Author Topic: thoughts about hyde  (Read 14265 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 08:07:47 AM »
Quote from: ""gary eskow""
Some interesting thoughts here, balanced and without rancor.  Our family was at Hyde for a year and several months, until I was thrown out of the program and the rest of the family decided, given that fact, that it didn't make any sense for them to continue.

I wrote up an account of my experience.  Anyone interested in reading "The Jekyll Side Of Hyde," can e-mail me.

Gary Eskow
www.garyeskow.com

Gary, your experience at Hyde is typical.  It is amazing how the Gaulds and the rest of their crew bully certain parents who question their authority.  I've actually seen worse than your description of what happened to you.  The funniest thing at Hyde is when there is a "concern" meeting for a parent.  A bunch of fools decide that you aren't conforming and thinking the way they want you to think, so they call the troops together and have a "concern meeting" for you.  You sit in the hot seat while the rest of these totally messed up people crucify you and tell you all the things you are not doing right.  The funny part of it is that the ones who are telling you how messed up you are, are the same very ones who have completely screwed up lives, live in the past, haven't dealt with their own issues after being at Hyde for 30 years and can't get it right no matter how many thousands of seminars they have been in.  I watched the same pervert people talk about on this board trying to lead a group of parents and students. They had him in charge of a group meeting when the guy should be locked up for sex crimes.  

Gary, don't be so shocked at your treatment at Hyde.  This is the way they operate.  The best part is that they usually kick people out and keep their money for the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
    • http://www.garyeskow.com
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 08:09:42 AM »
Do the people who post on this site, specifically those who have disturbing experiences at Hyde either as students or parents, feel an obligation to share those experiences with families in crisis who are considering joining the Hyde community?

If so, let me know. I do believe there are committed people at Hyde who are dedicated to helping families. But they have veered off path, in my judgment.  I'm a professional journalist and would be willing to write a piece- no longer than 7,500 words, probably less, that would weave together some of the stories that folks have to tell. This piece would then be submitted to educational consultants and various media outlets. Hyde would, of course, be given the opportunity to be quoted as well.

People would have to be open and reveal their identities...

If you are interested in checking out examples of my writing before contacting me you may do so at www.garyeskow.com

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »
Gary, your experience at Hyde is typical.  It is amazing how the Gaulds and the rest of their crew bully certain parents who question their authority.  I've actually seen worse than your description of what happened to you.  The funniest thing at Hyde is when there is a "concern" meeting for a parent.  A bunch of fools decide that you aren't conforming and thinking the way they want you to think, so they call the troops together and have a "concern meeting" for you.  You sit in the hot seat while the rest of these totally messed up people crucify you and tell you all the things you are not doing right.  The funny part of it is that the ones who are telling you how messed up you are, are the same very ones who have completely screwed up lives, live in the past, haven't dealt with their own issues after being at Hyde for 30 years and can't get it right no matter how many thousands of seminars they have been in.  I watched the same pervert people talk about on this board trying to lead a group of parents and students. They had him in charge of a group meeting when the guy should be locked up for sex crimes.  

Gary, don't be so shocked at your treatment at Hyde.  This is the way they operate.  The best part is that they usually kick people out and keep their money for the rest of the year.[/quote]

Please see the post I submitted while you were submitting yours!
I am sure you are right about everything you wrote- the concern meeting that I was subjected to was quite poorly handled- but do people simply want to complain to each other on this site while retaining their anonymity, or are there a sufficient number of people who have passed through Hyde- particularly the kids, those who have suffered sexual misconduct at staff hands, for example- who are willing to go public?  Why do so many hang onto their anonymity, even after their ties with the school have been severed?

Please explain this one to me--- I don't get it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 09:34:59 AM »
Damn Gary!  You think Joe is sorry he pissed you off yet?

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »

That's funny... revenge is not my motive, although I will share a plan I had with you: if Hyde had not reached an acceptable financial settlement with me that included the protection of my first amendment right to speak about my experience freely (they initially insisted that, despite the "truth before harmony" bit, I refrain from doing so), I was going to actively move into the news community I'm so familiar working with and let the truth do its thing on them.  However, I was satisfied with what we worked out (I would strongly recommend the Hartford attorney, John Williams, we used) and went on to other things.  Now, a year later, feeling relaxed, I'm here to help others who may wish to have their stories heard by the public.  

By the way, if you're uncomfortable posting your names or the details of your experiences here, you can contact me via e mail ([email protected]).  Your privacy will be respected.

Peace,

G

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 11:40:16 AM »

That's funny... revenge is not my motive, although I will share a plan I had with you: if Hyde had not reached an acceptable financial settlement with me that included the protection of my first amendment right to speak about my experience freely (they initially insisted that, despite the "truth before harmony" bit, I refrain from doing so), I was going to actively move into the news community I'm so familiar working with and let the truth do its thing on them.  However, I was satisfied with what we worked out (I would strongly recommend the Hartford attorney, John Williams, we used) and went on to other things.  Now, a year later, feeling relaxed, I'm here to help others who may wish to have their stories heard by the public.  

By the way, if you're uncomfortable posting your names or the details of your experiences here, you can contact me via e mail ([email protected]).  Your privacy will be respected.

Peace,

G

I find this very hypocritical.  Why would Hyde ask someone to keep silent about something when they pride themselves on "the truth?"  It shows me even more how they are full of s-it.  Based on this how do we know what to believe about Hyde and what other things they are not truthful about.  I see lots of distortions on their publicity materials too.  I would not be so critical about this if it were another type of institution, but Hyde specifically teaches the TRUTH and they are telling you to hide the truth???  Hmmmm.....just don't get them!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 11:41:23 AM »

Peace,

G

I find this very hypocritical.  Why would Hyde ask someone to keep silent about something when they pride themselves on "the truth?"  It shows me even more how they are full of s-it.  Based on this how do we know what to believe about Hyde and what other things they are not truthful about.  I see lots of distortions on their publicity materials too.  I would not be so critical about this if it were another type of institution, but Hyde specifically teaches the TRUTH and they are telling you to hide the truth???  Hmmmm.....just don't get them!!

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 11:51:30 AM »
Of course it's hypocritical, but they may feel that Joe's divinity precludes any base behavior on his part from being as it seems. That's one of the definitions of a cult.

Still don't understand why so few on this site give their names, though!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »
Of course it's hypocritical, but they may feel that Joe's divinity precludes any base behavior on his part from being as it seems. That's one of the definitions of a cult.

Still don't understand why so few on this site give their names, though!

I am going to tell you why I don't give my name on this site.  Hyde is a Cult.  At Hyde they prod and manipulate you into telling your inner dark secrets in a way that is humiliating and degrading.  Therefore Hyde knows a lot of very personal information about all who go there.  

Many of us are people in good standing in the community and do not want the whole world to know our life stories.  It is disturbing to think that Hyde might take some kind of revenge, but the idea would not surprise me.  Although I can't speak for the other posters, this is why I personally do not give my name.  Ya see, Hyde still has the power over us!!  

I commend you for having more courage than me.  You weren't there for that long according to your posts.  I was, and therefore Hyde has a lot more "dirt" on me.  Unfortunately I saw many times where "what goes on in the room, stays in the room" did not apply when it relates to Hyde, Joe Gauld, Duncan, Ken, Malcolm, Laura and any of the staff/cult members.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »
I was just coming in here to say what you just did Anon.  From everything I've been able to gather from reading the Hyde site, the postings here and on ISAC, Hyde is no different than any of the other mindrape mills.  They all sprung from the same seed....Synanon/Seed/Straight/WWASPS....all of them.  They use the same 'therapeutic community' approach to 'treatment', confrontational methods, the divulging of secrets and above all, the "trust the process" mentality.  It all serves to break a person down in order to be rebuilt in Hyde's image and keep secret what's done behind closed doors.  They all seem to think that they have "the" answer and it would be oh so difficult for 'outsiders' to understand.  They might 'misinterperet' some of the methods used. :roll:  These places do not tolerate dissent......at all.  Those that have been in operation for many years seem to have a far reach in the LE/court and media community.  People have been harassed and virtually stalked for speaking out about other programs on this site so it's understandable that people are reluctant to use any identifying names.  

You guys are doing a great thing though.  It seems that Hyde has flown under the radar for a long time.  It's good to see some light shine on them for a while.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 01:03:50 PM »
Why don't I tender my name?  Legal reasons.  I was younger and very traumatized, and I signed what you refused to sign, Gary.  I have also experienced postal "stalking" by the Hyde community.  I have seen with my own eyes, in print, in official Hyde literature, words attributed to me that I never said, actions attributed to me that I never did, words that resulted in a bombardment of mail from former classmates.  I do not trust these people one bit.

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 01:09:01 PM »
I am going to tell you why I don't give my name on this site.  Hyde is a Cult.  At Hyde they prod and manipulate you into telling your inner dark secrets in a way that is humiliating and degrading.  Therefore Hyde knows a lot of very personal information about all who go there.  

Many of us are people in good standing in the community and do not want the whole world to know our life stories.  It is disturbing to think that Hyde might take some kind of revenge, but the idea would not surprise me.  Although I can't speak for the other posters, this is why I personally do not give my name.  Ya see, Hyde still has the power over us!!  

I commend you for having more courage than me.  You weren't there for that long according to your posts.  I was, and therefore Hyde has a lot more "dirt" on me.  Unfortunately I saw many times where "what goes on in the room, stays in the room" did not apply when it relates to Hyde, Joe Gauld, Duncan, Ken, Malcolm, Laura and any of the staff/cult members.

Boy, do I get it. My wife is uncomfortable as well, although she's fine with me doing my thing. I certainly understand, although I don't believe Hyde would ever divulge info given privately, within their confines, to the public.  That would be very risky for them to do from a legal perspective.  But you make a great deal of sense, and it's really a shame.

Thank you.

G

Offline gary eskow

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Why don't I tender my name?  Legal reasons.  I was younger and very traumatized, and I signed what you refused to sign, Gary.  I have also experienced postal "stalking" by the Hyde community.  I have seen with my own eyes, in print, in official Hyde literature, words attributed to me that I never said, actions attributed to me that I never did, words that resulted in a bombardment of mail from former classmates.  I do not trust these people one bit.

IBID... what a drag, but you must protect yourself.  

G

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
MindRape Mill is a good word for them, Anne.  I also want to elaborate a bit more for my fellow Hyders.  In the last few weeks I have been perusing some of the other forums, trying to understand the connection and put things a bit more in perspective, also elsewhere on the internet.  I haven't checked out Elan yet, and that may well be illuminating (aren't they both in Maine?).  From what I've read so far, The Seed seems eerily similar.  Regardless whether any unassailable connection can be made, an irrefutable core of Alcoholics Anonymous is clearly at the base of much of Hyde's ideology and practice.  AA, as some of you will recall, was also at the heart of Synanom (aka "Sin Anon").

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
thoughts about hyde
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 01:27:38 PM »
...although I don't believe Hyde would ever divulge info given privately, within their confines, to the public. That would be very risky for them to do from a legal perspective.

Risky, my foot.  

In practical terms, there is no way my paltry unemployed status could possibly compete with the deep pockets of their insurance company.  Even my slightly less paltry pockets when I was still employed can't match up.

Hyde has clearly demonstrated, again and again, a flagrant disregard for "legal prudence", even in very recent history.  Look at how they handled the LD problem.  Same way as in years gone by!

Moreover, it has been my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that they will LIE THROUGH THEIR TEETH when cornered with illegalities on their part. If they can get away with it, they will.  They absolutely do not want to pay any piper.

"TRUTH":  only when convenient, or at someone's else's expense.