Author Topic: What the hell is a 'non verbal learning disorder'??  (Read 873 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What the hell is a 'non verbal learning disorder'??
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:48:15 AM »
I'm not knocking or advocating Americorps, I just came across that and wondered if this was yet another in a long series of questionable (to be polite) "disorders".

http://www.strugglingteens.org/cgi-bin/ ... 2;t=001292

There are several teens/young adults from the NLD (nonverbal learning disorder) list I am on who are doing Americorps this year. At least one was a mildly troubled young man, who had begun to experiment with marijuana. He was due to attend college this fall, but decided to defer and do Americorps instead. So far, all the kids are having a very positive experience with Americorps and are doing very well. The parents say the experience is really giving their teens/young adults a dose of maturity and a taste of the the real world, but in a very good way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dr Phil

• View Profile
What the hell is a 'non verbal learning disorder'??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »
found and read this...

ASPERGER's DISORDER AND NONVERBAL LEARNING DISABILITIES:
How are These Two Disorders Related to Each Other?

by David Dinklage, PhD

There is clearly a great deal of overlap between Asperger?s Disorder (AD) and Nonverbal Learning Disabilities (NVLD) ? so much so that it is possible that the symptoms of each diagnosis describe the same group of children from different perspectives, AD from either a psychiatric/behavioral perspective, and NVLD from a neuropsychological perspective.  The specific conventions of these diagnoses may lead to a somewhat different group of children meeting diagnostic criteria, but it is not clear that this reflects something ?true? in nature.  That is, it may only be convention that separates these two groups.

One is reminded of the story of the six blind men who were asked to describe an elephant.  Each man grabbed a different part of the creature (the snake-like trunk vs. the tree-like leg), and gave an accurate description from his own particular perspective ? but each man thought the others were completely mistaken!

Studies conducted by the Yale Child-Study Group suggest that up to 80% of children who meet the criteria for AD also have NVLD.  While there are no studies on overlap in the other direction, most likely children with the more severe forms of NVLD also have AD.  Children from both groups are socially awkward and pay over-attention to detail and parts, while missing main themes or underlying principles.  However, by convention, the two groups differ in the range of severity.  Professionals reserve an AD diagnosis for children with more severe social impairment and behavioral rigidity; some symptoms may overlap with high functioning autism.  There are degrees of severity within AD but not to the extent that is acceptable in diagnosing NVLD.  These degrees can range from extreme autistic behavior to cases where the social difficulties are very subtle and the academic/cognitive difficulties are more prominent.

Here is a brief outline of the diagnostic criteria for AD and the pattern of neuropsychological findings in NVLD.  While the overlap is apparent, the emphasis is different because criteria for NVLD focuses on academic issues as well as specific test findings and is not purely descriptive.  This also results in different means of making the diagnosis (testing vs. observing).

Asperger's Disorder (AD) is characterized by:

A.    Qualitative impairment in social interaction, including:

Failure to use non-verbal social skills (i.e. eye contact, gestures, body posture, facial expressions).

Developmentally inappropriate peer relationships.

Lack of spontaneous sharing of enjoyment and interests with other people.

Lack of social and emotional reciprocity.  

B.    Restricted, repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities:

Preoccupation that is overly intense and narrow.

Inflexible adherence to non-functional or peripheral routines.

Stereotypic or repetitive motor movements.

Persistent preoccupation with parts of objects.

C.    These problems taken together (A plus B) present significant challenges in the lives of people with AD as they attempt to live in a ?neurotypical? world and meet the expectations of others.

D.    There is no general language delay.

E.    There is no severe global cognitive impairment.

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities (NVLD)

A.    NVLD can be conceptualized as an imbalance in thinking skills ? intact linear, detail oriented, automatic processing with impaired appreciation of the big picture, gestalt or underlying theme.

B.    It is not nearly as common as language-based learning disabilities, but this may be a phenomenon created by environmental demands (i.e., our societal demands for precision skills in reading assure that even the most subtle language-based LD cases are identified).

C.    Typically social/psychiatric concerns are raised before academic problems are identified.

D.    While the overlap is not complete, NVLD children may meet the criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorder ? Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS), Asperger?s Disorder, or Schizotypal Personality.

more... http://www.nldontheweb.org/Dinklage_1.htm

interesting. i know that apserger's is very much real, my roomate is an aspie to the 't'. lucky for him he is the best computer programmer for the company he works for or his akward social skills would get him booted real fast. if NVLD is anything like asperger's.. the kids are at a serious disadvantage i would surmise. my roomate tells me stories of him getting made fun of and picked on throughout his school years even into college. i couldn't imagine having to go through that... living in your own world unable to connect with others. outside the rigid structure of normal school they seem to excel in whatever activity it is they enjoy. my friend enjoyed computers as a child so he went with it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
It\'s time to get real!?