Author Topic: So what DOES work?  (Read 15346 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Middle ground
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »
There are also options of taking down programs that are neither legal, nor illegal.  For example, smuggling in tape recorders for some trusted students to make creative use of.  Other types of surveilance techniques can also work.  When all the information is collected, send it to the press anonymously (although this is not necessary considering they do not have to release their sources).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
So what DOES work?
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2006, 04:07:10 PM »
I've been warned by TSW to save that type of litigation until after she's out, since she would be at risk of retaliation from the facility.  I've already seen what they do...Not worth the risk of her being seriously harmed.

Media attention would be the same.  After, though...I'm gonna get medieval on their asses in full-on litigious pipe-hittin' fashion.  I'll sue everyone involved, so fucking hard their dead ancestors have to reach for their wallets.

Our shyster is a good one.  I actually trust him, and he's personally motivated.  He was recommended by advocates.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Re: Middle ground
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2006, 04:55:20 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
There are also options of taking down programs that are neither legal, nor illegal.  For example, smuggling in tape recorders for some trusted students to make creative use of.  Other types of surveilance techniques can also work.  When all the information is collected, send it to the press anonymously (although this is not necessary considering they do not have to release their sources).

The facility I'm up against has no trusted students, just informants.  Surveillance would be a bit difficult, too, given the terrain.  I made one visit there and left such a remarkable impression on the staff with my view of their "treatment", they declared me persona non grata until they decide to let me come back.

It would be harder to film anything at PV because of the wilderness aspect, much harder than the Mexican government's easy view of High Impact.  You're right, there are ways to gather info, but some facilities are already aware of the prying eyes of outsiders and take precautions.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »
ZA, if it was me, I'd go nuclear and fucking dare them to do it, with a strong hint that anything they do to her will be used against them.

Maybe it's best that it's not me.

I'm guessing you were a student rather than a parent.

You'd be wrong either way. I'm simply a very interested outsider, with zero personal stake in any of this. Apart from the people I've met through Fornits, none of my friends or acquaintances are in any way involved.

Do people really need a personal stake to say that child abuse is wrong?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
ZA, if it was me, I'd go nuclear and fucking dare them to do it, with a strong hint that anything they do to her will be used against them.

Maybe it's best that it's not me.

Or me.  I second his opinion.  Get your girl out of there by any means necessary.  Staying in that place is far more damaging to her than any physical punishment they could possably hand out.  She will be grateful to you in the long run (and my guess is she is not going to be very friendly with whoever kept her there).

If they break the law and hurt her... well i'll leave it to the imagination.  If she was my daughter - it's probably best not say what i would do to them.

I'm guessing you were a student rather than a parent.

You'd be wrong either way. I'm simply a very interested outsider, with zero personal stake in any of this. Apart from the people I've met through Fornits, none of my friends or acquaintances are in any way involved.

Do people really need a personal stake to say that child abuse is wrong?

No you don't really need a personal stake to undertand that child abuse is wrong (although it does help to understand things).  I said that becuase you seemed to blame the parents more than the program (by supporting lawsuits against the parents).  Many students think their parents knew what was going on when many had no idea (at least mine didn't, and i hated them until i discovered this.  I actually had nightmares in program where my mother was trying to kill me.)

All i'm saying is that lawsuits against the parents would be tear families even further apart, when suing the facility might bring truth out into the open, and help parents realize their kids were not lying after all.

One of biggest pains in the ass of being in program is the frustration of trying to tell the truth to your parents, but never being believed because of a slander campaign perpetrated by the program propogandists.  Parents often trust the program a little too much, thinking, "they must know what they're doing."  It is for this reason i do not blame the parents, most of them are mind-fucked, not sadists.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »
Oh, I believe what my child is saying.  Innocent until proven guilty, right, not the other way around as the programs would have you believe.

Honestly, both of you, I'm very close to snapping and going full-on ballistic and showing up on the door of the STU.  It's very easy to say "I'd storm in and dare them to do this...", but we have an attorney who is advising us to stay back for now, launch hell when she's out.  To go against his advice would cause him to ask to be released from the case, and we do want him to handle this.  I have no patience either, I hate this waiting shit with a passion.  I have family members calling and saying the same things as the two of you.  You know, a lot of kids die in these programs, and that's the kind of physical harm I want to avoid.

Also, the other parent could sue US for some of your suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:30:56 AM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
specific
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2006, 08:28:51 PM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
Also, the other parent could sue US for some of your suggestions.

Hence the reason i was not very explicit about what i may or may not have implied.

I'm not suggesting at all anything illegal (i believe i was explicit in that several posts ago).  I mean, if somebody was hurting / had hurt / had killed my daughter... well i just might sue the dickens out of em  8) .  I hope i'm being crystal clear here.

Don't snap.  Do it legally.  But go for the throat now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2006, 11:00:37 AM »
Well, thanks for the insight you guys.  It has helped.

Now, carry on..............

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 09:00:07 AM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
good point
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »
Quote from: ""MightyAardvark""
To my knowledge and understanding there is no therapeutic technique or approach that shows statisically significant results across a wide range of complaints and ailments when external environmental factors such as inprovement in living environment, relative socio-economic status, use of medication etc are taken into account.

The lesson here is that "What works" will depend exclusively on you and your son.

That's a good point.  Perhaps we should rather be discussing what does Not work.  If it's not listed... er... use common sense?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Update...
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2006, 12:21:55 PM »
My son was diagnosed by a psychiatrist yesterday as having bipolar disorder.  We'll be keeping him close to home, keep him enrolled in his drug / recovery peer group (he likes the people), in treatment with his psych, and might change schools at semester break going to a 'sober school', if we can get in!  We cxld the appt with the educational consultant (you'll be happy to know).

Wish us well.  Thanks again for sharing your POV's.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2006, 02:01:02 PM »
I do wish you the best.  My son is also dx'd with Bi-Polar.  You should be calling his school to set up an IEP to discuss this.  Your child is entitled to this and the school alone can offer services you never even dreamed of.  
My son still has crashes due to his Bi-Polar.  But I no longer think he is being a jerk.  I realize that is part of Bi-Polar, along with the mood swings.  Once he turned 18 he discontinued taking his meds.  He is an adult now so he has that choice.  The episodes have gotten worse, but again, his decision.  I can only hope at some point in his life, he will realize that the medications do help with symptoms.  Until then, we just love who he has become as an adult.  GOD Bless.

Cheryle
***My child was ABUSED & TORTURED at Bethel Boys Academy, Lucedale, MS. (owned/operated Fountain family), aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, now known as Pine View Academy (Fountain family still plays a roll in it)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »
Quote from: ""Terry""
My son was diagnosed by a psychiatrist yesterday as having bipolar disorder. We'll be keeping him close to home, keep him enrolled in his drug / recovery peer group (he likes the people), in treatment with his psych, and might change schools at semester break going to a 'sober school', if we can get in! We cxld the appt with the educational consultant (you'll be happy to know).

Wish us well. Thanks again for sharing your POV's.

On the wall sits a large whiteboard, divided by marker into two halves. One is marked "Fornits", the other "Programmies". The Fornits side is cluttered with little tally marks- the Programmies side is completely blank. The Milk Gargling Death Penalty walks up to the whiteboard, takes a marker off the ledge and pops the cap off, manages to fit yet another tally mark on the Fornits side, snaps the cap back on and puts it down on the ledge, and walks off, nodding solemnly.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »
How dare you interfere with my work! How DARE you talk this woman out of sending her child to an institution I refer to!

I'll get you for this. I'll SUE YOU ALL!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
So what DOES work?
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2006, 03:14:47 PM »
SLAPP.