Author Topic: INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION  (Read 15198 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 01:08:23 PM »
ummmm ....

What would one think if I were to tell you that Montana's House Majority Leader Roy Brown (R), had a child who spent nearly 2 years in a Montana program?

Would this have any bearing on .... anything?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline egypt has pyramids

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »
:o
f everybody looked the same we\'d get tired of looking at each other

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
ummmm ....

What would one think if I were to tell you that Montana's House Majority Leader Roy Brown (R), had a child who spent nearly 2 years in a Montana program?

Not surprising. Which one? How do you come by this info? Is it pubic?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 04:50:36 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Not surprising. Which one? How do you come by this info? Is it pubic?

Maybe TheWho told them; TheWho knows everything!  :lol:

Offline Ganja

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
:rofl:  :lol:  ::bwahaha::

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 09:35:10 PM »
NADASI AT WILDERNESS TREATMENT CENTER
(January 5, 2007) Ben Dorrington, Admissions Director of Wilderness Treatment Center, Marion, MT, 406-854-2832, announced that Dr. Chris Nadasi is their new consulting psychologist. Dr. Nadasi is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Certified School Psychologist and has worked with other programs including Montana Academy and he was Clinical Director at Summit Preparatory School. Dr. Nadasi will perform initial psychological assessments on all clients and be available to perform any expanded testing as well as educational evaluations. He replaces Dr. James Murphy in this role.

I can't find Nadasi OR Murphy. Someone else want to give it a whirl. I'd hate to wrongly accuse either of not being licensed.
http://app.mt.gov/lookup/
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 01:02:46 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
NADASI AT WILDERNESS TREATMENT CENTER
(January 5, 2007) Ben Dorrington, Admissions Director of Wilderness Treatment Center, Marion, MT, 406-854-2832, announced that Dr. Chris Nadasi is their new consulting psychologist. Dr. Nadasi is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Certified School Psychologist and has worked with other programs including Montana Academy and he was Clinical Director at Summit Preparatory School. Dr. Nadasi will perform initial psychological assessments on all clients and be available to perform any expanded testing as well as educational evaluations. He replaces Dr. James Murphy in this role.

I can't find Nadasi OR Murphy. Someone else want to give it a whirl. I'd hate to wrongly accuse either of not being licensed.
http://app.mt.gov/lookup/

discoveringmontana.com, select "find a licensed professional"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »
Mercer vying for a spot on PAARP?

Mission Mountain School
Swan Valley, MT
John Mercer Testimony To Montana Legislature
Head and Co-Founder
406-754-2580
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewforum.php?f=38

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 11:42:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
ummmm ....

I would imagine, gentle reader, that it would have about the same impact as knowing that Florida's new governor, Charlie Crist, is most likely a proud Seed graduate.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Deborah/ Montana hb 288/ Whispering Pines/ Spring Creek
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 06:26:37 PM »
I have a few questions for Deborah. How did Trudy Schmidt's hb 288 get a last minute amendment that allows adults/managers/workers with a history of criminal offenses to have access to students in programs?Who pressed for this amendment in the final minutes and why???? Who is this Jim Dorrian guy from California who is hiring lobbyists and spending a bunch of money on hb 288 in Montana?There are rumors locally that he is a part of Spring Creek Lodge. There are also rumors that he is opening a program named Whispering Pines that is located 10 miles away from Spring Creek. For some reason there is allot of secrecy around who is the MONEY behind Whispering Pines. There is a artical in the Sanders County Ledger, the local paper that Mike Linderman is going to be the new manager at Whispering Pines. He worked at Spring Creek Lodge at the time the girl commited suicide there. He was is charge of their treatment program and I have heard had contact with the girl. Glen Schenavar also worked or was paid by Spring Creek Lodge and he is listed as manager of operation of Whispering Pines. There are several local people who have said that he had a serious incident with a female student at Spring Creek on a wilderness trip he was in charge of.There are several other Spring Creek employee's that are rumored to work there. Is there a chance that these 2 programs are 1. Or just another corporation with allot of money that thinks It / he needs more MONEY?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 11:03:05 PM »
How did Trudy Schmidt's hb 288 get a last minute amendment that allows adults/managers/workers with a history of criminal offenses to have access to students in programs?
Last I read, everyone gets a background check, which can be waived if the employee has a professional/occupational license.  :roll:

Who pressed for this amendment in the final minutes and why????
Good question. SB101 didn?t pass, sb288 did. Maybe because a Sen and Rep own programs? Neither bill was adequate. Leaves a lot to be desired. Inspections every TWO years? Program may not be inspected at all if certified by an outside organization, like JCAHO.  :rofl:
What a waste of time and tax dollars.

Who is this Jim Dorrian guy from California who is hiring lobbyists and spending a bunch of money on hb 288 in Montana?
Good question. VC'ist. You know more than I, and I couldn't find any connections between him and the industry.

There are rumors locally that he is a part of Spring Creek Lodge. There are also rumors that he is opening a program named Whispering Pines that is located 10 miles away from Spring Creek. For some reason there is allot of secrecy around who is the MONEY behind Whispering Pines. There is a artical in the Sanders County Ledger, the local paper that Mike Linderman is going to be the new manager at Whispering Pines.

Post that article.

He worked at Spring Creek Lodge at the time the girl commited suicide there. He was is charge of their treatment program and I have heard had contact with the girl. Glen Schenavar also worked or was paid by Spring Creek Lodge and he is listed as manager of operation of Whispering Pines. There are several local people who have said that he had a serious incident with a female student at Spring Creek on a wilderness trip he was in charge of.There are several other Spring Creek employee's that are rumored to work there. Is there a chance that these 2 programs are 1. Or just another corporation with allot of money that thinks It / he needs more MONEY?

Do VCs every have enough money? Is Whispering Pines advertised anywhere? I couldn't find anything.

What irony. Looks at this book review I found:
By Evil Means : A Phoebe Siegal Mystery
From Publishers Weekly
Gritty realism and a modern sensibility permeate this promising debut set in Billings, Mont. Half-Jewish, half-Irish Catholic, PI Phoebe Siegel is hired by farm wife Mary Kuntz to investigate the extreme personality change that has transformed her formerly drug-abusing teenage daughter Jennifer since she began treatment with Dr. Victor Stroud at the Whispering Pines sanatorium. Initially reluctant, Phoebe takes the case when Mary discloses that a Stroud-induced complaint by Jennifer may have led to the suicide of Phoebe's beloved policeman brother, Ben, a few years earlier. Phoebe, who discovers Mary is the daughter of one of the most powerful men in the state, sneaks into Whispering Pines and finds disturbing evidence of coercion and blackmail. Another young Whispering Pines patient dies under questionable circumstances after begging for help, further galvanizing Phoebe, who has been dogged by a mysterious police car and warned off the case by her cop uncle. Siegel, a tough and charming heroine with angst, unresolved conflicts and extensive family ties, is a welcome addition to swelling ranks of female PIs.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal
As Phoebe Siegel (in her debut mystery) investigates a drug treatment center near Billings, Montana, she is pushed to the limit both mentally and physically. Standard elements soon pile up: the foreboding medical facility, the malevolent director with his icy female assistant and terrified patients, evidence of a potential conspiracy and cover-up, and connections to the recent questionable death of Phoebe's policeman brother. As she nears the truth, Phoebe experiences the usual break-ins, threats, and sudden realizations. A routine effort, perhaps of interest to larger collections.
Copyright 1993 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 05:01:58 PM »
Bill would oversee behavioral programs for troubled teens
By CHELSI MOY
Tribune Capitol Bureau

HELENA ? The state needs to keep a watchful eye on more than two dozen private behavioral programs for troubled teens in Montana, supporters of a bill to regulate these facilities argued Monday.

Droves turned out Monday to testify on the proposal before the House Education Committee. It's one of two bills this session proposing to license the facilities and to create an advisory board to oversee them.

Sen. Trudi Schmidt, D-Great Falls, testified Monday in favor of her bill before the House Education Committee.

A bill by Rep. Bob Lake, R-Hamilton, has been transmitted to the Senate.
Their bills have different guidelines for the composition of the advisory board.

And Schmidt's legislation has a shorter timeline for the facilities to comply with state regulations.

Montana has one of the highest populations of these types of programs in the West, Schmidt said, and is among the few Western states that don't regulate them. Of the 28 in Montana, 11 are in isolated, forested areas of Sanders County, she said.

Schmidt said she was astonished to learn that private therapeutic programs serving troubled youth are not regulated by either the state or federal governments. Teens dealing with issues such as drug abuse, a history of suicide attempts and other serious emotional problems arrive at these institutions from across the country for help, often as a last resort.

The Choteau Youth Ranch is the closest such program to Great Falls.

The ranch is closely involved with the community.

But little is known about many of the programs, which is all the more reason to regulate them, Schmidt said. She argued for oversight to prevent unethical practices and to assure parents who send their children to these programs that they are safe.

Schmidt said her bill is not aimed at summer camps.

The legislation targets programs offering emotional and behavioral help to troubled teens.

Some are religious or wilderness-based. Some take only a handful of teens while others accept hundreds. Each program targets children of different ages.

These differences make it difficult to establish a one-size-fits-all solution, opponents argued.  :roll:

Although both supporters and opponents envision some form of regulations in the future, they disagree on how best to achieve that goal. Pat McKenna, owner of The Monarch School in Heron, argued that program officials were left out of the drafting of Schmidt's bill.

And they see this as a valid argument? There's a process for the public to give comments. Why should they be given special treatment? You'd think they were members of the senate.

"In Montana, there's such a diversity in schools, which allows students of different ages and makeup to get help they haven't had before," he said.

Other opponents argued that regulatory measures, such as those in 18 other states, will drive up costs, which will weigh heavily on the families who have to pay increased tuition. Regulations are an unnecessary burden on programs that do not receive federal or state funding and have been operating for decades, said Mickey Manning, now principal of Spring Creek Lodge near Thompson Falls.

Lame argument and they should be required to prove that regs will drive up costs. And... even if it were true, is the cost of program more important that protective regulations? Unnecessary burden? I can not believe they would have the nerve to say this pubicly.

Manning said she stumbled on Spring Creek when her daughter was using drugs and refused to go to school. Her daughter, who completed the program, is now a student at the Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell.

"I can thank Montana for allowing more options than the over-regulated, one-size-fits-all system that some other states offer," Manning said. "I can thank Montana for allowing me as a parent ... to find the appropriate place for my daughter and be fully knowledgeable about my daughter. Without Spring Creek my daughter would be dead."

Is the senate buying this shit? Un-f'in-believable!!!

Paul Clark, a former state representative from Trout Creek, is owner of the Galena Ridge teen program. He talked about the bill with his students ? two of whom then decided to testify against the bill Monday.

Sean Beardsley, 18, is on track to graduate from the program this year. Some supporters of the bill argue that part of the need for regulation is the seclusion of these teens from their parents. Beardsley testified that, at first, he wasn't allowed contact his parents, but that it was for his own good. Now he writes his father a letter every week, he said.  

::noway:: Can not believe they are allowed to use the kids this way. A letter once a week. What's his diagnosis and service plan, and who created it? Or is it the standard one-size-fits-all?

Taylor Bradley, 16, argued the bill is in violation of the separation of church and state.

"The state should not have any say in any type of religious organization," he said.

Regulation of the facilities may be inevitable. Linda Carpenter, of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs, said that federal legislation is already making its way through Congress. The state needs to regulate itself before the federal government throws down mandates that don't meet state needs, she said.

Schmidt's legislation is Senate Bill 288; Lake's bill is House Bill 769.

Post a Comment   View All Comments  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments by: robingay Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:07 pm
For anyone questioning the need for oversight when it comes to behavioral programs for teens, I wish you would read "Help At Any Cost: How the Troubled Teen Industry Cons Parents and Hurts Kids" by Maia Szalavitz. The number of teenage lives ended or destroyed in many of these programs is devastating. As for religious camps - I don't trust the untrained or fanatical members of their staffs with our children despite a church's backing. If they have nothing to hide requiring them to keep records and make them available to oversight should be no more a problem than knowing my phone may be tapped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post a Comment   View All Comments  
Originally published March 13, 2007

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 06:42:18 AM »
This may be a stupid question ... but I am interested in knowing what Federal regulations exist for parochial schools.  Are they regulated in the same way as public schools?  Do they have accountability to anyone ... or are they "self regulated"?

If these programs have nothing to hide ... and are operating within the confines of ethical treatment, etc., then what is there beef with complying with set standards?  

Rhetorical question I know.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »
Quote from: ""Truth Searcher""
This may be a stupid question ... but I am interested in knowing what Federal regulations exist for parochial schools.  Are they regulated in the same way as public schools?  Do they have accountability to anyone ... or are they "self regulated"?

If these programs have nothing to hide ... and are operating within the confines of ethical treatment, etc., then what is there beef with complying with set standards?  

Rhetorical question I know.

No they are not, they are restricted but not as much as public schools which receive state funding.

Charter schools are actually renewing public education, they don?t have to adhere to all the tedious and overbearing state regulations and can get on with the task of education our minors, choosing a rich curriculum .  They don?t have to have a flag in the corner of the room or a picture of GWB or pledge allegiance or 3.5 hours of sex education per month.  Very angry parents are finding a way to distant themselves from state oversight and regulation so their kids can get educated.
As time goes on and the charter schools grow they will accept more and more state money and will have to conform to more regulations but hopefully the states will wake up by then and use the better of the emerging charter schools as a model for a new public school system.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
INDUSTRY SELF-REGULATION
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
Yeah......cause who want's their kids knowing the pledge of allegiance?