Author Topic: ,  (Read 51359 times)

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« on: February 22, 2003, 02:49:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »
Hi "M"! Welcome to the board! I got the impression that no one has responded to you yet, so I thought I would! My name is Leigh Bright, I was in Florida and Virginia Straight in 1982. I've been working on a book for several years and have been compiling stories of survivors. We are not few - but many. We all heal at our own rates, but I think that most of us are overcoming the brainwashing they subjected us to. I don't think too many people on the board are pro-Straight, although no doubt a few are. Unfortunately, they don't speak up much because many share your opinion of not wanting to hear from them. Quite personally, I DO want to hear from them, but then - I also have a desire to present both sides. 'Course, I completely understand what you are saying. It can be frustrating to converse with someone who thinks the abuse you suffered was somehow "your own fault." SIGH. Oh well. We don't have to agree with what they say, just that they have a right to say it. Anyway, "M" - if you are interested in telling me your story, you can email me at: [email protected]    
I promise, I'm definitely NOT Pro-Straight!!!!!!

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 02:46:00 PM »
I was in Dallas in 90.  However, I probably know a lot of the people you were in with.  If you like, send me the name list you have via e-mail and I will try to fill it in a bit for you.

[email protected]
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 02:49:00 PM »
We get very few people from Dallas around here.  I would say maybe 6-7 people that I know of post every now and again. As compared to the number of people from the other programs.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."

Offline Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 03:17:00 PM »
Anybody know why this is? Why are there so few people from Dallas around? Especially from Richardson.

It's disturbing....

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 03:37:00 PM »
Possibly because it was one of the shorter-lived programs (again, compared to the other branches).  I dont know.  Our group was pretty big 150-200 people at any given time during my program.  We got half of the Southern California clients too towards the end of my time there.  I have never seen one person here from Southern California post.  Not one.

Doesnt mean they arent out there, or even reading this board and chosing to not be involved.

Offline jason999

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
Hey- what's up.  I'm around.

Talked to Delaney Clark & Heath Duncan recently as well...

-j
[email protected]

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2003, 09:45:00 PM »
To Heath?  Really? I remember him....he dated my hateful host sister for some time after I left. How is he?  He probably wouldnt remember me.

Offline glider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
I was in both the Richardson and Irving Dallas Straights and then transferred to LA. Jason, its good to see your post, say Hi to Heath for me if you see him.
I haven't been at this forum in awhile so its good to see a few more posts from Dallas people, I got a feeling that more and more will eventually find their way to this forum.
~John

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2003, 10:49:00 PM »
Having gone through Straight at it's peak, I for one know damn well there are over 600 survivors in the Tampa Bay area alone.  I went through from June '78 til August '79 and remained an active 7 stepper until Oct '82.  It has been around 22 years and so much has changed in this country that it makes it real easy to bury it away in the past.
I can compare the level of the frustration to a guy I met in a sportsbar once who was at the Baseball Stadium that had the ill fated "Disco Demolition" that resulted in wholesale rioting.
Out of all these people in the place, I was the only one that remembered the event and when I asked him what it was like, he lit up like a Christmas Tree and told me all about it.  The point is, that up until that point he felt as if all the other folks that had witnessed that event had left the planet or something.  I myself, was at Tampa Stadium in 1977 when Led Zeppelin left the stage due to lightning and rain and the crowd tore the place to shreds, but I seldom meet anyone else that was there.  Now these are normal everyday experiences I am talking about, but when you tackle an experience as heavy as Straight, few people are willing to talk about it.  In the '60's the war was fought in the sweltering jungles of Vietnam.  In the 70's and 80's the war was brought home and fought in sweltering warehouses and we were the fodder that served the needs of the government.  I have returned to the warehouse that still houses a piece of my soul and the floor still bears hundreds of imprints of hundreds of chair legs that held hundreds of teens timeless while their lives were put on hold for the "convienience" of their gullible parents.
And then there is denial plain and simple.  What we went through is so unbelievable to most people and so hard to get across, most folks just bury it and move on.  After all that is the American Way.  I have been seeing a therapist for 14 damn years, and it was not until 2002, when Mike Sherman had the first conference in St. Pete, that I had something tangible to bring in to my therapist and discuss.  Up until that point, I figured that my therapist would wind up needing a therapist if I ever tried to bring up Straight.  The shit we went through is too heavy duty for even licensed professionals to deal with.  We are just as messed up in the head and heart as any Viet Nam Veteran ever was, only nobody knows and nobody cares.  Hopefully that all will change.
take care, and know that you are not alone.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 12:54:00 AM »
I was one of the brainwashed that helped open the Dallas SYNANON IN 1986.  I came from St. Petersburg on 4th phase. 6 months on 1st phase. Damn Bastards. Oh, I mean WIZARDS. I remember them torturing those victims (misbehavers). I saw the suicide attempts. I saw the carvings, the restraints. Told to turn the "f--around and look straight" as another one runs for the door. Now he's feeling the pain. Got to keep motivating like they are not insane. Lets have a song like zippidy-doo-da-day, want some pain today if you don't obey. Or BINGO i THINK WAS HIS NAME-O.  Two more head for the door. DESTROYED THEY ARE TAKEN AWAY. Only distant screams now. But its time to play their GAME. Don't get called on, you're blown away. The pack is hungry. Lets get in his face. Lets break him today. They attack. Lining them up its no mistake.  Lets break him today.  He won't obey. NOT THE PROGRAM (7 OR 12 STEPS) but their "GAME". So your brothers and sisters begin to show you how to play.  Lead by the leaders who have spun their spells.   One by One they come yelling with all their game.  I tell you no lies.  How could I?  Weren?t you there that day?  They have done well with their prey. They broke him today.  He is under their spell.  Hope you can take it its just been one day.  (I am guilty of their ways).  Have a seat we have more to feed upon today. OH, And by the way ?does the group have something to say?.

?WE LOVE YOU?   

I know the people you are asking about but have not kept in touch with anybody. I went on trainee for three months. They said i broke my 6 months. I felt something was up. I said i have to use the restroom and I never returned to the building.  The few that began Dallas hung out for awhile. We all began to fall. Some had during their program.
I will try to find out more. If anyone is
interested.

They lied i'm still alive.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »

Offline mithygato

• View Profile
    • http://mithygato@aol.com
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 08:13:00 PM »
I was in Richardson Straight in 88/89.
I ran off after witnessing and enduring alot of mental and physical abuse.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity-even under the most difficult cirumstances-to add deeper meaning to his life.  It may remain brave, dignified an

Offline aboutagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »
On 2003-05-23 17:13:00, mithygato wrote:

"I was in Richardson Straight in 88/89.

I ran off after witnessing and enduring alot of mental and physical abuse."

Yeah. I was 15 when I went into Straight. I had already been in another 18 month boot camp. I remember it being pretty horrible when I was there. I stuck around AA a year and a half after I graduated. I didn't do "After Care" though.

I was shooting heroin by 19. I went from normal teen-age rebel to shooting meth and junk and living on the streets before the age of 20. I had years of self destructive drug use and bad choices after Straight.

It's been a long hard road but I'm me again, after a long wait, and lots of time to heal from a lot more than just Straight, but that's another story... another time.

Nice to have a new name on the list -

Offline mithygato

• View Profile
    • http://mithygato@aol.com
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2003, 10:27:00 AM »
To: Mo
or Princess Leah

Hey,

It sounds like Straight made you do even harder drugs to escape all the madness.
I remember 13 year olds in there hearing about how you shoot up drugs - I thought at the time wow I don't even know how to do that and I'm 17.
It was like prisoners teaching the youngins how to pick a lock or rob a bank.

That's horrible that it just got worse for you when you left - it was the same for me in some aspects.
It was the same for a lot of people I'm sure.
I hate those people so much it makes me want to scream.

You mentioned that you are you again and that's awesome.
Be strong and don't let anyone tell you what to do.
Since I found this site last week I have talked to a lot of people that express the same feelings as we do.

From the picture you posted of yourself and your daughter it looks like you've got a great life (Richardson string).
Take care and know that there are other survivors like us who honestly do care.  Hopefully programs like Straight will be killed off by people like us who know what it still feels like. . . even 14 years later.

Live for the day!
Peace and best wishes.
David
M.I.A
Straight Richardson Tx.  88/89 ::bwahaha2::
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity-even under the most difficult cirumstances-to add deeper meaning to his life.  It may remain brave, dignified an