Author Topic: brainstorming session: shutting programs down for good  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
brainstorming session: shutting programs down for good
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 01:25:49 AM »
Ready to get owned?

:x :rofl:  :roll: :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 04:20:47 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
If you don't believe this is possable than like MGDP said, you should just give up.

:roll:

but programs have been falling apart as of recently

There are more programs than ever, they are expanding.

I would like to think most parents are in denial.

That's why you'll be another in a long line of ineffective activists, and ultimately disallusioned when you find out the truth.

flier / handout / dvd campaign

Compile information about programs and distrobute them via a website. People could hand out the information locally on a given day, across the country (for maximum effect). Hand them out in shopping malls, in front of movie theatres, churches (yes the "think about the children" crowd can help as well), anywhere where there is enough human traffic. If a documentary was produced a leaflet campaign could turn into a DVD campaign. Blank dvd media is cheap. If the media got wind of what was happening it could open up even more possabilities.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Ok.  That was not nice, or productive.  So.  Unless you have something to add, or suggest, why are you posting?  I don't expect or really want an answer from you.  Just move along back to the dim world of pessimism and leave us alone.

What "truth"?  I know how bad it is.  I know full well how much of a nearly impossable task abolishing programs would be (and as TSW suggests, I believe that would probably be the most effective course of action).  However, i am not as easily disallusioned as you seem to be.  Yes I get depressed at times, especially when things don't turn out so well, but after a while I pick myself up, consider what is at stake, analyze what failed, and try again.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:34:13 AM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 04:31:56 AM »
you are all fools. look at you -- keyboard jockies who talk big with no follow through -- get over yourselves. go pick up a book and read the example of great men like ghandi, jesus and MLK jr. -- these are the real leaders of our time and they weren't hiding in momma's basement talking big under a fake name in cyberspace. unless you are willing to go hunger strike in front of programs full time then shut up. unless you are willing to cause civil disobedience and go to jail then shut up. if you are willing to follow the example of so many martyrs of our time i would respect you -- until then you are all just talk. you fools don't even know what committment is look at these people willing to give their live for their cause.

A Kurdish protester sets fire to himself outside the Greek Parliament in Athens

Well if you think setting yourself on fire would help the situation -- be my guest.

Be sure and send me a tape.

Besides, what do you know about what lengths I would go to if it would stop the suffering.  I simply believe legal options should always come first.

Keep in mind also, that what i say online is my public persona, and may be a bit more "diplomatic" than if i were not on record.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:56:56 AM by Guest »
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 04:40:37 AM »
Funny..................I never, ever saw Ghandi, Jesus or MLK, Jr., set themselves on fire.  Trying to create some macabre dramatic point????   If so, please explain.  I'm lost.  Call me stupid, ignorant (which is entirely possible) or closed-minded........but PLEASE explain that correlation.

you are all fools. look at you -- keyboard jockies who talk big with no follow through -- get over yourselves. go pick up a book and read the example of great men like ghandi, jesus and MLK jr. --

A Kurdish protester sets fire to himself outside the Greek Parliament in Athens

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 08:16:11 AM »
Quote from: ""Three Springs Waygookin""
So is that a Kurd Kebab or a Fried Kurd with curried rice?

::bwahaha2::

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 10:14:08 AM »
I remember the Buddhist monks self-immolating in Vietnam...as I recall, they sat peacefully as they burned.  These Kurds are hopping about like headless chickens.  No dignity.  No diggity.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
Straight and The Seed are long gone.

Only in name.  Pathway in Detroit, SAFE in Orlando and Growing Together in Lake Worth are all former Straights.  They just changed the name.

Every time a hellhole gets shut down, that's another hundred kids being able to go skateboarding and drive around, instead of being in some warped 'level system' where they have to 'earn privileges' just to be able to talk to anyone.

The entire industry is based on pretty much the exact same philosophy and that was created by a certifiable lunatic and attempted murderer.  Read up on Synanon's history.  That and AA is where this whole 'therapeutic community' approach began.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 06:48:13 PM »
Read up on Synanon's history.  That and AA is where this whole 'therapeutic community' approach began.

Whats with all the anti AA bs on this forum? Did you go to a 'therapeutic community' run by AA? I don't think so cause they dont exist.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »
The only thing that will fix this is children's rights, enforceable separately from their parents' wishes.

Family court judges, in custody cases, have set all kinds of precedent for the kind of input kids are competent to make as to their own best interests, at various ages.  That needs to be extended to making it a custody issue for family court whenever parents try to transfer care of their child to a facility for more than three weeks.

When parents transfer their child to a facility, they're admitting they cannot, at that time, care for that child--unless the facility is a strictly academic one.

This admission of inability should automatically trigger close scrutiny by social services and family courts.

Methinks the kinds of parents that send their kids to Programs frequently have parenting practices that would not stand up well to such scrutiny.

An example would be Joan Crawford sending Christina and her brother to ultra-strict "boarding school" in the middle of nowhere--basically a program---because Mommie Dearest had Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

I strongly suspect that a lot of these Program Parents are narcissists, or share many traits with narcissists.

It's glaring in the online "parent support" forums--it really is all about them.

Control freaks are, apparently, usually highly narcissistic.

Julie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 09:20:42 PM »
Did you go to a 'therapeutic community' run by AA?

Programs, from psychiatric hospitals to wilderness programs, use the AA model as part of their program to address the kids alleged drug issues. AA is not a hierarchial organization, it's an ideology that can be adapted to fit many different people's agenda.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2006, 10:42:36 PM »
Whats with all the anti AA bs on this forum? Did you go to a 'therapeutic community' run by AA? I don't think so cause they dont exist.

AA is a sham and a religion.  AA may not actually run a therapeutic community in the sense that we're speaking of here but it works on the same premise.  It uses forced confessions, teaches the powerless crap and in general has unqualified people trying to diagnose and treat everyone the same way.  It's really not that different from programs.

The "success" rate for AA is a whopping 5%.  The rate for spontaneous remission (people just quitting on their own) is the same.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
AA bla bla bla
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 02:41:31 AM »
bla bla bla. AA sucks.
Waaaah.  how dare you.  AA is great
no is isn't. it is the most suckiest
not is isn't it's the bestest.
is too
is not
is too...

Could you guys take it to the AA bashing / defending thread please. :roll:

Next time somebody brings up Synanon's history, please be sure to mention it had a break with AA so the twelve steppers (better than programmies though) don't freak out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 03:41:27 AM »
i think that the only thing that will shut down programmes is cultural change.
If kids who go to programmes lived in countries where there is no such thing as a programme, they would possibly be labelled "quite a handful" or "a bit of a livewire" but the family would have more support from the wider community and would be forced to come up with other ways of dealing with the kid or would just ride out their kids difficult phase.
if kids did not have really excessivel strict drug laws to follow and things like youth cerfews, parents would possibly be less fearful that their kid would end up in jail for every act of adolescent stupidity.
I think it is  easy to label every parent who sends their kid to one of these terrible places a selfish monster but I am not convinced that this is the case every time. Many are probably genuinely scared for their kids and easily manipulated at a time when they are feeling vulnerable. Sure there will always be  mommie dearests,  stepbitches and control freak dads, but it is as unfair to label all progamme parents this way as it is for programmes to call all the kids manipulators and liars.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2006, 03:43:34 AM »
Above poster was me- there were login dramas oz girl
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Get foreign support
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2006, 03:54:27 AM »
You have to network. You need to get your stories told outside the reach of WWASP and Aspens lawyers.

That means Europe, where your parents would get no understanding about hireing someone to take you out of your bed in the middle of the night just because they fell like it.

As hard and tearful it is to remember you torment, it is important to get your story told.

We have done a lot in our country, but still we have people living that have gone through the same kind of torment and abuse some 40 years ago.

One of those groups are:

http://groups.msn.com/GODHAVN

I would personally also try to create websites on the Danish version of wikipedia, so the stories can be told. The public eye should be on what is going on in those institutions. Abuse is only possible when it is hidden.