldredge and it was supposed to be a 3 month program. However from some of the posts I have seen from Alldredge parents, it is definitely a stop-off point for kids destined for TBS in the US and in Samoa.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2002, 03:52:00 PM »
Grab the bag, Face. Heeere's Lonnie!
http://www.strugglingteens.com/parents/findersfees.html
A kind of finders' fee Lonnie didn't mention
though is the kind where program parents are
offered forgivness of fees of some kind for
bringing in new clients. Every kid in town
must look like a junkie to such a parent.
I don't think Hyde pulled that when I was
there but it's been 25 years.
Didn't you say STRAIGHT(r) did that Antigen?
peace
Tommy