Author Topic: Public letter of Response to Benchmark Tour Offer  (Read 36392 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Public letter of Response to Benchmark Tour Offer
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2006, 01:57:40 AM »
Hey Rich.  I know you were here a while ago so i'll ask you a question.  I'm looking for Benchmark's licence.  Funny.  I can't find "Benchmark Young Adult School" anywhere.  Since Benchmark is a FULL MEMBER of natsap it is required to be licenced according to NATSAP's guidelines.

I can't find it in the government's list of registered programs (or anywhere on the DOSS website for that matter).
http://http://www.adp.ca.gov/LCB/pdf/lcb_rprt.pdf

Maybe you can help me out.  I'd really like to know what type of licence Benchmark has so I don't contact the wrong people.  I mean i've already got a big friggin list but if you can help me whittle it down i'd be much abliged.

Ps.  A California Private School Affadavit is not a licence.  And it's apparantly illegal to imply that:

"Filing pursuant to this section shall not be interpreted to mean,
and it shall be unlawful for any school to expressly or impliedly
represent by any means whatsoever, that the State of California, the
Superintendent of Public Instruction, the State Board of Education,
the State Department of Education, or any division or bureau of the
department, or any accrediting agency has made any evaluation,
recognition, approval, or endorsement of the school or course unless
this is an actual fact."

You might want to tell your folks at NATSAP that so they can correct your page (and possably your licence membership status):

See the post here about that.

Of course.  If i'm mistaken and Benchmark has a licence of some sort, please feel free to post it here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »
Wait. You don't actually think NATSAP is a legitimate organization, do you?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 01:09:46 PM »
psy will be around to comment, but I can tell you that no, he doesn't.
His concern is that NATSAP has B's "private school affidavit" listed under licenses and accreditations. Very decieving. Parents might assume that the affidavit is one or the other. It should be removed or moved to the body of the information with an explanation.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2006, 12:43:28 PM »
BUMP

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Public letter of Response to Benchmark Tour Offer
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 11:59:17 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Because the ed-con who pitched benchmark to me and my parents advertised it as a Bording school with Therapeutic aspects. That's a relatively new website. The old one is here.

To answer your question simply:They do not adveritise as they are. It looks like a wonderful place when you visit. I was fooled. So were many others.

Students interviewed by prospective students and parents are cherry picked. They make it seem wonderful. You end up thinking: "gee this place seems really nice".

And you were over 18 when this occured? If the facility wasn't as advertised, why didn't you walk out, and call your parents from a payphone? Why didn't you keep a spare twenty bucks hidden in a sock, surely they didn't have 100% physical control over you. What is the worst that could happen if yoru parents came and picked you up early, they wouldn't get their money back?

Actually i did that. I walked the first day i was there. Got like 15-25 miles and called my parents. they where advised to ignore me, and whatever i said, and that it was desperate messures. I walked backed and reentered the program. I still have fond memories of where i stashed my playstation. It was in a bush near a holiday inn. It was there when i got back.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie"
Actually i did that. I walked the first day i was there. Got like 15-25 miles and called my parents. they where advised to ignore me, and whatever i said, and that it was desperate messures.

Yup.  Parents are advised to ignore.  My parents were international at the time, I had no money, and international collect calls aren't possible...  Otherwise I probably would have tried and ended up with the same result.  It's what happened on my first semi-monitored call anyway.  All of a sudden all phone calls were with Carl (parent rep) after that.  What time were you there?
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
Quote from: "Charlie"
Actually i did that. I walked the first day i was there. Got like 15-25 miles and called my parents. they where advised to ignore me, and whatever i said, and that it was desperate messures.

Yup.  Parents are advised to ignore.  My parents were international at the time, I had no money, and international collect calls aren't possible...  Otherwise I probably would have tried and ended up with the same result.  It's what happened on my first semi-monitored call anyway.  All of a sudden all phone calls were with Carl (parent rep) after that.  What time were you there?

99-01 or 02. I was on student councel with amy W, Courtney, amber, blake U, Jason. We where in at the same time. I know almost everyone you menchned in your shout out thingy. I still talk to chad J. some times. I actually graduated hehe. Most of my friends didnt.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 12:46:24 AM »
99-01 or 02. I was on student councel with amy W, Courtney, amber, blake U, Jason. We where in at the same time. I know almost everyone you menchned in your shout out thingy. I still talk to chad J. some times. I actually graduated hehe. Most of my friends didnt.

Chad was a cool guy.  If you get a chance, could you mention that I'd like to get in contact with him. I've been wondering how he's been doing and didn't find him in Facebook/myspace the last time I searched.

Good job with the graduation.  Not sure how you managed that.  I came out thinking it was more about luck and how good a "sucess story" you would make in the marketing than anything else.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 01:21:48 AM »
Quote from: "psy"

Chad was a cool guy.  If you get a chance, could you mention that I'd like to get in contact with him. I've been wondering how he's been doing and didn't find him in Facebook/myspace the last time I searched.

Good job with the graduation.  Not sure how you managed that.  I came out thinking it was more about luck and how good a "sucess story" you would make in the marketing than anything else.

Well, that was cause you where always a whinny bitch. You use to complain about EVERYTHING. I graduated because i did what they wanted me to. I kept my mouth shut, and helped who i could. I did my own thing. I will say one thing. The people who graduated and the people who didnt... we are all doing about the same. I don't think the act of graduating really ment anything special. I'll pass it on to chad though. He has some gf, and he's doing good though.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 01:44:54 AM »
Quote from: "Psy"

Well, that was cause you where always a whinny bitch. You use to complain about EVERYTHING.

Well there was a lot to complain about.  You said yourself graduation was rare (even though they told my parents at the time they had a 97% graudation rate...).  I saw marketing saying one thing and reality being something different.  I felt I was lied to (and they were simultaniously lecturing on "honesty").  I felt it hypocrisy of the highest order.  I felt the number of people who ended up on the streets was absolutely un-acceptable, espeically when most of these kids were just normal kids with ADHD under a great deal of stress.  I felt that if there was something wrong it should be addressed and dealt with.  You don't deal with a problem by ignoring it.  Sure I got in a lot of trouble for speaking out, but I learned to shut up eventually (maybe you weren't there for that part).  They broke me.  I became part of the system.  I started believing I needed the place.  I ratted on people because I thought it was in their own interest to be helped to "follow the program".  I gave 100% to following the program and... I still wasn't allowed to progress.  Then I realized it was a total con and snapped out, but it's a long story.

I was a "whiny bitch", I'll admit.  But not without cause.

I graduated because i did what they wanted me to. I kept my mouth shut, and helped who i could.

Well that was your choice.  My parents taught me not so shut up when you see something wrong... to protest.  If you backed down to save your own skin...  that's your deal.  Not condemning you.  Most people did it.  Not everybody, however was as lucky.  And that's i've concluded it came down to.  Lots tried (really tried) to succeed and were started over at level 1 for arbitrary reasons.  You could have been one of em.

I did my own thing. I will say one thing. The people who graduated and the people who didnt... we are all doing about the same. I don't think the act of graduating really ment anything special. I'll pass it on to chad though. He has some gf, and he's doing good though.

Cool.  It'll be good to get in contact with him again.

Offline M_Hilton

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
I would like to add
AT ONE TIME I HAD A JOB WILL AT BENCHMARK
THEY TOOK MY PAYCHECKS FROM ME AND HELD BACK MOST OF IT
i was only alowed 20 bucks of my 200+ check this wile on "sink or swim"

edit
to people wondering how one ends up there
they pitch to you and the parent
I have ADHD and i have a some issues with learning disabilitys
it was pitched to me that i could get help with getting school work done like i did in my highschool wile going to collage
and then i was and in
and they didnt
i was told i was an addict forced to go to NA and AA meetings i dont drink i dont smoke
they cut off all access to the out side world not internet no calls when you want to

i got lucky i made some friends out there and moved from place to place and i had a trust that i fell back on for awile and now thats dried up
most of it went to paying these people THOUSENDS for me to sit in a MOTEL and eat raman i was given no help with school work when i did FINALY get them to let me go in the first place