Author Topic: st. pete straight early 80's  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
st. pete straight early 80's
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:36:59 AM »
Hi, just looking to see if anyone here knew my dad. His name was Kevin Mclamb and he was in straight from 79 or 80 until - ? He unfortunately commited suicide before I ever got to meet him, so I was just looking to see if any of you might have known him.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »
I didn't know your dad.  I was in $tr8 up in Springfield, VA from 85-87.  At the time that your dad was in there, St. Pete was one of the toughest $tr8 programs.  You wouldn't have wanted to be there.  There is a long list of people from the various $tr8 programs who intentionally ended their own lives.  I'm sorry.  I wish I could do more to help.  All I can do is wish you luck in your search, and offer you my deepest sympathy.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »
I was obsessed with the idea of suicide for a while.  I was under so much pressure with no way out.  The world wanted me dead.  They tried to erase me, like I was a mistake.  

I understand why people take themselves out. I see the relationship between the psychological adaptations which we were forced to make in order to survive $tr8 and the reasoning that leads to suicide.  Those psych. adaptations we made in order to endure the program were only appropriate for surviving $tr8.  They weren't appropriate for getting along in society.  On top of that they were made at a crucial time in mental developement.  The more I think about it the more I come to appreciate Woofs analogy of the poured cement.  I am forged in that experience.

We were held prisoner and given no rights.  We were forced to trade our most coveted selves for our existence.  We were forced to give up things more precious than blood.  Things we cannot hardly get back.  And I hope you see this too, Bonnie H.  

....cause at some point, after all the manipulation, coercion, public school system into $tr8; brainwash-mind-rape and your integrity is shattered and your time has all been stolen from you, and you start to believe that the world is trying to oppress you in some kind of a semi-personal way, and then when it seems that your whole world is operating against you, it becomes apparent that suicide is the rational way out; that there is a reason you are under so much pressure...that the world doesn't want you and it makes sense to kill yourself...why not take the way out ??  Why not just be alright and oblige the world ??

...But FTW my friend.  

...I don't want them neither.  

...And they can keep all their authority to themselves.

...It's like so long ago but we're all here now on this board discussing what happened and still struggling to see it clearly, but some people are missing.  Some of the kids I was real close too back then are dead an' gone.  I feel like it'd be cool if they were here and we could talk to them about the whole thing too.  I bet they'd have great insight.  I wish they were here.  

Tracy Andersen, I don't really know if he's alive or dead but I heard that he drowned in a flood shortly after graduatin from the place.  He was cool to me.  When I first came in he was on 5th phase.  He must 'a' come in young 'cause he was only 14 or 15 at the time.  He came and got me off the front row to take me to get my hair cut. Halfway to the intake room I told him I wasn't gettin' my hair cut and he asked me directly if I wanted my hair cut or not and when I told him no he said alright and took me back to group with my hair still long.  That was a cool gesture on his part.

Jim Brown was my friend too.  Glenn Steepleton was my friend.  Steve Mathews...there are more... Matt Hunter...Dale Neville...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 04:30:38 AM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: st. pete straight early 80's
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Hi, just looking to see if anyone here knew my dad. His name was Kevin Mclamb and he was in straight from 79 or 80 until - ? He unfortunately commited suicide before I ever got to meet him, so I was just looking to see if any of you might have known him.

There is going to be a memorial service for people like your dad, victims of Straight, inc. that are no longer with us.

It will be held on November 11, 2006 at 6PM.  The St. Petersburg memorial will be held at the Gulf pier at Fort DeSoto Park.  You are welcome to attend.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
your dad...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:49:58 AM »
i was there in early 81.....his name doesn't ring a bell.....if he was there in 81 for some time,i might know him from a picture.....i'm very sorry to hear about him passing......definatly the worst scenario for a person that was in str8 !where was he from? florida? atlanta?.....i wish i could provide you with something,a story or whatever,just so you could know more about your dad......that would be cool,huh?i'm sorry i can't help you....hippie

Offline 122678StPete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 08:13:45 AM »
I was in straight in the late 70's.   I hung around until around 1980.  I may have known your dad.  If you are in stpete, it would be nice if you could attend the memorial service.