Author Topic: Bonuses for Keeping Patients in Treatment-Ethics Bombshell  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Bonuses for Keeping Patients in Treatment-Ethics Bombshell
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »
From a staff member:

"The attrition rate of counselors and students was so bad that Len instituted a bonus system based on how many students you retained in your PG. If you had a 100% retention rate you would get a bonus of 25% of your salary. (If) it went down to 50% retention that equaled something like at 7% bonus... Obviously this is a big ethical problem."

So, counselors were given financial incentives to keep their kids enrolled by any means necessary.

I have a strong suspicion that this is going to be a very big deal in the lawsuit.

Using a conflict of interest to increase the bottom line.  What in hell were these people thinking?  This is going to bite you, big time.  This is such a clear violation of ethics and patient rights that I'm having a difficult time putting it into words.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 01:15:58 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 02:30:39 PM »
Holy shit!!!  If this can be proven by either written policy (obviously highly doubtful, even they can't be that stupid) or employee testimony they are seriously FUCKED!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 02:31:39 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Holy shit!!!  If this can be proven by either written policy (obviously highly doubtful, even they can't be that stupid) or employee testimony they are seriously FUCKED!!

Several staff members will testify to this fact - current and former.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »

It appears that Len passed out a spreadsheet delineating the "bonus structure" based on retention.  I'm awaiting delivery of a copy.

Any staff have a copy to post in the meantime?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:03:15 PM »
What was that?    Did you guys hear that sound?

I think I heard Buchi whimper a little...maybe even a sob.

Don't worry Buch, I'm sure Spoonie will get you through this latest "attack by a few disgruntled parents"

Of course if Spoonie's not available I'm sure Chuck might be.

:wink:

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 09:07:31 AM »

No. of Students...............Bonus..................Rentention
14....................................25.0%....................93% -100%
13....................................22.5%....................86% - 92%
12....................................20.0%....................79% - 85%
11....................................17.5%....................72% - 78%
10....................................10.0%....................65% - 71%
9.......................................7.5%.....................58% - 64%
8.......................................5.0%.....................51% -57%
7 and below....................0.0%.....................50% or below  

Guidelines for the Bonus Plan:

The bonus is based on the Retention Percentage.
To Receive a bonus the peer group must graduate OVER 50% of peer group members.

"I'm sorry, Johnny.  No, you won't be going home any time soon.  I mean, I need the money.  You can understand that, can't you?  Now get yourself ready - you're going on intervention.  I got a call from your folks yesterday and they wanted to bring you home.  They feel you've 'grown enough.'  Looks like you're just not ready to go home after all..."

This makes me sick to my stomach.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »
Look at it this way:

If some counselor had 14 kids in his/her peer group going into the final two months or so before graduation, that one potential drop-out represents a ten thousand dollar bonus.

Do you have any idea what a hideous conflict of interest this represents?

Let's suppose a violent child is two weeks away from graduation and viciously assaults another child, who reports the assault to his counselor.  What incentive does a counselor with a ten thousand dollar bonus riding on that kid have for reporting it up the chain of command or calling the police, or recommending expulsion, or seeking proper medical care, or telling the childrens' parents, or ANY OF THE RIGHT THINGS TO DO???

This is insane!
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Georgia Board of Psychologists
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?t ... section=19

(6) Engaged in any unprofessional, immoral, unethical, deceptive, or deleterious conduct or practice harmful to the public, which conduct or practice materially affects the fitness of the licensee or applicant to practice a business or profession licensed under this title, or of a nature likely to jeopardize the interest of the public, which conduct or practice need not have resulted in actual injury to any person or be directly related to the practice of the licensed business or profession but shows that the licensee or applicant has committed any act or omission which is indicative of bad moral character or untrustworthiness; unprofessional conduct shall also include any departure from, or the failure to conform to, the minimal reasonable standards of acceptable and prevailing practice of the business or profession licensed under this title;

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/acrobat/PLB/ ... apt510.pdf

510-6-.02 Disciplinary Sanctions.

(1) The Board shall have the authority pursuant to O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-19 to refuse to grant a license to an applicant or to revoke or discipline a licensee upon a finding by a majority of the Board that the licensee or applicant has committed a violation under
O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-19 and/or 43-39-13.

(2) For purposes of O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-19(a)(6), behaviors (acts, knowledge, and practices) that are unprofessional, immoral, unethical, deceptive, or which fail to meet the minimal reasonable standards of acceptable and prevailing practice of psychology, shall
include but not be limited to any act or practice which violates the Code of Ethics or the Code of Conduct established by the Board. This applies to the psychologist and to anyone under his or her supervision.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 11:56:02 AM »
Quote from: ""Dysfunction Junction""
Look at it this way:

If some counselor had 14 kids in his/her peer group going into the final two months or so before graduation, that one potential drop-out represents a ten thousand dollar bonus.

Do you have any idea what a hideous conflict of interest this represents?

Let's suppose a violent child is two weeks away from graduation and viciously assaults another child, who reports the assault to his counselor.  What incentive does a counselor with a ten thousand dollar bonus riding on that kid have for reporting it up the chain of command or calling the police, or recommending expulsion, or seeking proper medical care, or telling the childrens' parents, or ANY OF THE RIGHT THINGS TO DO???

This is insane!

Keep in mind that this is PER PEER GROUP.  Since all counselors have two groups there is a potential for getting up to 50% of your salary in bonuses if you kept all of your students in both groups.  For a counselor making 40K per year, that is a 20K bonus.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 03:43:17 PM »
This is revolting. Parents are being lied to, told their kids desperatly need help, when in fact just like all things at HLA, the only thing that matters in the bottom line.

I would really really really love for any one of you God damn retard puppets try and defend this.

I guess I shouldnt have my hopes to high, all of you are to weak, stupid, and impotent to even try.

Not to worry though, I'll be in the front row watching Little Buch, in his little booster seat stammer through some half assed explination while he tries to read Joey's cue cards, at the same time of course  I'll be laughing as Chuckie and Spoonie hold each other and cry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Georgia Board of Psychologists
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/GaCode/?t ... section=19

(6) Engaged in any unprofessional, immoral, unethical, deceptive, or deleterious conduct or practice harmful to the public, which conduct or practice materially affects the fitness of the licensee or applicant to practice a business or profession licensed under this title, or of a nature likely to jeopardize the interest of the public, which conduct or practice need not have resulted in actual injury to any person or be directly related to the practice of the licensed business or profession but shows that the licensee or applicant has committed any act or omission which is indicative of bad moral character or untrustworthiness; unprofessional conduct shall also include any departure from, or the failure to conform to, the minimal reasonable standards of acceptable and prevailing practice of the business or profession licensed under this title;

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/acrobat/PLB/ ... apt510.pdf

510-6-.02 Disciplinary Sanctions.

(1) The Board shall have the authority pursuant to O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-19 to refuse to grant a license to an applicant or to revoke or discipline a licensee upon a finding by a majority of the Board that the licensee or applicant has committed a violation under
O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-19 and/or 43-39-13.

(2) For purposes of O.C.G.A. Secs. 43-1-19(a)(6), behaviors (acts, knowledge, and practices) that are unprofessional, immoral, unethical, deceptive, or which fail to meet the minimal reasonable standards of acceptable and prevailing practice of psychology, shall
include but not be limited to any act or practice which violates the Code of Ethics or the Code of Conduct established by the Board. This applies to the psychologist and to anyone under his or her supervision.

Contact Info for GA Board of Psychologists:

237 Coliseum Drive
Macon, GA 31217-3858
Board Offices
478.207.1354 (fax)
Ms. Dena Kirkman

https://secure.sos.state.ga.us/myverifi ... laint.aspx

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 10:51:16 AM »
curious that there's been no replies from the HLA sheep...

i suppose they don't want to defend this policy because anyone who had actually RECEIVED the bonus will be reported for ethics violations that will prevent them from being licensed (some day, when you leave HLA you will NEED a license to practice).  just a thought.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 11:09:51 AM »
Actually, I think you would be hard pressed to find a peer group that retained 50% of its students.  They typically lose about 60% of the original group.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 02:35:54 PM »
Hello Ms. Kirkman,

I am writing you this letter to inform you about an unethical practice at Hidden Lake Academy (HLA).

Dr. Leonard Buccellato has instituted a "bonus structure" at HLA to combat poor retention of its attendees.  Because of rampant attrition, HLA is offering cash "bonuses" to its "Peer Group Counselors" (unlicensed, largely uneducated staff providing therapy to HLA attendees) if they are able to retain members on their case lists.  This is highly unethical, if not illegal.

Let me explain.  These counselors make about $40k per year to provide therapy for two "peer groups" consisting of 14 or more attendees each.  If the counselors can retain attendees, they recieve a financial bonus for doing so, regardless of whether or not those particular attendees are appropriate for treatment or even need treatment at all.  This is quite clearly an abhorrent conflict of interest.

Let's have a look at the structure of the bonuses, shall we?

No. of Students...............Bonus..................Rentention
14....................................25.0%....................93% -100%
13....................................22.5%....................86% - 92%
12....................................20.0%....................79% - 85%
11....................................17.5%....................72% - 78%
10....................................10.0%....................65% - 71%
9.......................................7.5%.....................58% - 64%
8.......................................5.0%.....................51% -57%
7 and below....................0.0%.....................50% or below

As you can see from the chart, a $40k, untrained, unlicensed, uncertified "counselor" can receive up to a TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BONUS to keep his/her caseload at HLA, whether the children require HLA's services or not.  What incentive does that counselor have to address the real needs of those clients?

Let's suppose a violent child is two weeks away from graduation and viciously assaults another child, who reports the assault to his counselor. What incentive does a counselor with a ten thousand dollar bonus riding on that kid have for reporting it up the chain of command or calling the police, or recommending expulsion, or seeking proper medical care, or telling the childrens' parents, or ANY OF THE RIGHT THINGS TO DO???   This is only one potential scenario for keeping inappropriate clients in treatment against their will.

Ms. Kirkman, I strongly urge you to initiate a full and thorough investigation of this extremely disturbing practice (and many others as well) at HLA.  It is incumbent upon you and your organization to put a stop to the abuses suffered by innocent children and to choke off the ill-gotten proceeds from the perpetrators of such abuses.

Should you require further supporting evidence of this practice I will gladly put you in touch with former administrators from HLA who will testify to these facts.

Best Regards,

Please send any information you have to:

Ms. Dena Kirkman
[email protected]

She will be spear-heading one of the state investigations into HLA.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 11:04:15 AM »
Keep those calls, letters and emails coming.  This issue is going to be vigorously examined ion the next three weeks.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control