Author Topic: Satan rules this world!  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Satan rules this world!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 02:42:08 AM »
In the Annotated bible, one thing sprung out at me right away regarding the date of Jesus' birth. If you look at Luke, you end up with a later date than with the other Gospels. Luke says Mary was pregnant after Cyrenus started his first census. This would put his birth at a later date than when Herod was governor. The Annotated bible calls this a contradiction, and presumably say it is proof that Jesus either didn't exist or that the Gospels are wrong. They don't specify.

In order to draw that conclusion, you already have to assume that conclusion. It is circular reasoning. The conclusion is contained in the premise. The most that can be proven from the difference is that one date is wrong. Since humans are only born once that is all that can be proven. Historical dates are disputed all the time by scholars. When that happens, the dispute is noted, with reasons for and against. That is what neutral research does. No one then concludes that Napoleon or Julius Caesar didn't exist, or that everything written about Napoleon or Julius Caesar is wrong simply because theres two accounts of eithers birthdate or place. But they (the fine folks who contribute to the Annotated bible) do when it comes to Christ. Rather than following normal rules regarding academic neutrality in research, they use the facts in dispute to push an agenda. They are not neutral. To say that a difference in dates between two sources shows that all sources are invalid is just as much of a novice mistake as saying that both dates must be right because the Bible is infallible in every way and in all things. Both views are absurd, and both ignore the obvious simple conclusion that one date is an error, of which the authors may have never reached a compromise, or it was simply never omitted to maintain its journalistic accuracy Vs its historical accuracy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Satan rules this world!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 10:38:17 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Good point.

Replace the word "agnostic" with "faithless"

I cant imagine what a life without some sort of faith would be, or some sort of hope that what the bible says (loosely interpreted) might hold some answers.

The Annotated Bible in the link above is quite unchallenging.  

Ill post some great examples soon.
I do not need the promise of pearly gates and angels with wings..streets of gold...or ten million virgins as many religions state to be happy. I have FAITH that i will live my life to the fullest, watching my children grow and learn...making love to my beautiful wife...eating great food etc. etc.
All the things this life we live holds will be enjoyed by me till my eternal sleep. I can help my fellow man...give to charity...volunteer etc. without the aid of a church, mosque or synagogue.

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
Satan rules this world!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 09:57:10 PM »
Shut up, guy. Noone gives a fuck about god or satan these days.
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]

Offline dbucfan

• View Profile
Satan rules this world!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
Quote from: ""linchpin""
Shut up, guy. Noone gives a fuck about god or satan these days.
Who?? :rofl:
ww.perrysjewelry.com