Author Topic: question please  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »
son in trouble[/u]

Let me be blunt, I am desperate parent. My son's life hangs in the balance and I am terrified and looking for help. About six weeks ago I went in to my son's room to get him for diinner and found him passed out on his floor with cocaine on his desk, he overdosed. I had no idea he had been getting into drugs so heavily and he spent a week in the hospital because he damaged his heart tissue from his heavy drug use.

His doctor at the ER gave him a prescription to Valium 5MG and suggested we seek treatment from NA. I started taking him to meetings but this didn't seem to help. One morning I woke up and he wasn't in his room, only to come home later that day high on crystal methemphetamine and hallucinating from the drug which was scary for the whole family. That was the final straw, and we sought outside help for treatment.

My wife and I took our son, to a local psychiatric teen center inipatient program for drug users. He spent a week there inpatient and this was helpful. He met with a psychiatrist who diagnosed him with major depression, general anxiety disorder, and schizephrenia (this might be temporary from drug use though). He is on multiple medications that were prescribed by this doctor. Our son went into outpatient because the insurance would not pay for inpatient anymore. He began to fail again, when he comes home he always returns to drug use and begins talking about suicide and acts like he doesn't care about his life at all.

Our family is very scared. Our son is a heavy drug user and inpatient therapy, NA, even being arrested have not stopped his destructive behavior. We even tried a local state run program but he ran away and they would not keep him by force, so we feel we are out of options. I am desperately seeking any advice, I feel like I am failing as a parent. I don't know if a program is the right option because of my son's mental health issues. He even took a lightbulb down from the ceiling in his psychiatric hospital room, broke it in his sheets and cut his arms up. They had to tie him down with leather straps and give him thorazine and keep him in isolation for two days The staff said it was gruesome, violent and bloody and when we visited him it was bandaged up and he was in a daze from the heavy medication. We are so frightened, and don't know what to do this is tearing us up inside.

My company's insurance doesn't want to pay for any more inpatient but I feel this is the only place he is safe. He is 17 right now and will be an adult in eight months and this worries me too.

Please help![/u]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:08:56 PM »
All this, and the ER doctor gave him 5mg of Valium?
I don't think so.
You might want to go chat over on Struggling Teens. They drool over this crap.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 09:52:19 PM »
Doctors don't like to dispense a ton of medication. I believe they gave him a prescription of 5mg of Valium, I'm sure it was staggered over the day........maybe taken every 4 hours?

You're in a tough spot Steve. You need to have a heart to heart with your son, and figure out how long he's been using drugs. When did he start behaiving this way? What in his life has recently changed to warrant this behaivor? I firmly believe that there is no way you are going to be able to cure him in 8 months. If you are thinking about sending him away.......keep in mind it will be quite costly. You will find that most people here are anti-program. I am not. I am for programs if they will help. I believe in your case, that you would be making a huge mistake by sending him away to a wilderness camp, or some kind of RTC. In 8 months, which is right around the corner, he will be able to do whatever he wants anyway.

If he is truely suicidal.....being sent away from his family would be the last thing he needs. You need to find what is at the root of his problems. Maybe you should go to therapy as a family if your son cannot open up to you?

Anyway, I will give it some more thought..........good luck to you.
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:20:56 PM »
8/10

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:26:34 PM »
When he came out of the ER he was prescribed to Valium 5MG pills, three times per day taken with meals. His medication regimen was changed when he was admitted the first time to inpatient by his psychiatrist. He is not longer on valium, he is on an assortment of other meds.

Our family did many family sessions with a social worker during his inpatient. We are not hostile towards each other. I don't think our son knows why he is doing the things he does. We had heart to heart in the sense both his parents told him how much we love him and don't want to watch him hurt himself or worse. We all cried together and we know he knows how much we love him. His best friend died one year ago and that is when he started using drugs he told us. There are other things in his life that have affected him as well in recent years.

Last time we had  family meeting with the psychiatrist he suggested we send our son to an RTC. Our insurance only wants to pay for 30 days of RTC, especially because he ran from the last placement after only a couple days. He got high on meth and ended up hospitalized again, and the RTC wouldn't take him back in that condition. He was hearing voices and hallucinating. He says he is open to considering an RTC if he can review the paperwork with us. This is looking to be our only option at this point. I am concerned about the cost, and probably cannot afford a program so at best he will get 30 days of treatment. After that, I don't know what we will do.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:45:53 PM »
9/10

This one will actually work very well on ST. Go try it there.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:15:58 PM »
I apologize for the rude behaivor of some people on here. We just see a lot of people here that work for programs that get a kick out of egging us on with their stories.

I believe that you are for real. Anyway, if your insurance only pays for 30 days then what's the point anyway? There is no RTC out there that is going to magically fix all your problems in 30 days. There is going to be money that comes out of your pocket no matter what.

Do you have $30,000 laying around the house to spend on treatment? Some of these programs may have a way to put you on a payment program of some kind, but beware. Your kid knows 18 is right around the corner. He can choose to just coast through the program knowing that by the time he turns 18 you will not be able to force him to do anything. Then you'll have a son who hates you for sending him away, and be out $30,000.

My advice is to get him the help he needs, while keeping him at home. If he is truely set on killing himself, he will find a way even if in treatment. Take it from me, the ones that are determined to die, will find a way no matter what. I would spend some more time at home, and getting close to him, to understand what his problems are. He will feel more abandoned if you send him away.
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
If you choose to sent him somewhere
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 02:57:04 AM »
If you choose to sent him somewhere bring yourself along.

There are family wilderness programs and you need to be at his side, if you choose to go there for a detox.

There are several good reasons for choosing a familiy program rather than sending him out there on himself:

1) You can read his body languages better than the therapist and are able to step in if they claim that he is manipulating and you can see real pain.
2) You can prevent him from being beaten up.
3) If the programs fails, you would have been at his side to the end. Those valuable moment would be with you the rest of your life.

But beware!

Read the contract VERY carefully. You NEED the option to pull out before time.

You are sending an ill person into the wilderness. People dies out there and mainly because real sickness is not discovered in time.

IF you choose the wilderness option: Be there as a last act of parenthood !

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »
Steve-
Send your kid to Tranqility Bay located in Jamaica, they can keep him until he turns 21. The kind staff members will take his passport away and will not let him leave the country at 18. Our family was in a similar situation to yours when we finally decided we were going to save our son's life and committ ourselves with a long term solution. Our son spent 28 months at TB and came home when he was 20 and matured into an amazing, happy, loving young man. I wish you the best of luck, because without it your son will end up in jail or dead or on the street.
A parent who cares

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 11:07:12 AM »
Delete
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 05:21:31 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 07:01:01 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Steve-
Send your kid to Tranqility Bay located in Jamaica, they can keep him until he turns 21. The kind staff members will take his passport away and will not let him leave the country at 18. Our family was in a similar situation to yours when we finally decided we were going to save our son's life and committ ourselves with a long term solution. Our son spent 28 months at TB and came home when he was 20 and matured into an amazing, happy, loving young man. I wish you the best of luck, because without it your son will end up in jail or dead or on the street.
A parent who cares

You know what/?! FUCK YOU WWASPIE! Why don't you take your money grubbin', blood stained greedy evil hooks out of here and back to your POS BBS! It's not enough that you have HUNDREDS OF WEBSITES spouting your CRAP - but now you gotta co]me here. I bet you are just another parent LOOKING FOR ANOTHER FREE MONTH FOR YOUR KID. You make me sick.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
question please
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Steve-
A parent who cares

Hey, doesn't this belong in the WWASPS forum? Oh that's right......it's been taken over by Sue Scheff, and her crew! Silly me, anyway.....this person is such a troll.......but it was good for a laugh!